Does mark really score game 7 winning goal?

rangerfan86

Oct 10, 2011
I have had this debate plenty of times with my friends. As I type this I'm watching rangers in 60 which is game 7 Stanley cup finals. Replays show to me that mark never touched the puck on that goal but was awarded the goal. What do you guys think?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Boxscore says yes.

It looks to me like he gets a touch on it, but who cares? Puck went in, rangers won cup

rangerfan86

Oct 10, 2011
I know the rangers won the cup, but to me it's clear he doesn't touch the puck at all. Giving credit to a person who didn't get the goal, that's all I'm saying

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Personally I think it was Graves from his stomach. But it's impossible to say with any certainty. Sequence begins at 7:21 of the following video:

Dec 13, 2010
Always looked like Graves to me, but who cares? This debate has been brought up so many times on this board, it really doesn't matter at this point. Looks like Noonan on most of the replays, but the 2nd one in that video up there makes it seem like Graves might have got a touch on it. None of the replays show Messier, so yeah it's probably not his goal realistically. But again, who cares?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was Noonan and I think it bounced in off a Vancouver defender. And personally I think Mark should have backed off on it because it clearly was not his--his stick does not get there. Whether Noonan gave a **** or not I don't know. He was a good guy and a hard working third line type with size and some grit.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Personally I think it was Graves from his stomach. But it's impossible to say with any certainty. Sequence begins at 7:21 of the following video:

You couldn't go wrong in 1994 broadcast wise. Thorne and Clement on ESPN, Cole, Neale an Irvin on CBC and Marv and Red Light on Wfan.

Shame Cole's senile and Neale is comatose in Buffalo. THey we're unmatched for so long.

Zuuuuc

Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The 9 year old me wanted to believe that Messier touched it before it went in, but at the time I remember my brother saying I don't think Messier touched it and I had my doubts as well.
I remember recording the game and watching it over and over again, to this day I have yet to see Messier's stick touch the puck lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The 9 year old me wanted to believe that Messier touched it before it went in, but at the time I remember my brother saying I don't think Messier touched it and I had my doubts as well.
I remember recording the game and watching it over and over again, to this day I have yet to see Messier's stick touch the puck lol

Messier doesn't sweep th puck into the net, but I think its perfectly possible, and proabably likely, that its him who stops the puck with this blade from basically going into the corner.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
noonan scored the goal without a doubt....that is one of many things that irks me about messier, he should of admitted it wasn't his goal, he knows and everyone knows it, he never touched the puck, I know he is the messiah blah blah blah....but remember he held out of camp the next season until 1 hour before the opener of the season demanding more money....then he bolts for Vancouver a few seasons later leaving gretzky behind for even more money, I'm grateful for mess bringing us the cup, but he and his father were 2 selfish ****** in my mind

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Not sure it's as clear as some make it out to be, and it very well may have been his goal.

I keep clicking on "8:01" on the video full screen, over and over for just 1 second, and you see the puck pick up speed at the exact moment Mess does some sort of wrist flick. It also comes from his direction. I think it all happened really quickly, and that Mess got it on the foreswing, not the back swing, if that makes any sense. And sure, there's totally a chance he didn't touch it. But the video does show some signs that he may in fact have. Just keep clicking on 8:01. Watch the puck pick up speed and go between the goalies legs at the exact moment he does some sort of wrist flick. The other bodies sliding in front wouldn't seem to have made the puck pick up speed or direct in that angle.

GarretJoseph*

That first goal was such an awesome play by Messier.

I could watch those celebrations a thousand times.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Noonan's goal, it just looked like it could have been others since it was bouncing around. In fact I think it hit the Canuck player, then off Mcleans leg. Those Canucks hold the answer, they won't tell though :p:

Bardof425*

I was there and have seen it dozens of times and have never seen any angle that shows him touching the puck. I believe it should have been Noonan's goal

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i like that the home teams wore the white unis back in those days. mactavish without a helmet. was that larmer's first-and-only-cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad