Does Snow make another move?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Guys..

I thought the signings in the summer were gonna be the end of things at least until partway through the first half, but it seems like we know we can't get players that we want to sign and the only way to get them is through trade.

We needed a top 4 and I guess we ended up working out one for Boychuk and since there are no guarantees on him resigning, we signed Leddy who will be RFA at the end of this year, which is good.

We filled Our Defence needs, goalie needs and depth needs (pretty much adding a second line)..

There's ONE thing missing (other than a real coach)...That's a top 3 winger. We have guys that can play in a top 3 role, but aren't top 3 material. No, rookies should not play top 3. At least the rookies we have shouldn't. They aren't ready.

Do you guys think Snow "could" be working on a deal for a top 3 and if so, who would it be for?

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A
There are only so many top 3's in the League, and they are hard to get.

I think it's ok for us to have a rookie on the 1st line. We have a great top duo and either Nelson (who isn't even a rookie) or Lee would compliment them well. Many top lines consist of a star duo and a good compliment. Look at Getzlaf-Perry or Seguin-Benn and even the now split-up Stamkos-St. Louis.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If one become available for the right price maybe but I think this is the group we go to Battle with....

Nelson I think is the best internal option for the top LW spot...

Isles like him more at center but with Grabo and Nielsen I think the best way to max our potential is leave Grabo at center and put Nelson on the wing with Johnny

My only fear is Conacher will be the #1 LW and I think that would be a mistake.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I LOVE the idea of Nelson, Lee OR Strome in that spot. Heck, I like Neilsen in that spot too. Isles have options here. I'm not concerned in the least. It isn't like we have some schlub like Matt Moulson who we're forced to play in that role.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Additional moves should be expected

I expect Snow is still working on moving some additional players with the usual suspects being mentioned and expected in return to be draft picks. We should also expect Snow to put a player or two on the IR if more time is needed to complete these transactions.

There is a reason the roster is cut down to very close but not a final number. The final shock and awe is still to come before Thursday is my prediction. The first check point will be at noon Monday when players being waived will have to be filed. 5pm Tuesday is the roster filing deadline.

Conacher-JT-Okposo
Grabo-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Kulle
Martin-CC-Clutter

Pulock gets 9 game look. Griff-BPT.

zhinckley

Dec 18, 2013
I expect Snow is still working on moving some additional players with the usual suspects being mentioned and expected in return to be draft picks. We should also expect Snow to put a player or two on the IR if more time is needed to complete these transactions.

There is a reason the roster is cut down to very close but not a final number. The final shock and awe is still to come before Thursday is my prediction. The first check point will be at noon Monday when players being waived will have to be filed. 5pm Tuesday is the roster filing deadline.

Conacher-JT-Okposo
Grabo-Nelson-Strome
Lee-Nielsen-Kulle
Martin-CC-Clutter

Switch Kulemin and Strome and I think you're right. I don't think they will split Grabo and Kulemin.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Only potential move I see would be trading somebody like Donovan or McDonald instead of exposing them to waivers.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I expect Snow is still working on moving some additional players with the usual suspects being mentioned and expected in return to be draft picks...

...There is a reason the roster is cut down to very close but not a final number. The final shock and awe is still to come before Thursday is my prediction.
Interesting, and I half expect more to come. We are currently 6 million from the cap ceiling, 4 million if you include Rick's buyout. Right off the top I see Donovan going through waivers if Garth can't find a buyer. I can name 6 defensemen on this club that are better than him, and that is without including Reinhart. Unless he can somehow supplant Hickey, and that isn't happening in this universe. Regarding salary, I do expect some form of a purge to reduce headcount. I could also see a significant move to acquire a body as well. One keeps the salary where it is, the other reduces it. I hope we spend. It would thrill me to death to see the lean years go away, finally.

We should also expect Snow to put a player or two on the IR if more time is needed to complete these transactions.
:nod: Every GM plays that game. We haven't needed too because of a lack of quality players.

The first check point will be at noon Monday when players being waived will have to be filed. 5pm Tuesday is the roster filing deadline.
Oh, that's a given with our team. This year may offer some good fruit but we finished high enough that it will be table scraps.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Pulock can play in Bridgeport this year(he was a late 94 bday) so I don't see them keeping him up for a 9 game tryout and sending him back to junior.

My guess is barring injury to both De Haan and Visnovsky, both Reinhart and Pulock start the year in Bridgeport.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If one become available for the right price maybe but I think this is the group we go to Battle with....

Nelson I think is the best internal option for the top LW spot...

Isles like him more at center but with Grabo and Nielsen I think the best way to max our potential is leave Grabo at center and put Nelson on the wing with Johnny

My only fear is Conacher will be the #1 LW and I think that would be a mistake.

Don't know why you think Conacher would be a mistake. First of all, if Conacher plays LW on the 1st line that spreads out our scoring a lot. Any other player who would fit in there instead goes to a different line and provides a scoring punch (Lee, Nelson whoever). Conacher could probably put up 60 points on that line just like any other player we plug in. I don't think he will be a detriment anymore than Moulson or Boyes of the past. I'm not worried about him being there at all...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Switch Kulemin and Strome and I think you're right. I don't think they will split Grabo and Kulemin.

I think they might. I don't think Kulemin is 2nd line material, regardless of chemistry.

I know they want Nelson at center but I have a hard time believing it'd be Grabovski that moves to a wing. Doesn't he have the best faceoff % on the team right now?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Teams these days tend to think of their lines as a "pair + 1". The idea of the all powerful Bossy/Trottier/Gillies 1st line has kinda gone by the wayside with the cap and the size of the league thinning out talent. If you believe that Tavares/Okposo is that "top pair", then all you need is a +1 that's good enough. The team can just roll one of Conacher / Lee / Nelson depending on who's got the hot hand and that should be plenty considering how prolific Tavares and Okposo should be as a tandem.

Isles Shawn

Aug 3, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think they might. I don't think Kulemin is 2nd line material, regardless of chemistry.

I know they want Nelson at center but I have a hard time believing it'd be Grabovski that moves to a wing. Doesn't he have the best faceoff % on the team right now?

Not saying they will but they could have him take faceoffs then play LW.

startainfection*

I think kuli has been dying for a chance to prove he is a top 6 player ever since his awesome season with the leafs a couple of years ago, I say give him the look with ongrabo to start the season and then if any of the dduos of each line need to have the third players switch up to it, if that doesn't work it's time to surprise people with splitting up the duos that people are expecting together (jt and ko, grabo and kuli, Nielsen and grabs, cizikas and Martin) I doubt that it comes to that

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Welp, Snow has answered. Can't imagine anyone is upset with the guys coming in.

All fans looking for a more 'win now' attitude have got to be happy with management at this point. Halak, Johnson, Conacher, Grabovski, Kulemin, Boychuk and Leddy.

Every need has been addressed and not one key young player has been lost in the process.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't see any more moves.

I think the team is hoping that depth up front makes up for the lack of a true top-line LW.

At the deadline, if we are in good position, maybe we would make a move. But that's it.

giddy up*

Can you imagine what this team would look like(on paper) had Vanek resigned?

If he signed we probably wouldn't have gone after Grabo and Kuli. I think that duo provides more balance to the team then one Vanek would have. Although I would've welcomed him back with open arms, I think the moves we made instead may be better. Isles also through a lot of money at Iginla.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I see us get Ryan Johansen from CBJ. He's in a bad contract dispute and most likely won't play in CBJ's home opener.

We might have enough ....let CBJ take salary dump and we get a great guy with potential

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I see us get Ryan Johansen from CBJ. He's in a bad contract dispute and most likely won't play in CBJ's home opener.

We might have enough ....let CBJ take salary dump and we get a great guy with potential

He signed. There really was no doubt in my mind that he was going to play in CBJ this year. It happens every year with a few players.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I think he keeps shopping a forward to recoup a draft pick and clear out the logjam a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad