Player Discussion Does Rodrigues change our depth?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Long-term I would want all three of Rodrigues, Larsson and Girgensons, but there are two factors that impact this. One, is that short-term, I think Moulson, Ennis and possibly Gionta make it very difficult to keep ERod on the roster - you need to lose one of the two, and that is a tall order. Secondly, I don't think Girgensons would be happy on a fourth line, and frankly, if ERod brings this game with consistency, he's a better option that Girgensons in the top 9.

It's not a tall order... Gionta is a UFA, and Ennis/Moulson could be put on waivers and sent to Rochester if the young guys beat them out

No one is happy on the 4th line... tough ****.

Deleted member 27798

I like a bottom 6 of Carrier, Foligno, Rodrigues & Larsson, along with a couple of speedy vets(Gionta maybe for one) going forward for the next few years. Nice combination of speed, physical play, defensive IQ, and some offensive skills.

Girgensons is just so invisible on most nights, I don't know what his future is with the team.

The 4th line for the better part of this season has been a train wreck, and it started with not re-signing Legwand or another vet to anchor the 4th line, and then compounded by the 2 year deal for Des.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's nice to turn up something for relatively nothing. At this point, he offers them some flexibility but I don't see him unseating guys like Larsson or Girgensons nor forcing either one out via trade.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
It's nice to turn up something for relatively nothing. At this point, he offers them some flexibility but I don't see him unseating guys like Larsson or Girgensons nor forcing either one out via trade.

Yep. He will be a good 4th liner.

Which is fine, since our 4th line has been trash lately.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Dunno about that but he fits the Botterill mold of speedy depth guys with a little scoring knack (Sheary, Guentzel, Rust)

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
E-rod could be an important piece of a future deadly 3rd line if he keeps up his level of play

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
ERod is currently sitting at 1.89 5on5 P/60. When you compare that to the past 3 seasons of Sabres forwards the only one to surpass that mark is... Jack Eichel, this season.

I always liked him but I sure as hell never expected him to produce this efficiently.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
ERod is currently sitting at 1.89 5on5 P/60. When you compare that to the past 3 seasons of Sabres forwards the only one to surpass that mark is... Jack Eichel, this season.

I always liked him but I sure as hell never expected him to produce this efficiently.

Some of us did

Reactions: Reddawg

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Good middle six option. I like his skating, he twists and turns like few others on our team.

Could be part of a good third line.
Rod-Casey-Okposo would be nice.

Reactions: BananaSquad

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
ERod is a player that can play all over the lineup. you can plug him beside any of the top 3 centers and he will fit in nicely. He needs a nice healthy run as he seems to gain confidence and improve the more he plays. You definitely need players like ERod in your lineup in the salary cap era as he is a very useful player who doesn't break the bank.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Erod definitely makes the LW holes in the top 6 slightly less worrisome.

He’s got a ways to go in terms of a complete game, but his puck skill and speed are needed.

Still would like to see what he could do on Jack's wing - right or left, I don't care.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Further, some combo of Jack, O'Regan and Rodrigues would be interesting, albeit maddening defensively. If they could figure out a way to not get caved in...

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
He just seems like a veteran out there. Really like how smart and responsible he plays and he is certainly creative enough to be effective Really liking his game

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yes, I am sure you expected him to put up Mitch Marner numbers on the most offensively challenged team in the NHL. Show me where.
I've been advocating for E-Rod in the top six for at least a year. He's one of the best passers on the team, and attaching him to Jack's side can only be good for both of them and the team.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Further, some combo of Jack, O'Regan and Rodrigues would be interesting, albeit maddening defensively. If they could figure out a way to not get caved in...
I agree with e-rod w jack, but I think we need to pump the brakes on the oreagen talk. Let him earn his spot out of Roch. He's still nothing more than a depth bottom 6er/prospect to me

I do think erod-eichel-larry could be an unusually solid trio tho.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with e-rod w jack, but I think we need to pump the brakes on the oreagen talk. Let him earn his spot out of Roch. He's still nothing more than a depth bottom 6er/prospect to me

I do think erod-eichel-larry could be an unusually solid trio tho.

Are they binding small rockets to Larsson's skates? O'Regan will get a look next camp. I suppose it depends on if they want to run Eichel out with lesser lights (which they've done most of this season to be honest... I'm looking at the Pom/Pou duo) then they might looks at it as though he can elevate someone. We know they can mesh - ERod and O'Regan even independent of Eichel played well together at times at BU. Perhaps they could use the two with Mittelstadt on a Roy-esque line to eat up third pairings and weaker defensive matchups. There are options.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Are they binding small rockets to Larsson's skates? O'Regan will get a look next camp. I suppose it depends on if they want to run Eichel out with lesser lights (which they've done most of this season to be honest... I'm looking at the Pom/Pou duo) then they might looks at it as though he can elevate someone. We know they can mesh - ERod and O'Regan even independent of Eichel played well together at times at BU. Perhaps they could use the two with Mittelstadt on a Roy-esque line to eat up third pairings and weaker defensive matchups. There are options.

there are options for sure. just saying you should temper you're expectations w o'regan. he hasn't shown us anything yet. e-rod, on the other hand, has been great for what he brings

TBH nothing I've seen this year tells me that Larsson has lost speed, he's still fast, he can still play with skill, and has the same rattiness he always has to his game. obviously he's better suited as a 4th line center, but where we are now he could bolster an Eichel/e-rod combo with his defense while being able to keep up in the neutral and ozones

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
there are options for sure. just saying you should temper you're expectations w o'regan. he hasn't shown us anything yet. e-rod, on the other hand, has been great for what he brings

TBH nothing I've seen this year tells me that Larsson has lost speed, he's still fast, he can still play with skill, and has the same rattiness he always has to his game. obviously he's better suited as a 4th line center, but where we are now he could bolster an Eichel/e-rod combo with his defense while being able to keep up in the neutral and ozones

I've never thought of Larsson as fast. His arm injury hasn't helped his stick skills.

As for O'Regan, in limited views he seems to be further along than Rodrigues was when he "arrived" toward the end of last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad