Player Discussion Does Rodrigues change our depth?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This is more of a 2017/18 question, but does Evan Rodrigues' play (small sample size) make either one of Grigensons or Larsson expendable in a trade? He's been out there on the PK and against teams top lines (2-way), Bylsma threw him out there in the shootout AND in OT (lots of guys didn't make it out there in OT). That's more than you do with a 4th line center. I always looked at him as a one dimensional winger, but he's shaping out to be a whole lot more. Pleasant surprise.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This is more of a 2017/18 question, but does Evan Rodrigues' play (small sample size) make either one of Grigensons or Larsson expendable in a trade? He's been out there on the PK and against teams top lines (2-way), Bylsma threw him out there in the shootout AND in OT (lots of guys didn't make it out there in OT). That's more than you do with a 4th line center. I always looked at him as a one dimensional winger, but he's shaping out to be a whole lot more. Pleasant surprise.

For sure. He's the only decent surprise of this year. I love Zemgus so I'd move Larson but I want something decent back.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm hoping that we found our 4C for the next 10 years. I like how he is being entrusted with PK/OT time as a rookie. He doesn't quit and has more skill then you'd expect. I could see him as the lynchpin of a 4th line chipping in ~10 goals a year with a high motor.

A 4th line of Carrier-ERod-X long term sounds very enticing.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Fans will love him until he gets tossed in the bin of old forgotten toys like Larsson, Girgensons and Foligno. Buffalo fans love their bottom 6 forwards but hate bottom 6 consistency.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Fans will love him until he gets tossed in the bin of old forgotten toys like Larsson, Girgensons and Foligno. Buffalo fans love their bottom 6 forwards but hate bottom 6 consistency.

Agree. Until they legitimately price themselves out we already have solid bottom 6 depth and younger guys coming. The only caveat to this convo is if you think erod is a legit center because 4c is a gaping hole for us...that's a legit convo to have...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You usually want your 4C to be a stalwart at face offs but honestly with the way ERod hustles and how hard he skates I'd gladly look over him being mediocre at face offs and have him be the lynchpin of the 4th line. He is just a solid hockey player. Not flashy but has enough skill to cash in a 2 on 1 or one time a perfect pass into the net. He looks like a player who will chip in 10 goals a year and give 110%.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Big fan of the tenacity he brings. I wanna see a 3rd line of Foligno-Larsson-Rodrigues next year. I want him to have a spot in the lineup despite all the center slots most likely being taken.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Why would it make Larsson or Girgensons expendable?

Long term, though he's shown well in this short stint, I'm still not convinced that ERod's future is at center. Same with Girgensons.

I'd stick with all 3 for now, unless one of them is some major piece in a deal to land us Risto's long term partner.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He really does remind me of Pominville - as his shooting ability is under-rated. He also seems to be very effective as a two-way player with his skating so good. That's what I see Girgs and Larsson as expendable, and why he is pushing into that top 9 depth.

If you give him PK time and OT time, that in itself makes something other than a fourth liner. Bylsma also does not appear to be afraid to put him out there for defensive zone draws.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He really does remind me of Pominville - as his shooting ability is under-rated. He also seems to be very effective as a two-way player with his skating so good. That's what I see Girgs and Larsson as expendable, and why he is pushing into that top 9 depth.

If you give him PK time and OT time, that in itself makes something other than a fourth liner. Bylsma also does not appear to be afraid to put him out there for defensive zone draws.

I wouldn't get too carried away with Erod's over all skills based on Disco's usage. I wouldn't call him a two way player at this point. I wouldn't dismiss it either. Just too small of a sample.

He certainly adds depth and is waiver exempt. So he can start in Rochester. The entire premise of depth is adding to what you have btw. I would be more interested in keeping Erod in the fold as well as Larsson and Girgs.

Last edited:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I'm hoping that we found our 4C for the next 10 years. I like how he is being entrusted with PK/OT time as a rookie. He doesn't quit and has more skill then you'd expect. I could see him as the lynchpin of a 4th line chipping in ~10 goals a year with a high motor.

A 4th line of Carrier-ERod-X long term sounds very enticing.

I'm curious if there's any team around the league that has kept/used the same 4th line center for 10 years?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

no, not really.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

No, there's always room for guys like Girgs and Larsson and E-Rod, utility players.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
I wouldn't get too carried away with Erod's over all skills based on Disco's usage. I wouldn't call him a two way player at this point. I wouldn't dismiss it either. Just too small of a sample.

He certainly adds depth and is waiver exempt. So he can start in Rochester. The entire premise of depth is adding to what you have btw. I would be more interested in keeping Erod in the fold as well as Larsson and Girgs.

It's strange how some fans seem to try to fit one player per line position and view anyone who doesn't fit cleanly into their single set of lines as expendable. It's as though they don't injuries, inconsistency, and need for flexibility into account.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Long term, though he's shown well in this short stint, I'm still not convinced that ERod's future is at center. Same with Girgensons.

I think Girgensons is a much much better player at center than he is on the wing. He looks almost lost playing wing, but when he's skating up and down the ice playing center, and being responsible defensively, he looks so much better. Since day 1 I've never liked him on the wing ... it just doesn't suit his style at all. A 3rd line shut down type center is where I see him.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I like Rod. He shows a nice bit of offensive ability, can skate and has a great energy on the ice. I can't forget that he is pking as well.

He should get another another contract after this year but in no way am I ready to say he changes our depth, at least in a meaningful way.

He has been a nice surprise as a 4C given he was a specialized winger in college. Given that small sample, I'm encouraged but in no way should that change what Murray should do going forward.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I've been really impressed with E-Rod. He's clearly a really smart player and has some skills and a good motor. What I did not appreciate until I went to the Kings game and the Ducks game is how good his skating is. Much better than I thought. He could be a real gem going forward.

As for the OP's question, I was thinking about that earlier. You've got Rodrigues, Zemgus, Larsson - and I would add Carrier into that list. On the one hand, it's too much of the same thing. But on the other hand, it's great to have a lot of guys that are hard to play against. Rodrigues is not as physical as the other guys in this group, but I think he's smarter. I don't mind having them all, but we can also afford to trade forwards for D help if we can find the right deal. You've also got to consider that we still have Foligno, Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste hanging around. And who knows whether they will bring back Gionta for another year or who we lose in the expansion draft (Ennis?).

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've always rooted for E-Rod, a few people wrote him off because how he came into the league. He's played past my expectations; hes my sabres rookie of the year candidate for this season. Hopefully he keeps progressing and becomes solid depth able to move up and down the line.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I wonder if the question is more relevant if asked with regards to Evander Kane?

Given that Kane only has 1 remaining year, and will cost (IMO) too much to re-sign given our other needs/priorities. And given that Larsson/Girgensons are going to remain affordable through RFA...

longer term picture...

ERod-Eichel-Oreilly
Nylander-Reinhart-Okposo
Carrier-Larsson-Fasching (checking/shutdown line)
Baptiste-Girgensons-Bailey (speed based 4th line)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
With Larsson back, I'd much prefer him and Girgs to be 3/4C and Erod being moved to the wing..preferably Eichel's wing, but any wing really.

That being said, I don't think he's pulling a Grant on us. He is a pencil in and ahead of the pack. Carrier/Fasching/Bailey/Baptiste are all going to be competing for a slot after him.

ERod-Eichel-Oreilly
Nylander-Reinhart-Okposo

That's assuming all of the rookies pan out, which is a big if, but a line-up like this leaves us with a lot of money to help the defense, and would make me excited to watch. At the very least, the rookies on the wing in the bottom-6 are all replaceable by cheap veteran UFA, without the center premium price. I think Folingo sticks around for cheap too.

Last edited:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I've always rooted for E-Rod, a few people wrote him off because how he came into the league. He's played past my expectations; hes my sabres rookie of the year candidate for this season. Hopefully he keeps progressing and becomes solid depth able to move up and down the line.

I think it's close between him and Carrier but I'd give the award to Carrier due to how good the Carrier-ROR-Okposo line looked up until ROR got injured.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I'm not sure how he changes our depth moving forward, but he's been the most pleasant surprise of the year for me.

The kid just knows where to go, especially in an aggressive forecheck role. He always seems to be disrupting the puck carrier in the opponents defensive zone.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I wonder if the question is more relevant if asked with regards to Evander Kane?

Given that Kane only has 1 remaining year, and will cost (IMO) too much to re-sign given our other needs/priorities. And given that Larsson/Girgensons are going to remain affordable through RFA...

longer term picture...

ERod-Eichel-Oreilly
Nylander-Reinhart-Okposo

Long-term I would want all three of Rodrigues, Larsson and Girgensons, but there are two factors that impact this. One, is that short-term, I think Moulson, Ennis and possibly Gionta make it very difficult to keep ERod on the roster - you need to lose one of the two, and that is a tall order. Secondly, I don't think Girgensons would be happy on a fourth line, and frankly, if ERod brings this game with consistency, he's a better option that Girgensons in the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad