Speculation: Does Rielly have the Potential to be the Leafs Karlsson?

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
After reading the Karlsson is best Player Thread on the main boards it got me thinking about Rielly and what he could be. Both are amazing skaters with high hockey IQ. Karlsson wasn't the best defensive defense man when he started although this season he's been very good in his own end. I think Reilly *could* take the same route as well. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Karlson is a rare player. We'd be happy if he was half as good as Karlson.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Karlsson has off the charts offence. Very very very few Dmen have ever hit 70+ points, especially these days.

Rielly also has a bit more weight on him, so can play a slightly more physical game (though still far from what would be considered a hard-nosed player).

So there are differences. Rielly's probably more similar to Doughty, and we'd be very lucky if the two became comparable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As much as I love Rielly's game, I'll have to say no. Erik Karlsson is catching lightning in a bottle, and chances are it's not happening, especially when you're waiting for it to happen.

It really doesn't look like Rielly had the big follow up year to being drafted as we had all hoped.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
It will be years before anyone here can give you an answer. Karlsson is absolutely phenomenal, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I love the way people think. it's hilarious...

Karlsson before he was good - "OMG shut up, he's never going to be as good as (insert name)"

Now (new player drafted) - "He will never be as good as Karlsson"

meah it's all non sense

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Letang or Keith, maybe. Karlsson, no chance.

Yup, this.

Karlsson is a rare bird.

You can make the argument Karlsson is the most valuable player in the NHL. Well certainly one of the top 5 or so at least. Given his age, salary, injury history and accomplishments (Norris at 21) the guy could easily be in the conversation for #1 overall pick in the entire NHL if doing a mock draft.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
As much as I love Rielly's game, I'll have to say no. Erik Karlsson is catching lightning in a bottle, and chances are it's not happening, especially when you're waiting for it to happen.

It really doesn't look like Rielly had the big follow up year to being drafted as we had all hoped.

What? I think he's had a great year prospect-wise. Putting up almost PPG post draft is impressive (for a defenseman), especially considering the circumstances of him sitting out 80% of the previous season.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

He's at nearly a point a game (38 points in 42 games) on one of the WORST teams in the WHL. And he's about even in +/-.

His team has scored ~140 goals and have allowed ~190.

That's absurd! Moose Jaw is absolutely atrocious. Classic case of just stat watching here.

If he was on one of the better WHL teams he would have 50 points in 42 games easily.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

We may still see a glimpse. Moose Jaw wont be in the playoffs so he'll end the season in the AHL or maybe with the Leafs. He has been the reason that team had any success. The only thing was he didn't have a stand out performance at the WJC, but maybe thats cause Spott trustsMurphy and didnt play Rielly as much.

I really like Rielly, but I want to make sure he is developed properly. TBH I dont think we see him for another two years (another in the WHL and one after in the AHL).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I see a lot more Letang in his game.

Letang is a great talent, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Karlsson is lights out good so far this year, as he was last. Guy's already won a Norris and so far would have to be on the list again this year, and he's still new to the league. Maybe a bit much to expect Reilly to reach that kind of dominance. Still, it certainly shows that mobile, offensive D can dominate the game without needing to be huge.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Rielly has similar vision, but Karlsson ability to get pucks on net and his shot in general is on another level. Adds an unpredictability to his game. Shoot or pass whereas guys like Kaberle/Rielly are pass or pass.

I will say that Matt Finn has a heavy shot. As of right now he has the highest goals per game average out of any defense man drafted in 2012 (with the exception of Trouba). Matt Finn and Morgan Rielly is a future top/ top 4 pairing. Finn is an everything man.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm starting to wonder if Karlsson himself has the potential to be as good as people seem to think Karlsson is.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Karlsson is just a very very rare player. There are not many defenseman that can do what he can do.

I compare Rielly to a guy like Letang/Keith.

He'll help the Leafs PP a lot, help the Leafs get out of their zone but I don't see him being that good offensively. He might have one year where he gets like 60 points but Karlsson is easily better offensively than any defenseman in the league.

Tough to compare a prospect to a Norris Trophy winner. I see similarities but I don't think Rielly has that kind of offense.

I still love the player though. Solid addtion to the Leafs, if all goes well he can be a franchise player for the Leafs.

I think the biggest difference between Karlsson and Rielly is the shot. Karlsson has one hell of an accurate hard shot. Rielly needs to develop a shot.

He's very shifty and he can score pretty goals but he'll have to develop a bomb from the point to make him more versatile.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Who is Reilly? :sarcasm:

oops :cry:

I love the way people think. it's hilarious...

Karlsson before he was good - "OMG shut up, he's never going to be as good as (insert name)"

Now (new player drafted) - "He will never be as good as Karlsson"

meah it's all non sense
This. I think the Potential is their will he reach it is the question.

Karlsson is just a very very rare player. There are not many defenseman that can do what he can do.

I compare Rielly to a guy like Letang/Keith.

He'll help the Leafs PP a lot, help the Leafs get out of their zone but I don't see him being that good offensively. He might have one year where he gets like 60 points but Karlsson is easily better offensively than any defenseman in the league.

Tough to compare a prospect to a Norris Trophy winner. I see similarities but I don't think Rielly has that kind of offense.

I still love the player though. Solid addtion to the Leafs, if all goes well he can be a franchise player for the Leafs.

I think the biggest difference between Karlsson and Rielly is the shot. Karlsson has one hell of an accurate hard shot. Rielly needs to develop a shot.

He's very shifty and he can score pretty goals but he'll have to develop a bomb from the point to make him more versatile.

Very true, very true. I can definitely see the Letang reference. Which would also be amazing if Rielly turned into that.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's more in the Duncan Keith/Letang mode. Karlsson is a unique player....he's lights out and a elite player offensively but his defense often leaves much to be desired. Personally, I prefer if he can become a neidermayer type (obviously he will need to add a good defensive element to his game, but his skating is top notch)

Not to take anything away from Karlsson, however. I hope he is great for the Sens. Really don't feel any animosity between them, out of all the other Canadian teams in the league who seem to hate us.

I remember being flamed by my hab homer friend, when I said 2 years ago I'd take EK over Schenn or Subban. (Although I did prefer Petriangelo to both)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad