Speculation: Does Rielly have the Potential to be the Leafs Karlsson?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I don't get the massive love for Karlsson, yes he's fantastic at offense, but defense wise he's never scared me or shown amazing skill like a Pronger or Chara or Weber or Lidstrom has.

You fear Chara on both ends of the ice, you only fear Karlsson's offense when he's on the ice.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I don't get the massive love for Karlsson, yes he's fantastic at offense, but defense wise he's never scared me or shown amazing skill like a Pronger or Chara or Weber or Lidstrom has.

You fear Chara on both ends of the ice, you only fear Karlsson's offense when he's on the ice.

HF just likes to have a love in over a specific player who they'll call the best in the world for a couple of weeks. In past years there have been all kinds of threads like "Is Datsyuk the best player in the world?", "Doughty might be the best player in the league!", "Stamkos is playing like the best player in the world", "Will Kopitar win the Hart?", etc. Right now it's Karlsson's turn. Great player, one of the best for sure, but some people are calling him the best d-man since Orr which is rather premature to say the least.

People were saying the exact same things about Mike Green five years ago. While I think Karlsson is better than Green, I personally think it's pretty insane to elevate him to Lidstrom levels until he maintains his current production for a few more seasons and leads his team deep in the playoffs.

This temporary overrating phenomenon on HF is most extreme the first couple of months of the season where anybody on a hot streak ends up on the league leader charts, and especially if it's a young player.

Last edited:

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I can already see the criticism and disappointment when he rolls into camp and doesn't put up the points like Karlsson.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I can already see the criticism and disappointment when he rolls into camp and doesn't put up the points like Karlsson.

Ridiculous isn't it?

The kid hasn't played a single game in the NHL and it's already started lol.

But at least Jake Gardiner is the next Scott Neidemayer right? :facepalm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Morgan Rielly will not be our Erik Karlsson.... Morgan Rielly will be our Morgan Rielly

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Don't use the word generational in a conversation that doesn't call for it. If it doesn't apply, don't type it out as if to infer and then retract it as if the thought never crossed your mind, but really did.

Qualifying the term generational from source (Most Leaf fans) matters. I realize "splitting hairs" is a convenient way of sweeping away what displeases you when posed with opposite opinions, but if I want to associate generational to a player that can be characterized as an organizationally generational draft pick, or a generational talent (ie exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone on a competitive Leafs squad) on the basis of speculation that had he been healthy he would have challenged for first overall in the draft, I will, without apology or your permissive qualification.

Try text-reading instead of mind-reading, Stephen.

I think Rielly is an exceptional prospect and should be a pretty good bet at being an exceptional player.

Exceptional? Exceptional on the basis and opposed to what, Stephen?

But there you go again with this stupid little game of cat and mouse with the term "generational". "He isn't 'generational' but maybe he could be generational if we modify the definition of generational. Anything's possible, right?"

Here's the quote you're referencing as "cat and mouse" :

Infer from that any thing your heart desires. I'll mine quotes from other threads another time. Suffice it to say for the sake of expediency...Lots of Leafs fans haven't been this excited since...<insert whatever prospect floats your boat, Stepehen>. It's not to say, I or anyone else qualify Morgan Reilly as a generational talent at the exclusion of <insert as many prospects as you like>, but to say he shows exceptional promise.

So where you get this schizotypal referencing from, I don't know, but it's not the letters on the page/screen, Stephen. And the absurd extent of potential isn't something you can reasonably deduce from my comments. That's your inabiliity to compare players at similar points in their career and reconclie commonality where it exists as reasonable consideration that an exceptional player from the start might likewise have an exceptional career.

Erik Karlsson is an exceptional player among exceptional players in terms of pure production, in terms of the age he did it and in terms of the Norris Trophy (deserved or not) at such a young age. The Erik Karlsson invocation is pretty specific in this instance. What generational quality are you reasonably expecting out of Rielly

-A season where he finishes in the top 11 in NHL scoring?
-Wins a Norris Trophy within the next 3 years?
-Score Almost 80 points a year?

Right. Karlsson IS. Reilly MIGHT BE. And that "MIGHT BE" in a discussion about POTENTIAL is germane. Exceptional? Karlsson didn't start out with that tag. Reilly has. It is reasonable in a conversation speculating about exceptional players to say exception begets exception. As I mentioned previously, Karlsson exceeded expectation with respect to exceptionality. Reilly merely has to meet his expectation in order to remain in the conversation. A conversation about...potential.

Because I don't think he'll do any of those things. But if we're not dead set on some kind of Erik Karlsson comparison here, why don't we just say, "Morgan Rielly will be a smooth skating elite number one defenseman and franchise cornerstone of a competitive Leafs team" and call it a day?

Why do you need anybody to agree with your analogy in order for the conversation to be authenticated as something integral? Point of fact, I agree with you that he will be:

- Exceptional
- An Elite Number One Defenceman
- A Franchise Cornerstone (on a competitive Leafs squad)

What begs the question, Stephen...Is how you can have in your opinion of Morgan Reilly, those descriptors , coupled with the knowledge that Morgan Reilly was regarded as those things coming out of the draft to the point he was a reasonable consideration for it's first overall pick. And without an NHL game or season played, conclude that it's absurd to believe in Morgan Reilly's potential as something reasonably achievable to that of a player who exceeded his expectation.

What is this comparison about other than comparing Rielly's potential to Karlsson's career spike anyway?

You mean other than an exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone on a competitive Leafs squad, Stephen? I think the thread's topic allows for reasonable expectation that within those descriptors, at some point, Morgan Relly COULD be those things. Whether it's in his third season or his sixth, I don't think matters. That's the reference to the spike, Stephen. The spike isn't going to render either player's potential one way or another over the span of a career and what they mean to their respective clubs.

Because I'm pretty sure when a guy like you is throwing around the term generational in his sentences isn't referring to the Karlsson that put up good offensive numbers but a horrible -30 +/- in his sophomore year and got ripped to shreds about it.

Well, I'm not so sure of what you're sure of given the wildly mischaracterized representations of my statements, Stephen, but the point about referencing careers and expectations in a conversation about potential, is to say that at some point allowances for anomaly either way dont accomodate the kind of absurd reduction you're applying to a prospect of exceptional potential.

Karlsson has a Norris Trophy, and vastly superior offense, so I'll will not accept this argument and cut this off.

Reilly hasn't played a game. The conversation is about potential. Reilly's starting point lends reasonable consideration that he could become an exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone...Would love to hear how such a description removes him from the possibility of being Karlsson-like at some point in his career.

I'm not speculating on Karlsson's future career arc in either direction. I am looking at the peak which Karlsson has achieved up to this point and I think it's highly, highly unlikely Rielly achieves this level of production and success this soon, which is what makes 'Karlsson uniquely Karlsson.'

Otherwise we could talk about Phaneuf or Lidstrom.

If you're going to weigh in one prospect's career, I think it only fair and unbias to compare other careers in the NHL in order to provide balance in projection. Reilly's path may incorporate parts of Phaneuf's quick first year rise into his second and a smoother transition to a dynamic third. The reason for multiple comparisons is merely to show that a number of things can and have happened.

Confusing notion in a discussion about a prospect and his likely exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone type of arc, but I'm sure a few more hairs and the concept will eventually yield some fruit apart from absurdity.

Did I miss the paragraph in the OP that asked us to take out our Tarot cards and extrapolate what Karlsson's career might look like in 15 years and then compare it to the Tarot card reading of Rielly's?

Because any sane individual would simply look at what one player has already done, and ask himself if the comparison in question is likely to do what's been achieved.

You certainly didn't miss the imaginary prescription that advised you to use your Tarot Cards on Morgan Reilly's actualized career. Splitting hairs again, I know, I know...

Which conversation? Generational talent?

Steven Stamkos is an exceptional example of a number one pick. He is an exceptional exceptional. As in, he's better than other things labeled as exceptional. Like Taylor Hall.

So Stamkos is an exception to Ovechkin and Crosby? If that's your definitional model at work I can see where you exclude the possibility of any subsequent draft's like positional player to challenge your choices for exceptional example.

You are saying that "IF Morgan Rielly was healthy, and IF he was good enough to be picked first overall as a result of being healthy, and then IF he was an exceptional example of a first overall pick, he could reasonably have the POTENTIAL...

Yeah that's a lot of if's.

No those are if's traded amongst hockey professionals in the game and in the media. That like Galchenyuk who was injured most of his season prior to being drafted, and similarly entertained hypotheticals speaking to his viability as the number one overall pick instead of Yakupov, but for his injuries, the same consideration was being given to Reilly.

That Reilly could have been the first overall selection had he been healthy wasn'r a conversation that stated the absurd, it merely took into consideration his skillset, his intangibles, the collective apprehension of profesional scouts and determined that he could have (See reasonable to conclude) challenged for that spot that our GM claimed was his valuation in spite of his injuries.

I don't see the value in splitting hairs on the definition of potential/realizing potential, because people like you are simply interested in taking that leap of logic and conflating the two together, throwing the word generational around and invoking some big names.

Your claim is that it's a leap of logic to allow for the possibility that a prospect regarded as an elite, offensive, projected number one franchise cornerstone defenceman WILL NOT become an elite, offensive, number one franchise cornerstone defenceman that in some way approaches the character/quality of Karlsson.

And how many elite offensive, number one franchise cornerstone defencemen surface year in and year out? And how wide is the gap between that description and Erik Karlsson?

I'm a huge Morgan Rielly fan, and I think he has the potential to be the franchise cornerstone of the Leafs, an elite defenseman with an electric offensive impact on the power play and special teams.

And yet in a conversation about potential you...nevermind...:shakehead

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

I guess but I fear Karlssom MUCH more then I do Chara when either is in our zone.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I think it was obvious based on my next sentence that I was implying that he is the best defenceman in the world.

Anyway,

Karlsson was head and shoulders better than basically every defenceman at the World Juniors not named Pietrangelo and thats what I remember.

He stood out from a large number of players in that tournament and in Sweden he was playing against men at age 18.

So how anyone can compare Rielly to Karlsson at this point is really discrediting Karlsson more than they are pumping up Rielly because Rielly isn't even that dominant in his own junior league and certainly wasn't at the World Juniors where he was playing against the best of his international peers his own age.

So when Karlsson was drafted you thought he would or could be the best defence man in the world ?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think it was obvious based on my next sentence that I was implying that he is the best defenceman in the world.

Anyway,

Karlsson was head and shoulders better than basically every defenceman at the World Juniors not named Pietrangelo and thats what I remember.

He stood out from a large number of players in that tournament and in Sweden he was playing against men at age 18.

So how anyone can compare Rielly to Karlsson at this point is really discrediting Karlsson more than they are pumping up Rielly because Rielly isn't even that dominant in his own junior league and certainly wasn't at the World Juniors where he was playing against the best of his international peers his own age.

Rielly had a good world Jr under a very poor coach with limited ice time. He is also eligible to go back again next year as he was 18 years old.

Rielly is not a player that you should pick on as he is a lot better then you think....you have never seen him play and thus you are basing your opinion on nothing more then a few TV appearances.

All that I know is the Rielly is the best player we have drafted in a very long time.....time will tell just what impact on the game he will have, but my guess is that he will be among the best offensively and to me that will be great.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Reilly will never be able to skate like Karlsson. Karlsson could be an elite forward. His shot is also alot better. Reilly I think is just below that level potentail wise. Possibly a tad better than Gardiner for Reilly long term.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Reilly will never be able to skate like Karlsson. Karlsson could be an elite forward. His shot is also alot better. Reilly I think is just below that level potentail wise. Possibly a tad better than Gardiner for Reilly long term.

I actually think that Rielly could skate as good as Karlsson. If anything, Rielly's shot is not even close to Karlsson's accuracy, but skating wise, I wouldn't say they will be that far apart, come sooner or later.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Qualifying the term generational from source (Most Leaf fans) matters. I realize "splitting hairs" is a convenient way of sweeping away what displeases you when posed with opposite opinions, but if I want to associate generational to a player that can be characterized as an organizationally generational draft pick, or a generational talent (ie exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone on a competitive Leafs squad) on the basis of speculation that had he been healthy he would have challenged for first overall in the draft, I will, without apology or your permissive qualification.

Try text-reading instead of mind-reading, Stephen.

Sure, let's lower the definition of a word and mis-apply it to everything. Komarov is a "generational third line checking cente", Ben Scrivens is a "generational back up goaltender", etc.

Exceptional? Exceptional on the basis and opposed to what, Stephen?

Here's the quote you're referencing as "cat and mouse" :

Infer from that any thing your heart desires. I'll mine quotes from other threads another time. Suffice it to say for the sake of expediency...Lots of Leafs fans haven't been this excited since...<insert whatever prospect floats your boat, Stepehen>. It's not to say, I or anyone else qualify Morgan Reilly as a generational talent at the exclusion of <insert as many prospects as you like>, but to say he shows exceptional promise.

So where you get this schizotypal referencing from, I don't know, but it's not the letters on the page/screen, Stephen. And the absurd extent of potential isn't something you can reasonably deduce from my comments. That's your inabiliity to compare players at similar points in their career and reconclie commonality where it exists as reasonable consideration that an exceptional player from the start might likewise have an exceptional career.

What commonalities do Karlsson and Rielly even share at this point in their careers? One was a guy who put up okay numbers in the SEL and did well in the WJC, and the other is a guy who is putting up good numbers in the WHL, while on a bad team, and struggling in the WJC on an underachieving Canadian team.

One was a physically immature defenseman who was very underweight, while Rielly is a guy who is pro size and much more mature.

Maybe you can actually address each of the players instead of finishing each of your sentences by using my name as some kind of taunt, okay, ITM?

Right. Karlsson IS. Reilly MIGHT BE. And that "MIGHT BE" in a discussion about POTENTIAL is germane. Exceptional? Karlsson didn't start out with that tag. Reilly has. It is reasonable in a conversation speculating about exceptional players to say exception begets exception. As I mentioned previously, Karlsson exceeded expectation with respect to exceptionality. Reilly merely has to meet his expectation in order to remain in the conversation. A conversation about...potential.

No, it is "germane" you pretentious ****, since we all know Karlsson is ALREADY exceptional, and you want to compare a 19 year old Rielly to a 23 year old Erik Karlsson, not a 19 year old Karlsson to a 19 year old Rielly.

Rielly has a crap ton of potential to be his own special player, but there's no sense in attaching it to Karlsson's career trajectory and ceiling because it is so ridiculously abnormal.

Why do you need anybody to agree with your analogy in order for the conversation to be authenticated as something integral? Point of fact, I agree with you that he will be:

- Exceptional
- An Elite Number One Defenceman
- A Franchise Cornerstone (on a competitive Leafs squad)

What begs the question, Stephen...Is how you can have in your opinion of Morgan Reilly, those descriptors , coupled with the knowledge that Morgan Reilly was regarded as those things coming out of the draft to the point he was a reasonable consideration for it's first overall pick. And without an NHL game or season played, conclude that it's absurd to believe in Morgan Reilly's potential as something reasonably achievable to that of a player who exceeded his expectation.

Because Erik Karlsson's achievement up to this point, mostly his big year last year, is pretty much abhorrent to what other elite defensemen accomplish up to that age in production and awards.

Why do you perceive the stupidity of this Karlsson comparison as some kind of insult anyway? Would you be upset if I said Nathan Mackinnon is unlikely to score 76 goals in his rookie year or something like that?

You mean other than an exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone on a competitive Leafs squad, Stephen? I think the thread's topic allows for reasonable expectation that within those descriptors, at some point, Morgan Relly COULD be those things. Whether it's in his third season or his sixth, I don't think matters. That's the reference to the spike, Stephen. The spike isn't going to render either player's potential one way or another over the span of a career and what they mean to their respective clubs.

An exceptional elite number one defenseman on a competitive squad doesn't have to look like Erik Karlsson or be compared to the association of an 80 point scoring Norris winner at 23. Drew Doughty is one, Alex Pietrangelo is one. Why are you so threatened by the suggestion that Rielly is unlikely to achieve Erik Karlsson achievements?

Well, I'm not so sure of what you're sure of given the wildly mischaracterized representations of my statements, Stephen, but the point about referencing careers and expectations in a conversation about potential, is to say that at some point allowances for anomaly either way dont accomodate the kind of absurd reduction you're applying to a prospect of exceptional potential.

Absurd reduction? You haven't come up with one single hockey related point comparing the two other than saying "anything is possible" and typing out my name to be condescending. Can you talk about Rielly's skating, shot arsenal, puckhandling, IQ, passing in reference to Karlsson? You probably can't, I shouldn't even ask you about that.

Reilly hasn't played a game. The conversation is about potential....

No it isn't. It's about your insistence i]on using a specific label to attach to Rielly, isn't it, ITM?

If you're going to weigh in one prospect's career, I think it only fair and unbias to compare other careers in the NHL in order to provide balance in projection. Reilly's path may incorporate parts of Phaneuf's quick first year rise into his second and a smoother transition to a dynamic third. The reason for multiple comparisons is merely to show that a number of things can and have happened.

Confusing notion in a discussion about a prospect and his likely exceptional, elite number one defenceman who becomes the franchise cornerstone type of arc, but I'm sure a few more hairs and the concept will eventually yield some fruit apart from absurdity.

You certainly didn't miss the imaginary prescription that advised you to use your Tarot Cards on Morgan Reilly's actualized career. Splitting hairs again, I know, I know...

What the hell is the point of such specificity, ITM? You might as well be writing fiction if you want to 'project'. Is it no enough that he'll likely develop into an elite defenseman, but we have to be attaching it to a career arc as well? Something is absurd aright.

So Stamkos is an exception to Ovechkin and Crosby? If that's your definitional model at work I can see where you exclude the possibility of any subsequent draft's like positional player to challenge your choices for exceptional example.

Stamkos is an exception to most normal first overall picks who come in and struggle and then explode. Sure, he's an exception to Ovechkin and Crosby if you want to ask that moronic question. But the logic here is that just because one guy who underachieves as a rookie turns it around overnight and lights up the league doesn't mean all underachievers will turn around and light up the league overnight.

No those are if's traded amongst hockey professionals in the game and in the media. That like Galchenyuk who was injured most of his season prior to being drafted, and similarly entertained hypotheticals speaking to his viability as the number one overall pick instead of Yakupov, but for his injuries, the same consideration was being given to Reilly.

That Reilly could have been the first overall selection had he been healthy wasn'r a conversation that stated the absurd, it merely took into consideration his skillset, his intangibles, the collective apprehension of profesional scouts and determined that he could have (See reasonable to conclude) challenged for that spot that our GM claimed was his valuation in spite of his injuries.

And how many people are out there comparing Galchenyuk to Evgeni Malkin?

Your claim is that it's a leap of logic to allow for the possibility that a prospect regarded as an elite, offensive, projected number one franchise cornerstone defenceman WILL NOT become an elite, offensive, number one franchise cornerstone defenceman that in some way approaches the character/quality of Karlsson.

And how many elite offensive, number one franchise cornerstone defencemen surface year in and year out? And how wide is the gap between that description and Erik Karlsson?

And yet in a conversation about potential you...nevermind...:shakehead

Why do you insist on it being Erik Karlsson? Is it not enough that he's reasonably going to be Morgan Rielly in his own way and we're probably going to love that anyway?

Oh then, I realized you're one of these guys:

Full disclosure: I was disappointed when Burke announced Reilly and not Girgorenko for example. But mea culpa, the more I found out about Reilly the more convinced I became that the selection was the right one.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012

You mean the type that have zero problem acknoweledging deficiency when it's obvious and do so without prompting?

I have a hunch that concept is also far from your intellectual and emotional toolbox , Stephen.

I'll reply to the rest of your rant in a bit.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Rielly had a good world Jr under a very poor coach with limited ice time. He is also eligible to go back again next year as he was 18 years old.

Rielly is not a player that you should pick on as he is a lot better then you think....you have never seen him play and thus you are basing your opinion on nothing more then a few TV appearances.

All that I know is the Rielly is the best player we have drafted in a very long time.....time will tell just what impact on the game he will have, but my guess is that he will be among the best offensively and to me that will be great.

Pretty obvious he hasn't seen Rielly play more than one of those Sportsnet televised Moose Jaw games. Rielly's been fantastic for Moose Jaw. However, one major difference is that he doesn't have Karlsson's shot

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You mean the type that have zero problem acknoweledging deficiency when it's obvious and do so without prompting?

I have a hunch that concept is also far from your intellectual and emotional toolbox , Stephen.

I'll reply to the rest of your rant in a bit.

No, you're an insecure homer who has to overcompensate for your doubts with name associations, because it isn't enough that other people are satisfied with Rielly's upside without having to say he's Erik Karlsson junior. Plenty of guys like you from the Luke Schenn days.

And apparently, you like to spell out my name repeatedly in this condescending fashion, you creep.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No, you're an insecure homer who has to overcompensate for your doubts with name associations, because it isn't enough that other people are satisfied with Rielly's upside without having to say he's Erik Karlsson junior. Plenty of guys like you from the Luke Schenn days.

And apparently, you like to spell out my name repeatedly in this condescending fashion, you creep.

Luke Schenn.

The 5th overall, hybrid Adam Foote - Shea Weber.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012

I think "creep" is more approrpriately applied to posters who have to resort to absurd arguments, ad hominen attacks and the implication of clairvoyance when their emotive rants are deconstructed from the simplest of deductions.

In a speculative thread where potential is the context, it's not the non-existent "insecure homer who has to overcompensate for doubts" who has to mind the intellectual gap...It's the frivoulous schizotypal braggart who opportunes momentary advantage in the form of an incidentally missed keystroke, or revisionist history in an online thread about hypothetical ends as something offensive to his preconceived conclusion because his logic doesn't hold up anymore than his crystal ball does.

And the fact you had to go to another thread and misquote me yet again in attempt to save what little integrity your rants had only reinforces the fact.

And how exactly does a person have to overcompensate about doubts in a speculative thread about potential, Stephen? You would a) have to prove that I have doubts and b) define and demonstrate overcompensation for those doubts and c) justify your accusation of "people" as my target when it's been only you that's been my self-appointed nemesis, lol.

Oh, Stephen, Stephen, Stephen...:sarcasm:

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Sure, let's lower the definition of a word and mis-apply it to everything. Komarov is a "generational third line checking cente", Ben Scrivens is a "generational back up goaltender", etc.

Having problems again with definitions and reasonable application again I see...Leo Komarov, Ben Scrivens and Morgan Reilly fit perfectly into that much loved children's teachable hymn of (all together now)..."One of these things is not like the other..One of these things just doesn't belong..."

Trying to be a chum to you earlier, Stephen in hinting at your examples as being absurd. Please take the hint again...Your example is absurd.

What commonalities do Karlsson and Rielly even share at this point in their careers? One was a guy who put up okay numbers in the SEL and did well in the WJC, and the other is a guy who is putting up good numbers in the WHL, while on a bad team, and struggling in the WJC on an underachieving Canadian team.

One was a physically immature defenseman who was very underweight, while Rielly is a guy who is pro size and much more mature.

Maybe you can actually address each of the players instead of finishing each of your sentences by using my name as some kind of taunt, okay, ITM?

I have addressed what is relevant to the discussion, Stephen. I'm sorry you feel it's insufficient. But assuming your description of an elite, franchise cornerstone is accurate and you've been able to differentiate various characteristics, suffice it to say, the context of potential is being addressed. And...

It's about time you addressed me specifically, Stephen, I was beginning to think you really disliked me, lol. No...You see, I have this nagging proclivity that obligates me to participate in threads as specifically as I can. So in a thread that asks, "Does Reilly have the Potential to be Leafs Karlsson?" , call me a hair-splitter, but I tried to answer the question specifically rather than redefine the thread to support my foregone conclusions. Asking if a thing has the potential allows for reasonable interpretation according to proportional comparison.

The comparisons are above you in the posts posted. In sum, that Reilly hasn't played an NHL game, we can reasonably conclude that Reilly possesses the POTENTIAL to be the Leafs' Karlsson by infering from each player's draft certain known factors. We know Reilly is regarded as exceptional amongst his class. We know Karlsson was not regarded as such. Karlsson has exceeded expectation. In order for Reilly to meet requirements of like potential, he merely has to meet them. As to how exacting that potential materializes, no one knows, Stephen. Including you. But the possibility from reasonable consideration remains, that Reilly because he is of exceptional talent (Reference your descriptors if you must), it is reasonable to insert Reilly into categories of like exception.

No, it is "germane" you pretentious ****, since we all know Karlsson is ALREADY exceptional, and you want to compare a 19 year old Rielly to a 23 year old Erik Karlsson, not a 19 year old Karlsson to a 19 year old Rielly.

Rielly has a crap ton of potential to be his own special player, but there's no sense in attaching it to Karlsson's career trajectory and ceiling because it is so ridiculously abnormal.

The Ad Hom. When it doubt, when the argument falls apart, call the guy names. LOL -- Fantastic...Starting Points, Comparisons and Potential. Confusing concepts for Stephen, apparently.

And if you'd learn how to read you'd note I didn't necessarily attach Reilly's career arc to Karlsson. Thus the Phaneuf comparison as an example of how and that careers run differently. GO BACK AND READ IT, STEPHEN. IT'S THERE. LOL

And the reason it's necessary to attach Reilly's POTENTIAL career to Karlsson's career, IS BECAUSE THE TITLE OF THE THREAD -- <GASP> -- REFLECTS THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD!!! (MINDBLOWING, ISN'T IT, STEPHEN!?)

Because Erik Karlsson's achievement up to this point, mostly his big year last year, is pretty much abhorrent to what other elite defensemen accomplish up to that age in production and awards.

It sure is but that doesn't detract from the fact that you apparently have comprehension issues and it doesn't detract from projecting exceptional prospects having exceptional careers (ie Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos -- my goodness, three? exceptional players?) and it certainly doesn't detract any future defencemen drafted post-Reilly from likewise achieving potential greatness.

Why do you perceive the stupidity of this Karlsson comparison as some kind of insult anyway? Would you be upset if I said Nathan Mackinnon is unlikely to score 76 goals in his rookie year or something like that?

I dont perceive it to be the insult, I percieve your emotive objection while appealing to irrational justifications ruling out potential to be insulting. And no, I wouldn't be..."upset?"...to that position in and of itself anymore than I'm "upset" by your participation here.

An exceptional elite number one defenseman on a competitive squad doesn't have to look like Erik Karlsson or be compared to the association of an 80 point scoring Norris winner at 23. Drew Doughty is one, Alex Pietrangelo is one. Why are you so threatened by the suggestion that Rielly is unlikely to achieve Erik Karlsson achievements?

"Threatened" is too mean a hook, Stephen. No, my problem is I'm too focused on answering the speculative question/topic of the thread. It's you that defines exceptional as excluding comparable proportions, and that's inapplicable. Truly hypocritical on your part I'd add. If the question is supplemented with your characterization and asks:

Does Morgan (an exceptional elite number one franchise cornerstone defenceman) Reilly have the POTENTIAL ( Adjective: Having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future. Noun: Latent qualities or abilities that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness.) to be the Leafs Karlsson?

It's certainly within your right to state that it's unlikely, but to dogmatically reject the possibility, or to outright characterize such a POSSIBILITY while supporting that characterization with a reduction to absurdity (ie Komarov, Scrivens, previous exampes), while claiming to be logical in your defence...that's the offensive part. But truth be told, it's more insulting to your reputation if being regarded as reasonable is of any value to you.

Absurd reduction? You haven't come up with one single hockey related point comparing the two other than saying "anything is possible" and typing out my name to be condescending. Can you talk about Rielly's skating, shot arsenal, puckhandling, IQ, passing in reference to Karlsson? You probably can't, I shouldn't even ask you about that.

Consensus opinion of outright highest offensive potential in his draft class by actual hockey professionals to the extent that that offensive potential was worthy of entertaining the very real notion that but for injuries, Morgan Reilly, like Alex Galchenyuk was a reasonable threat to be taken first overall.

You're right...What was I thinking when thinking of potentiality, exceptionality and offensive upside in defencemen in a thread speculating on potential.

And wishing that I can't comment on skillset and knowing that I can't are two very different things, Stephen. But not in your mind, are they?

No it isn't. It's about your insistence i]on using a specific label to attach to Rielly, isn't it, ITM?

What the hell is the point of such specificity, ITM? You might as well be writing fiction if you want to 'project'. Is it no enough that he'll likely develop into an elite defenseman, but we have to be attaching it to a career arc as well? Something is absurd aright.

Hey look...I can underline your unintended faux pas for the appearance of momentary advantage too, Stephen!

On a more serious note, again, read the Phaneuf/Lidstrom comment , you obviously missed it. Surprise.

Stamkos is an exception to most normal first overall picks who come in and struggle and then explode. Sure, he's an exception to Ovechkin and Crosby if you want to ask that moronic question. But the logic here is that just because one guy who underachieves as a rookie turns it around overnight and lights up the league doesn't mean all underachievers will turn around and light up the league overnight.

Nope. You don't get to canalize comparisons when it suits your feelings and preconceived conclusions, Stephen. Stamkos was simply a horrific example on your part. Had you checked a few drafts prior you would have seen that.

In those three instances, exception begets exception. But in your private world, what's good for Karlsson can't be good for anyone else. So naturally, you'll argue the absurd notion that Ovechkin, Crosby and Stamkos are entirely dissimilar to retrofit your attack's needs...In a thread about potential and exceptional talent no less.

And how many people are out there comparing Galchenyuk to Evgeni Malkin?

Might as well ask how many people are comparing you to a chimp, the effect is the same. You brought up Stamkos poorly, and you're insisting that this thread has no business comparing Reilly to Karlsson despite it not being your thread and it being very much about Reilly, potentially, being Toronto's Karlsson.

You know that no one's talking about cloning, right, Stephen?

Why do you insist on it being Erik Karlsson? Is it not enough that he's reasonably going to be Morgan Rielly in his own way and we're probably going to love that anyway?

Because I'm crazy like that...All up in people's threads and actually answering their crazy specific and speculative questions and sh......!

Mhm...Answered this above, but for giggles...You mean the kind that can actually admit appropriate culpability when wrong, and actually use new information to inform and advise where altering opinion is warranted? And proud of it, sport.

At least I'm not one of "these guys" that retrofits reality to fit preconceived conclusions to the point that I actually demand the rules of logic change lest I actually pitch a fit and name call, Stephen, lol.

And in all of this...You've ranted and vented spleen and you're hurt by someone positing a possibility in a speculative thread calling for speculation on potential.

Talk about overcompensating for doubts....Oh wait...That was obvious when you fell apart, name called and mined a quote from another thread.

Good job, Stephen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad