Does Nonis have a direction for the Leafs??

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree and hopefully if we add anybody it is by way of UFA's. Trading is not nearly as important as it was in the past when teams basically owned a guy forever.

There are guys down there who aren't ever going to be used after this season and if anything who can be swapped if the right former underachieving first rounder comes available

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
There are guys down there who aren't ever going to be used after this season and if anything who can be swapped if the right former underachieving first rounder comes available
My feeling is if another team thinks he's valuable, he must be valuable to us since we aren't exactly world beaters. Just seems like spinning the tires to me. Now if we had an overabundance of something, sure why not. However we don't have an overabundance at any one position.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
I'm not talking about the marlies, I'm talking about the leafs

Lupul (smack prime) Bozak (prime) Kessel (just entering his)
Kulemin (prime) Grabo (smack prime) Mac (prime)
JVR(nowhere near his)- Kadri (nowhere near) Mcclement (prime)
Brown (prime) Steckel (prime) Orr (smack prime)

Phaneuf (prime) Gunnar (just entering)
Gardiner (nowhere near) Liles (smack prime)
Franson (approaching) Komi (smack prime)

Riemer (nowhere near it)

agree with most, I would say komi and liles are past their primes at this point though.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I have a feeling Nonis idea is to just build us through current prospects and the draft. We seriously need to ask ourselves does this core make us a threat and can we make some noise 2 to 3 years from now. If not I say lets not go the Calgary route and just do a proper rebuild and hope we pull a Pittsburgh and strike gold in the draft.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You know what I don't understand? How some fans think that Kessel can't be included in the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs while they speak of James Reimer and Matt Frattin as young future pieces we have to wait on the develop.

Phil Kessel, is 93 days older than Matt Frattin and 153 more career goals than him.

Phil Kessel is 165 days older than James Reimer.

How can a team be in purgatory until it gets rid of a player who is the same age as everyone else in its 'future core'? If Frattin and Reimer have upside, I'm pretty sure Phil does as well.

We have a lot of trade happy fans, many who are not very bright. Just because Damien Cox (a famous idiot) thinks we should trade Kessel does not mean we will or should. The guy can play for us for 10 years or more....:shakehead

The guys who are saying we need to trade him in case we can't sign him have 0 clue. Most teams try to sign their better players, they don't panic and trade them before the renegotiaon window opens.

It makes sense to see if he wants an extention and if the deal can get done, if so sign and play. If not, then, and only then do we think about moving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad