Does Nonis have a direction for the Leafs??

RogerRoeper*

You know what I don't understand? How some fans think that Kessel can't be included in the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs while they speak of James Reimer and Matt Frattin as young future pieces we have to wait on the develop.

Phil Kessel, is 93 days older than Matt Frattin and 153 more career goals than him.

Phil Kessel is 165 days older than James Reimer.

How can a team be in purgatory until it gets rid of a player who is the same age as everyone else in its 'future core'? If Frattin and Reimer have upside, I'm pretty sure Phil does as well.

Yup. He's only 25. Sign him up.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
You know what I don't understand? How some fans think that Kessel can't be included in the future of the Toronto Maple Leafs while they speak of James Reimer and Matt Frattin as young future pieces we have to wait on the develop.

Phil Kessel, is 93 days older than Matt Frattin and 153 more career goals than him.

How can a team be in purgatory until it gets rid of a player who is the same age as everyone else in its 'future core'? If Frattin and Reimer have upside, I'm pretty sure Phil does as well.

I think Kessel is a big part of the Leafs future. Either being on the team or as a chip in a trade that brings back significant assets. I'm sure Nonis will maximize his current worth.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
mlse is gonna push him in offseason to obtain and overpay for perry/getzlaf. Just like they did to blue jays and raptors.

DaveT83*

Because neither Kadri or Frattin alone hold significant trade value that can help improve the hockey club.

Phil is wonderful - but this team isn't

In order to fill our glaring defeciencies something has to give. If I thought for a second that I could trade Matt Frattin for a PWF + 1b Goalie + 1st + 3rd I wouldn't hesitate in a second - again that is not a reflection of Frattin as a player - simply putting the organizations needs a head of ANY single INDIVIDUAL

leafsMaple

May 28, 2010
I think Kessel is a big part of the Leafs future. Either being on the team or as a chip in a trade that brings back significant assets. I'm sure Nonis will maximize his current worth.

In a perfect world he would be traded for a first that would end up being a top 5 pick in this draft and a highly touted prospect. Or a top center-men and a top prospect.

I can see something like

To Minnesota

Kessel

To Toronto

Granlund
1st

Minnesota is in win now mode.

Last edited:

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
Leafs could do one $8M cap contract, but not two with any degree of comfort (even if they amnesty (compliance) buyout Komi.)

They can amnesty two people, so I can see them doing Komi and possibly Liles. May even look to trade Grabo. If they really want to sign both, they will.

leafsMaple

May 28, 2010
We got alot of fortune tellers on this thread...

Whether or not any body here has that gift, the fact remains kessel needs to be traded. If I have to watch him shy away from one more hit... Yes he's an elite goal scorer and play-maker but all that is wasted on someone like him. The fact that he has not scored yet and that there's a possibility he might walk seals the deal.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Because neither Kadri or Frattin alone hold significant trade value that can help improve the hockey club.

In order to fill our glaring defeciencies something has to give. If I thought for a second that I could trade Matt Frattin for a PWF + 1b Goalie + 1st + 3rd I wouldn't hesitate in a second - again that is not a reflection of Frattin as a player - simply putting the organizations needs a head of ANY single INDIVIDUAL

THIS.

Cannot agree more with you in this thread.

HOCKEYGOON

Feb 27, 2002
The Penalty Box
Visit site
Hopefully more homegrown talent.... from being drafted, to the Marlies, to playing in the NHL.

Trading for prospects is okay but I think it's better if it's a guy you've had in your system from the start.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Its status quo until Phil Kessel is traded. Purgatory.

I don't see any reason to do anything this year at all - its a development year for Reimer/Kadri/Frattin and some of the others.

Its an assessment on the worth/value of some of the guys that have been around for a while (Kessel/Dion/Grabo etc)

Changes will be made in the off-season - expect to see a team that relies less on talent and more on work ethic.
luckily the 3 you mention don't have work ethic issues

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site

yep.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
They can amnesty two people, so I can see them doing Komi and possibly Liles. May even look to trade Grabo. If they really want to sign both, they will.

But who would they play with? Don't forget the boatload of people that need to be resigned...Kadri, Komarov, Kostka, Franson, Gunnerson who you would want to keep and who would be looking for and likely deserve increases. Orr, Steckel, Bozak, MacArthur, and others will also come off the books and need to be resigned or replaced...and except for Mac, they are on minimal contracts.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site

trading him to fill one of those needs then creates another need

as long as you're okay with that and have a plan to address the new need

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I'm not talking about the marlies, I'm talking about the leafs

Lupul (smack prime) Bozak (prime) Kessel (just entering his)
Kulemin (prime) Grabo (smack prime) Mac (prime)
JVR(nowhere near his)- Kadri (nowhere near) Mcclement (prime)
Brown (prime) Steckel (prime) Orr (smack prime)

Phaneuf (prime) Gunnar (just entering)
Gardiner (nowhere near) Liles (smack prime)
Franson (approaching) Komi (smack prime)

Riemer (nowhere near it)

I made a whole thread just saying this, and got hated on a bit for it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I will ask again. Where is this trade for Kessel you keep bringing up?

It sounds like a decent option if it actually exists.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Except trading Kessel creates another huge hole that those if us who lived through the 90s remember all too clearly.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

again its gonna come down to kessel excepting an ectension at his current salary ...its the aoto raise hisagent is going to want that has to concern everyone ......in an equal world ,kesel could move to a small market ,walk away if the money is the same
kesel isnt staying here under 7 mil ,...he aint worth it .he ll go play in phoenix for 5.5 hell likly get and play golf and online poker till he retires

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There is no way that we can forsee what Nonis will do with this club.

He was able to move Lombardi to Phoenix for a pick and regardless of what round he got in return, he recognized that he was not needed here. Smart decision.

And a tougher move that he made was sending Tim Connolly down to the Marlies. I'm sure a lot of people are going to say that its an easy move to send him down. He's never played in the minors before and eating a contract like that is not ideal for a new owner to see, especially after what they are getting out of Komisarek and having to spend money for Jeff Finger to play in the minors for 3 years.

He's worked with Carlyle well so far in determining what younger players should be up with the team and who's won position battles.

So far so good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
One thing is clear, this team has no idea how to raise the value of guys we don't want. You're supposed to play the trade bait and hype them all day long to the media.

Side note Aucoin has as many points as Grabo etc. maybe my should we investigate Aucoin thread is forgotten but fact remains, he is doing alright.

Depth is nice to have down there, we have a lot of guys we need to try and get something for now. It's that time.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As long as whatever plan he has doesn't involve trading prospects or first round draft picks then we should be alright.

I agree and hopefully if we add anybody it is by way of UFA's. Trading is not nearly as important as it was in the past when teams basically owned a guy forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->