Does Recchi get his numbered retired?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So the flyers do have that policy , minus ashbee, that a player needs to enter the HOF in order to have their number retired. So Does Recchi get his numbered retired? He Is such an odd candidate since he has played with so many teams, but if the flyers don't retire his number will any team retire his number? I would feel bad for Recchi if he never had his number retired by any organization , but this just may be the case.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Then will recchi be the first hofer to never have his number be retired?

Depends on where you draw the line (Coffey, Oates)

I loved Recchi, but even though he meets HOF criteria I don’t think he deserves specific Flyers recognition with a retired number. Definitely in the next wave of Flyers HOF members I’m sure

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Depends on where you draw the line (Coffey, Oates)

I loved Recchi, but even though he meets HOF criteria I don’t think he deserves specific Flyers recognition with a retired number. Definitely in the next wave of Flyers HOF members I’m sure
coffey is forever an oiler imo. I hope the blues retire oates jersey.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Then will recchi be the first hofer to never have his number be retired?

Plenty of HOFers have played for us that haven't had their number retired by us.

It's not just about playing with us, it's about spending the vast majority of your career with us and being a HOFer.

I also think that if the veteran core of this team manages to win a Cup but doesn't end up in the Hall, they will have their numbers retired. Like Giroux for instance. If he just misses out on the Hall but we win a Cup, that number is going in the rafters.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Plenty of HOFers have played for us that haven't had their number retired by us.
It's not just about playing with us, it's about spending the vast majority of your career with us and being a HOFer.
I also think that if the veteran core of this team manages to win a Cup but doesn't end up in the Hall, they will have their numbers retired. Like Giroux for instance. If he just misses out on the Hall but we win a Cup, that number is going in the rafters.

no i am not talking about us. i am talking about in general.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
A few thoughts on this... I won't go into all the reasons I believe he should; I have stated the case before, more than once, and he really has a solid case -- maybe we can resurrect one of those Threads so my case can be read -- with that said I believe that it will NOT be retired here; simple clue is their issuing his #8 this Season, they have in the past with subsequent retired numbers, but that was well before their enshrinement and not when they had a clue, as they would here if they intended to do so.

The irony here is that I believe the HHoF plaque depicts him in a Flyers Jersey... although it only shows him from a point above the Crest, it is IMO clearly a Flyers one based on the collar and shoulders seen... the Hall does not depict one particular Team for inductees... they go in as merely a Hockey Player but do denote various Team's events for the Player; the Flyers are mentioned on the plaque with his record 123 Point Season... IIRC there were sparce other Team mentions... I take this as a nod by the Hall to the Flyers with Rex.

... #8 probably won't be retired here... but IMO should certainly be. He should be next in PFHoF.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A few thoughts on this... I won't go into all the reasons I believe he should; I have stated the case before, more than once, and he really has a solid case -- maybe we can resurrect one of those Threads so my case can be read -- with that said I believe that it will NOT be retired here; simple clue is their issuing his #8 this Season, they have in the past with subsequent retired numbers, but that was well before their enshrinement and not when they had a clue, as they would here if they intended to do so.

The irony here is that I believe the HHoF plaque depicts him in a Flyers Jersey... although it only shows him from a point above the Crest, it is IMO clearly a Flyers one based on the collar and shoulders seen... the Hall does not depict one particular Team for inductees... they go in as merely a Hockey Player but do denote various Team's events for the Player; the Flyers are mentioned on the plaque with his record 123 Point Season... IIRC there were sparce other Team mentions... I take this as a nod by the Hall to the Flyers with Rex.

... #8 probably won't be retired here... but IMO should certainly be. He should be next in PFHoF.

Did he mention the Flyers in his speech? I missed it.

He completely shunned us during his Players Tribute article discussing his career just a few days prior to the ceremony.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, I don’t really care about that recent article either. My mindset has been no all along given all the other teams he played for & when he did.

Are you saying no he didn't mention the Flyers at all in his speech?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
There was a kid in my school who looked exactly like him, like a lard-coated fire hydrant with weird lifeless eyes, and his house always smelled like artichokes.

So I assume I can safely say that with you, it is personal.

What I don't understand is how you reside where you do if you find the smell of certain cuisine food to be (I assume) repulsive -- personally I love artichokes and would love that smell.

To sum it up... you do not like Recchi based on the way he looks and the way... what God and heredity and his genes has dealt him... and the way he is built... Personally, I would think that his inherent physical traits would be something that would make one admire his long and excellent career in the NHL.

... You do understand that this sort of thinking flies against all that is being fought for in the World today? :shakehead

I'm not looking for a fight... I'm just sayin'............................

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So I assume I can safely say that with you, it is personal.

What I don't understand is how you reside where you do if you find the smell of certain cuisine food to be (I assume) repulsive -- personally I love artichokes and would love that smell.

To sum it up... you do not like Recchi based on the way he looks and the way... what God and heredity and his genes has dealt him... and the way he is built... Personally, I would think that his inherent physical traits would be something that would make one admire his long and excellent career in the NHL.

... You do understand that this sort of thinking flies against all that is being fought for in the World today? :shakehead

I'm not looking for a fight... I'm just sayin'............................

I don't really understand what you are saying, to be honest. I don't like him because he more or less completely disrespected us in that article the other day. I never warmed to him back in the day, for things that were mostly out of his control, like the fact that he wasn't Mike Ricci or Scott Mellanby or someone else that I did love and lost. And he played for, and apparently cherishes his time with, an organization which is our enemy and which I consider profoundly vile. I wouldn't say anything about him or his appearance if he had kept his fat mouth shut about us the other day, but that's just the way that loyalty works for me - there is us, and there is them, and **** them. Not sure what the smell of artichokes has to do with Thailand, either, since I haven't smelled one here in five years as far as I remember, but then again, I wasn't being entirely serious. Not really sure what is being fought for in the world today, and not sure it deserves a head shake, but to each their own.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I don't really understand what you are saying, to be honest. I don't like him because he more or less completely disrespected us in that article the other day. I never warmed to him back in the day, for things that were mostly out of his control, like the fact that he wasn't Mike Ricci or Scott Mellanby or someone else that I did love and lost. And he played for, and apparently cherishes his time with, an organization which is our enemy and which I consider profoundly vile. I wouldn't say anything about him or his appearance if he had kept his fat mouth shut about us the other day, but that's just the way that loyalty works for me - there is us, and there is them, and **** them. Not sure what the smell of artichokes has to do with Thailand, either, since I haven't smelled one here in five years as far as I remember, but then again, I wasn't being entirely serious. Not really sure what is being fought for in the world today, and not sure it deserves a head shake, but to each their own.

That was off of your Post... what that Post came off as... his looks and build.

I have heard nothing about any articles recently that had him dissing the Flyers -- I do know that there was hard feelings and he was insulted by not being offered a Contract as they went into the Lockout -- And the artichokes were not the point... the smell of a pungent cuisine was the point... if artichokes so turned you off, how are you surviving being in Thailand -- I love their cuisine BTW.

Your Post about Rex came off as being superficial dribble based on the way he looks and is built... If it was in jest, it wasn't obvious... at least to me.

Lets let it end that you were not as the Post came off... and that I overreacted in my response and headshake.

BTW: the way I read the Post DID indeed deserve a head-shake... but only because I couldn't find a face-palm in this new host.

... PEACE

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That was off of your Post... what that Post came off as... his looks and build.

I have heard nothing about any articles recently that had him dissing the Flyers -- I do know that there was hard feelings and he was insulted by not being offered a Contract as they went into the Lockout -- And the artichokes were not the point... the smell of a pungent cuisine was the point... if artichokes so turned you off, how are you surviving being in Thailand -- I love their cuisine BTW.

Your Post about Rex came off as being superficial dribble based on the way he looks and is built... If it was in jest, it wasn't obvious... at least to me.

Lets let it end that you were not as the Post came off... and that I overreacted in my response and headshake.

BTW: the way I read the Post DID indeed deserve a head-shake... but only because I couldn't find a face-palm in this new host.

... PEACE

Have you not ever read one of Caps comments about someone or somewhere hes pissed off at? They arent to be taken literally. The essence of them is that he is pissed off for a good reason and then exaggerates for fun. Its not that hard to decipher.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Have you not ever read one of Caps comments about someone or somewhere hes pissed off at? They arent to be taken literally. The essence of them is that he is pissed off for a good reason and then exaggerates for fun. Its not that hard to decipher.

Hey look... I saw a personal attack on a good guy... and went with it.

It is not my job to do a litmus test on all Posts to determine truth... You want to be sarcastic? Use an Emoticon... the Programmers who create them need to feed their families too. ;)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Recchi played here for ages over multiple stints and now is a NHL HOFer. He's getting his number retired here.

Also: Doesn't he have the most points in a season for us? I remember that random stat. Definitely enough to be enshrined here.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad