Does Matthews surpass Marner and Tavares in points this season

Does Matthews surpass Marner and Tavares in pts this season

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
15gms is a huge headstart.

but leading the team in PPG and gpg, when the next two guys have played together all year (and while getting less toi than them), really says it all.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He won't catch either but it will be close between him and Tavares in goals and assists.

Won't catch or pass Marner.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
So long as the Tavares/Marner line is the #1 match up line facing all the toughest competition, Matty should go to town and take advantage of those match ups and outpoint both go forward. Probably too far back to catch them though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think he can pass Tavares in overall pts. Matthews is just heating up. I think he can pass him in pts and goals this season in less games. Proving how worth his contract is.

Personally I think Matthews is the best player on the team. Has had bad luck with injuries his first couple of seasons. But I really think Marner is overrated. I may be wrong, but I don't think Marner adds as much value to the team as Matthews does for the foreseeable future.

Love Marner, think he's a great player. But not the best on the team as some make him out to be.

Remember how many games Matthews has played this season, and who he has played with consistently as wingers. Marleau? Kapanen? Johnsson? A couple with Nylander? A couple with Brown? Ennis?

And now look at his points!!!! Goals!!!!

In how much ice-time?

Now look at Marner, who he has played with all season. How many minutes he gets.

Its not even a debate as to who the best player on the team is. Matthews is every day and twice on Sundays

Marner has been our best player this season, sorry. He's been almost consistently the better player at both ends of the ice since the first 7 games other than the odd game here and there. Matthews was better before and should be better going forward, but it's undeniable Marner has been #1 for us this season.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Marner has been our best player this season, sorry. He's been almost consistently the better player at both ends of the ice since the first 7 games other than the odd game here and there. Matthews was better before and should be better going forward, but it's undeniable Marner has been #1 for us this season.

Tavares has made him look pretty great. But it’s a team sport after all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Actually, what I find about Marner is he often escapes the harshest criticisms and when he has a quiet night people just don't notice it. I think there's a combination of well deserved good will in general, but he also doesn't stand out at you like an under performing 6'4" center might.

Reactions: Walshy7

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Actually, what I find about Marner is he often escapes the harshest criticisms and when he has a quiet night people just don't notice it. I think there's a combination of well deserved good will in general, but he also doesn't stand out at you like an under performing 6'4" center might.
Yeah. It's really not at all clear who has been the better player this year, and I agree that Marner never seem to get criticized. I'd say that Matthews was the better of the two tonight yet I've seen a whole bunch of comments about how bad his game was and not one comment on how Marner had maybe his worst game of the season.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

He hasn't been good the last little while here, but honestly he's had more A games or close to it than anyone on the team this year, no question at all.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah. It's really not at all clear who has been the better player this year, and I agree that Marner never seem to get criticized. I'd say that Matthews was the better of the two tonight yet I've seen a whole bunch of comments about how bad his game was and not one comment on how Marner had maybe his worst game of the season.

Matthews was better tonight, most games this season he really hasn't been. Lately he's been better though.

Also, did you ever think the reason why people aren't commenting on Marner's bad game is because he hasn't had a lot of them? Food for thought.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007

They both sucked tonight.
The whole team sucked.

Reactions: Notsince67

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Where would Matthews be if Nylander missed no time and was on his wing entire year. Where would Matthews be if Marner was on his wing instead of Tavares? Where would Matthews be if he never was injured?

When you take into account who Matthews has played with in comparison to Marner/Tavares together entire year. It's obvious who the better player is.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Comparing Mathews' forst 3 seasons to Kucherov's.

Matthews has more goals and points in less games.

Nikita Kucherov
SeasonGames PlayedGoals AssistsPoints
2013-2014529918
2014-201582293665
2015-201677303666
Totals2116881149
Auston Matthews
SeasonGames PlayedGoals AssistsPoints
2016-201782402969
2017-201862342963
2018-201945282666(partial stats, season ongoing)
Totals18910284198
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now that Matthews is about to pass Reilly in points into 3rd on the Leafs. How many of you believe he has an opportunity to catch Tavares and Marner next? How sweet would it be for the Leafs if this actually happens? Could mean less dollars to Marner if it does happen.

I personally think that he will catch Tavares, but to little time to catch Marner. But will be impressive how close he gets with less games played.

Thoughts

Matthews has played 14 less games than MM and JT, so it should be difficult to imagine catching them. IMO

If he does not sure if that speaks to how great AM is or what's wrong with JT and MM.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad