Does Recchi get his numbered retired?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. The turnaround for Howe & Lindros were pretty quick after their introductions into the HHoF. They just gave Hagg #8 after this camp/preseason. They knew Reechi was getting inducted in by that time too. So you’d figure if they had any immediate plans they’d just would have closed the number out.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Go check out the Jets GDT first post and then try to assess if you think he is ever not jesting.

Have you not ever read one of Caps comments about someone or somewhere hes pissed off at? They arent to be taken literally. The essence of them is that he is pissed off for a good reason and then exaggerates for fun. Its not that hard to decipher.

Cheers boys :thumbu: I had to run off to work in the middle of that. Also, life's too short lol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Recchi played here for ages over multiple stints and now is a NHL HOFer. He's getting his number retired here.

Also: Doesn't he have the most points in a season for us? I remember that random stat. Definitely enough to be enshrined here.

No, he's not though.

They arent going to enshrine a guy that played 602 of his 1652 games here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Nah, great player, but never won a cup here (or any hardware for that matter) and spent half of his career with teams not named the Flyers. Retiring a number should be based on accomplishments made with the organization, not overall.

Edit: He does hold the single season point record for the Flyers. Still not enough, imo.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, he's not though.

They arent going to enshrine a guy that played 602 of his 1652 games here.

Sigh. You made me start my day with opening a can of whoop ***.

Percentage of career games here probably isn't the most paramount number -- instead, games played here total + impact are more important. As Flyers fans, why would we care where the rest of a guy's career was as long as he was here for ages and was phenomenal? (which Recchi was)

Here's some names that are already in the FHOF and their GP in Philly:

Brind'amour: 633
Lindros: 486
LeClair: 649
Leach: 606
Jim Watson: 613
Kerr: 601
Poulin: 467
Howe: 594

As you can see, quite a few players already in have less GP in Philly or are right in the neighborhood.

If you still believe this, I'll gladly bet you a crisp $20 right now that Recchi is getting in within 2 years. I'll be here with the same username.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sigh. You made me start my day with opening a can of whoop ***.

Percentage of career games here probably isn't the most paramount number -- instead, games played here total + impact are more important. As Flyers fans, why would we care where the rest of a guy's career was as long as he was here for ages and was phenomenal? (which Recchi was)

Here's some names that are already in the FHOF and their GP in Philly:

Brind'amour: 633
Lindros: 486
LeClair: 649
Leach: 606
Jim Watson: 613
Kerr: 601
Poulin: 467
Howe: 594

As you can see, quite a few players already in have less GP in Philly or are right in the neighborhood.

If you still believe this, I'll gladly bet you a crisp $20 right now that Recchi is getting in within 2 years. I'll be here with the same username.

Wait are you talking about Flyers Hall of Fame or Retired Number?

He should definitely be in the FHOF.

He should definitely not have his number retired.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I would say no. I always liked him as a player but he didn't spend the majority of his career here, he wasnt a part of any teams that won anything significant, nor won any individual awards here. Always liked the way Recchi played with heart and tenacity despite his size, and loved how he was able to stay in the league for so long by adapting to his game to a bottom 6 role as he got older but I don't think of him as a Flyers legend. I think number retirements should only go to legends of the franchise. Very deserving of being in the hall though.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I see no reason to retire the number of a guy who seemingly doesn't care about the Flyers.

And I was a fan of Recchi.

I don't know about any recent shuns of the Flyers by Rex but do know about how the Flyers treated him at the end... read up on what happened.

In part keep in mind that Recchi wanted to retire a Flyer and live in Haddonfield... IIRC in his last Contract with the Flyers he and Primeau deferred quite a bit of money so the Flyers could spend more on Players and be better... after the nice run that was ended by the Lightening the two Contracts expired as the NHL was about to Lockout the Players before the new CBA was established. The Flyers signed Primeau to what was considered at that time a lowball amount but refused to offer Recchi a Contract. Clarke said he was unsure of what the climate would be in the League and only signed Primeau and offered insulting Contracts to some others but told Rex to wait it out... meanwhile the Penguins offered Recchi a ridiculously high Contract before the Lockout that he just could not refuse... his wife was from Pittsburgh so Rex gladly sign what he thought would be his final or near final Contact and forgot his plans about settling in Haddonfield.

Basically Recchi felt snubbed and insulted by the Team he had deferred cad for and considered his Team... sadly things between Rex and the Flyers were never the same as Recchi moved on and pretty much cut ties... much like Lindros did in some respects... people forgave #88 but many have not forgiven #8... and he has been cool towards the Flyers but did acknowledge Philadelphia on his acceptance speech last week, albeit not as much as hoped... Clarke could be both warm and hard in his demeanor and at times be blunt; he was not very considerate with Recchi IMO.

The Penguins have treated him much more fairly and brought him back to work for the Organization... it would only be expected that he would have a better feelings for the Pens presently... however hard it is to accept for us.

I would be interested in seeing any links to anything Recchi said that was dissing the Flyers or Philadelphia.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know about any recent shuns of the Flyers by Rex but do know about how the Flyers treated him at the end... read up on what happened.

In part keep in mind that Recchi wanted to retire a Flyer and live in Haddonfield... IIRC in his last Contract with the Flyers he and Primeau deferred quite a bit of money so the Flyers could spend more on Players and be better... after the nice run that was ended by the Lightening the two Contracts expired as the NHL was about to Lockout the Players before the new CBA was established. The Flyers signed Primeau to what was considered at that time a lowball amount but refused to offer Recchi a Contract. Clarke said he was unsure of what the climate would be in the League and only signed Primeau and offered insulting Contracts to some others but told Rex to wait it out... meanwhile the Penguins offered Recchi a ridiculously high Contract before the Lockout that he just could not refuse... his wife was from Pittsburgh so Rex gladly sign what he thought would be his final or near final Contact and forgot his plans about settling in Haddonfield.

Basically Recchi felt snubbed and insulted by the Team he had deferred cad for and considered his Team... sadly things between Rex and the Flyers were never the same as Recchi moved on and pretty much cut ties... much like Lindros did in some respects... people forgave #88 but many have not forgiven #8... and he has been cool towards the Flyers but did acknowledge Philadelphia on his acceptance speech last week, albeit not as much as hoped... Clarke could be both warm and hard in his demeanor and at times be blunt; he was not very considerate with Recchi IMO.

The Penguins have treated him much more fairly and brought him back to work for the Organization... it would only be expected that he would have a better feelings for the Pens presently... however hard it is to accept for us.

I would be interested in seeing any links to anything Recchi said that was dissing the Flyers or Philadelphia.

None of that has to do with the fans, that for 10 seasons adored him.

Hes petty if he is still holding a grudge.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
None of that has to do with the fans, that for 10 seasons adored him.

Hes petty if he is still holding a grudge.

Don't personally know of any grudge being displayed to FANS... and would welcome reading anything on that... I do know that he treats Flyers Fans on Twitter well and doesn't display any signs of a grudge there.

Where is this Flyers Fans hates/dislike coming from?... links??

In fact, I dont really see any grudge towards Flyers displayed... merely, as with Lindros earlier, a coolness and distance as opposed to relationship.

IMO this has all been blown out of proportion because he is not like Briere and others in his post career relationship with Flyers.

My remarks dealt more with his moving away from his settling in Area than a full fledged grudge... you know; what could have been and what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad