Does Pavel Datsyuk have the greatest highlight reel of all time?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Mario owning borque was more of luck And poor defensive positioning. Worse has been done to borque

-Maybe you were to young. Mario Lemieux put up 15 points against the Bruins in the 1991 playoffs in 6 games. It was a colossal beatdown Lemieux put on Ray Bourque, the entire series. Lemieux did it again in 1992, putting up 8 points in 3 games and Pittsburgh swept Boston in 4 games against Bourque. Lemieux missed the first game. 23 points in 9 games against Ray Bourque and Boston's tough defense. Boston wasnt that tough. Lemieux just ran over their whole team.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Or maybe because a guy who never cracked 100 points, 40 goals and only 90 points twice wasn't as good as players who shattered these every season, some two times over.

I'm willing to bet Lemieux had more highlight reel goals and points in his 1987-89 season's then Datsyuk's entire career. Proving this is impossible however due to Lemieux playing before every game was readily available on the internet(Unless someone had a couple hundred 80's pens games on tape).

Doubtful. Lemieux ranks up there in highlight reels, arguably the best, but many of his points were one timers or setting people up on the powerplay which he cashed in on heavily. If you want to say he had more highlights in his career that would be believable, but Datsyuk was the definition of a human highlight reel. The percentage of his points that would end up on a highlight reel I would bet is probably the highest in recent NHL history.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Gretzky would have the best highlight reel in history.

I think we've seen enough of him to know that's not true (though it is subjective). The best passes and plays of his have been done by others and in even more exciting fashion, he just managed to do it the most.

Reactions: Sentinel

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
My top 10 for highlight reels only

1. Datsyuk
2. McDavid/Crosby
4. Forsberg
5. Ovechkin
6. Lemieux
7. Jagr
8. Kovalchuk
9. Bure
10. Kane

HM: Karlsson, Kovalev, Fedorov, Orr, Lindros

These are based on impressiveness and frequency. Among players who were never elite Maxim Afinogenov would easily have the most impressive highlight reel.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I disagree. Gretzky was subtle and effective. Much of what he did looked easy. He was underrated a lot early in his career simply because he didn't look as impressive as other superstars. To a casual fan even his teammate Kent Nilsson might have looked more impressive than Gretzky, but no knowledgeable fan would suggest he was the better player.

There's a difference between looking impressive, and being a great player. Datsyuk did an amazing deke or dangle almost every shift. Unlike Gretzky however, he didn't have the sixth sense of choosing just the right deke that would set up an easy goal for a teammate.

The Hasek roll looks more spectacular than a butterfly stanse, even though the butterfly might be more effective. Kronwall has more highlight moments than Lidstrom, even though Lidstrom was one of the most effective defenders ever.

As to the original question, I think Orr probably was the most highlight-compatible player of all time. He is the obvious standout player in every single video I have seen of him. His speed just jumps at you like nothing else I've seen.

Oh he did, just not to the extent of Gretzky.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think McDavid makes a better highlight reel than Datsyuk.

I just recently watched an hour long highlight video of McDavid only from last season and I was seriously considering whether he was the best, and I think if not now he will be shortly. There has never been a player with his speed and overall skating ability who deked opponents and made heads up plays like he does. It is ridiculous and doesn't look human.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
And this is why McD is the most overrated player in the world right now. Datsyuk has a decade of highlights. McD has two years.

Someone can still think his highlights are better even if he doesn't have more.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
A few more extremely rare goals

The tipple ping pong goal against Price-Read the comments section

Sidney Crosby beats 4 defenders again, scores on rare backhander-Read the comments section

Crosby-The Dangling defensive splitting machine

Crosby is hands down the most underrated player when it comes to highlight reel plays. The fact that he is never mentioned as much as a lot of other players I always find very odd. He is top 3 with Datsyuk and McDavid for me. His puck control video is maybe even more impressive than his dangling one.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It's true, just because he [Mod: Gretzky] had the most points doesn't mean he had the best highlights. Unless there are any available I haven't seen, which I doubt because I've searched everything I can find of him again and again.

Last edited by a moderator:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Datsyuk is great, and he is a human highlight reel but probably because he sacrificed a bit of it to focus on defense he has a bit less than others. Ovechkin and Crosby would have more highlights. Malkin too. McDavid will certainly by the time his career is over and who knows with MacKinnon.

All-time you've got Lemieux, Jagr and Denis Savard who for sure have more highlights. Maybe Gretzky too but in a different sort of way. Throw in Bobby Orr who would have more as well. Others who are right in the mix with him are Perreault, Lafleur, Middleton, etc.

Honestly that's highly debatable, he has hour long highlight videos for 3 year portions of his career, I think he has more than anyone of this era.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He didn't really beat 4 guys on that play, he beat like 1 or 2, the other were just standing there doing nothing. Even the guys he beat didn't try to do much. It's a nice goal, but come on. What's embarrassing in that play is the level of defense displayed. Saying Crosby beat 4 guys in that play is like saying Edler beat 4 guys in the clip below. In my eyes Edler hardly beats anyone on that goal, except the goalie.

I get what you are trying to say here but this goal was not comparable to that Crosby goal, not even close actually.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Datsyuk came into his own right as people were beginning to make youtube compilations. He's a great player, but its just so much easier to put footage together for him than it was for Jagr or Lemieux or Gretz or Orr or whoever.

We still have a lot of signature plays for the first three, but the difference between them and Dats is that with Dats, people saved footage of plays that didn't amount to anything and can make compilations out of just those. Even with Alex Kovalev, who would be closer in age to Datsyuk, the highlight reels for him don't even scratch the surface of the tricks he'd pull on a nightly basis (which would often be impressive and difficult, but pointless). No youtube in his prime.

So I guess the answer to this question is "yes," but the reason is youtube and digital editing, not Datsyuk.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Honestly that's highly debatable, he has hour long highlight videos for 3 year portions of his career, I think he has more than anyone of this era.

Man, can you start using multiquote please? You just posted 6 one liners in 6 separate posts. And four in a row not too long before that. It feels like flooding and it will make people hate your posts without even reading them.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Datsyuk came into his own right as people were beginning to make youtube compilations. He's a great player, but its just so much easier to put footage together for him than it was for Jagr or Lemieux or Gretz or Orr or whoever.

We still have a lot of signature plays for the first three, but the difference between them and Dats is that with Dats, people saved footage of plays that didn't amount to anything and can make compilations out of just those. Even with Alex Kovalev, who would be closer in age to Datsyuk, the highlight reels for him don't even scratch the surface of the tricks he'd pull on a nightly basis (which would often be impressive and difficult, but pointless). No youtube in his prime.

So I guess the answer to this question is "yes," but the reason is youtube and digital editing, not Datsyuk.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he still had the best highlights anyway. The amount of highlights he had that did amount to something, aka goals, are more than anyone else in the youtube era. That's not to mention his defensive highlights.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Man, can you start using multiquote please? You just posted 6 one liners in 6 separate posts. And four in a row not too long before that. It feels like flooding and it will make people hate your posts without even reading them.

You're right I think I've posted myself silly, sorry.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
You're right I think I've posted myself silly, sorry.

No, I like your style, but like this, without stuffing it in one post, it can be a hell to scroll through. Also confusing for casual readers. Multiquote is our friend :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad