Does Murray's trade to Ottawa set the goalie market

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
With Murray moving for a prospect and a 2nd rounder do you think this sets the market should we decide to move Andersen?
What would a REASONABLE expectation be on a return for him with this trade being taken into account

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yes of course it does. I would argue Andersen is better than Murray right now though. But then Murray has performed at the very highest level, Andersen has not.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

kb

Aug 28, 2009
With Murray moving for a prospect and a 2nd rounder do you think this sets the market should we decide to move Andersen?
What would a REASONABLE expectation be on a return for him with this trade being taken into account
With respect to Murray, for a guy with no contract, arbitration rights, a lengthy history of injuries and concussions - of which he has one right now with no known time of recovery - and him being outplayed and the second best goalie on his own team for the past 3 seasons....Freddy should get at least similar, no?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To me, it looks more and more like we keep Andersen. That kind of return is meh, especially when you add in the risk factor with a replacement, I suspect we go with the “devil we know”. I get not having confidence Andersen can get us there, he probably walks, but man Dubas puts his ass on the line if he gets the crease wrong. There has to be enormous trepidation here.

Reactions: rubous

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
With regards to the goaltending, it's pretty much apparent that Dubas should leave well enough alone until a real opportunity arises. He's got a decent fallback in Campbell that should keep the wheels from coming off the cart next season. The team is cap crunched and may not be able to do all that much this off season.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Yes

2nd and a prospect for a starting goalie. UFA or RFA.

Murray and Lehner are examples.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I'm sorry if I wasn't entirely clear but my point is that a goalie he didn't need to recover from a terrible season would be considerably more I'm guessing.
And Lehner fetched the same thing a 2nd and a prospect.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
If a guy with no contract and arb rights gets 2nd+prospect,

Andersen on a 1 yr contract owed $1mil in real dollars should be a 1st pick at least

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Good point. He was a rental at the time of that trade and there is some additional risk with Lehner.
Andersen has 1 year left.

With the current trade landscape, best you probably can get is a 2nd and a prospect, with the pick upgrading to a 1st if he re-signs.

Reactions: justashadowof

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If you didn't move Anderson at the Draft, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to move him now unless it's in a deal with the likes of Darcy Kuemper coming back the other way in order to save Toronto 500k, or if he's the key piece in securing a RHD and you have an obvious plan in place to replace him.

If you're not getting a "play now" assett in return, I'd rather keep Anderson.

Mar 26, 2010
Sure it does.

At this point Andersen is just a cap dump. The GM’s around the league know what he is all about.

Mar 26, 2010
Same with Murray then. So cap dumps get a 2nd and a prospect.
Andersen is garbage, straight up. I never liked his game. He is a flop.

You can bet that Andersen will be the starting goalie for next season. Dubas has tried everything to move him, no takers. Won’t be surprised to see the Leafs miss the playoffs for the second season in a row with him in goal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Murray has one season of RFA left and is in need of a new contract. I suppose Ottawa might be thinking multi-year deal considering they traded for him, but things still are left to be worked out. Murray was easier to move for the Pens though because Jarry is believed to be ready and his new contract reflects that. The Leaf situation probably isn't quite the same without bringing in another option alongside Campbell.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Jack Campbell and Kyle Clifford were traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs by the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday for Trevor Moore, a third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a third-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft.

So a 4th liner, (2) thirds for a back up goalie and a fringe NHLer.

A 2nd rounder /prospect for a 1A goalie

Who got the better deal?

Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matt Murray has 2 Stanley Cup rings and was a main reason behind that playing in front of a questionable defense.

Murray is just 26 and this is time goalies are coming into their prime.

If the Pens wouldn't have been in a cap situation the price for Murray would have been even higher..

For Andersen its also about the cap and this time mainly about his $1 mil actual salary as opposed to his $5 mil cap hit for teams on budgets and with a Covid World where attendance pays player salaries and smaller market teams will struggle with costs.

So the value of Andersen in trade might be more about his contract than his actual resume. IMO

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Andersen is garbage, straight up. I never liked his game. He is a flop.

You can bet that Andersen will be the starting goalie for next season. Dubas has tried everything to move him, no takers. Won’t be surprised to see the Leafs miss the playoffs for the second season in a row with him in goal.
Murray is even more trash. And out indefinitely with another concussion.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If it does you may as well keep Freddy because that's not worth it.

Freddy and Campbell are a great tandem keep it

RebuildYear5

Sep 24, 2020
If we were going to move Andersen (or Johnsson, Kerfoot etc.) for draft picks we likely would've done it yesterday.

Pre sure Kyle tried moving Nylander for a top-10 pick....I wouldn't say he wasnt trying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad