Does Pavel Datsyuk have the greatest highlight reel of all time?

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Datsyuk came into his own right as people were beginning to make youtube compilations. He's a great player, but its just so much easier to put footage together for him than it was for Jagr or Lemieux or Gretz or Orr or whoever.

We still have a lot of signature plays for the first three, but the difference between them and Dats is that with Dats, people saved footage of plays that didn't amount to anything and can make compilations out of just those. Even with Alex Kovalev, who would be closer in age to Datsyuk, the highlight reels for him don't even scratch the surface of the tricks he'd pull on a nightly basis (which would often be impressive and difficult, but pointless). No youtube in his prime.

So I guess the answer to this question is "yes," but the reason is youtube and digital editing, not Datsyuk.

Is there any way to access the tapes of all Penguins games Mario took a part in? Is there any official video archive? It would be an interesting project, i.e. to re-watch all tapes of select stars who were at their best pre-YT and pick out their bes moments. It would take a lot of time, but if enough people were interested, it wouldn't be that much of a drag.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
"Someone" literally thinks McD's highlights are FIVE TIMES BETTER than Datsyuk's? That's just delusional.

They are not better at all. McD can't do half of things Datsyuk could.

Datsyuk can't do a lot of things McDavid can either though? I'm not sure you realize the extent of McDavid's skill level and offensive dominance. He's a more offensively skilled player than Datsyuk was and that's saying a lot.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Datsyuk can't do a lot of things McDavid can either though? I'm not sure you realize the extent of McDavid's skill level and offensive dominance. He's a more offensively skilled player than Datsyuk was and that's saying a lot.
You mean, Dats doesn't have McD's speed. Fair enough. That would be Pavel Bure. But in virtually all other aspects of the game, see above: McD can't do half the things Dats did. Nobody could. The guy was the most unique player to ever lace up the skates.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You mean, Dats doesn't have McD's speed. Fair enough. That would be Pavel Bure. But in virtually all other aspects of the game, see above: McD can't do half the things Dats did. Nobody could. The guy was the most unique player to ever lace up the skates.

His speed, skating and puckhandling abilities are even better than Bure's.

This is a long one and it's from last season only. There are some gems in there.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is there any way to access the tapes of all Penguins games Mario took a part in? Is there any official video archive? It would be an interesting project, i.e. to re-watch all tapes of select stars who were at their best pre-YT and pick out their bes moments. It would take a lot of time, but if enough people were interested, it wouldn't be that much of a drag.

I doubt it. Penguins used to be on a local station called KBL, which is long-defunct. In the early days they were broadcasting...idk...50 games a year, maybe, if that.

If anyone has this, it would be the Penguins, themselves, I would think, though Craig Patrick would have needed to have the foresight to save all this back in the 80s, and I'm skeptical that he did.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I doubt it. Penguins used to be on a local station called KBL, which is long-defunct. In the early days they were broadcasting...idk...50 games a year, maybe, if that.

If anyone has this, it would be the Penguins, themselves, I would think, though Craig Patrick would have needed to have the foresight to save all this back in the 80s, and I'm skeptical that he did.

Wait a minute, are you suggesting that some of the games are likely lost for good? Even from the eighties / early nineties? I always thought there must have been some kind of official NHL database that was storing copy tapes of every game recorded ever since cameras were invented.

This is bad news.

EDIT: Or at best, this means we're left with home-recorded tapes of a very dubious quality. (Another field new age stars have it much better on.)

Last edited:

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Sure there are gems there. But I don't see any evidence that McD's puck handling was better than Bure's. And his speed? What?

-Speed is no where close to Bure's. Top end speed maybe, but 2 step acceleration and change of direction not even close.

Reactions: Sentinel

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wait a minute, are you suggesting that some of the games are likely lost for good? Even from the eighties / early nineties? I always thought there must have been some kind of official NHL database that was storing copy tapes of every game recorded ever since cameras were invented.

This is bad news.

EDIT: Or at best, this means we're left with home-recorded tapes of a very dubious quality. (Another field new age stars have it much better on.)

Some weren't even recorded to begin with.

The NHL does this now, but prior to Bettman, it was a real amateur operation..

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
-Speed is no where close to Bure's. Top end speed maybe, but 2 step acceleration and change of direction not even close.
Yeah, I truly have no idea what authentic is talking about. McD is not in the same league as Datsyuk, Lemieux, and Bure (literally and figuratively). Maybe he will develop to their level, but I seriously doubt it.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Lindros must see highlight-video is one of the best, if you like the physical side of hockey. In terms of skill & hockey IQ Datsyuk probably has the best ones.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Maybe someone (with free time on their hands) should put together a lineup of players with Ukranian heritages. I think we can all agree Sawchuk would be the starting goalie.

Duno about a full starting lineup ,just off the top of my head

Andreychuk/Bucyk - Gretzky- Hawerchuk

Babych -

Sawchuk

I can't think of another Ukranian who played D except Babych

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Datsyuk is of ukrainian descent. Same with Kovalchuk, Hawerchuk, Andreychuk.

All mankind descended from Ukrainians. :laugh:

maybe not all of mankind, at least all of the 1991 buffalo sabres

s-l300.jpg
Dave-Andreychuk.jpg

Clint-Malarchuk.jpg
4879-1224888Fr.jpg

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Johnny Boychuk of course, which sounds like the name of a fictional wholesome Canadian farm kid. "We'll call him Johnny Boy...chuk."

Lots of good wingers, including Stasiuk, Horvath, Mosienko, Khristich, Ponikarovsky, Fedotenko...

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
He def is up there, of course with all the TV coverage nowadays you have more games to watch players.

He is up there with the Best off them and I’m talking Prime
(RICK “Nifty” MIDDLETON, JARIMOR JAGR, BOBBY HULL) etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad