Does mark really score game 7 winning goal?

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I've watched that thing dozens of times and I still can't tell. For the first few dozen times I thought it was Noonan, now I'm back to thinking it was Mess.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yep...played 10 years with the Blackhawks before the trade. Great player.

Great great player. If the Blackhawks were to retire his number, no one would bat an eye. Borderline hall-of-famer and a hell of a gum chewer.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Anyone who has a strong opinion on this is just doing it to have an opinion. It's as impossible to tell as it gets.

Here's the way I feel about it: Since it was impossible to tell, then it doesn't really matter in terms of the scoresheet. Since it doesn't really matter that way, I like that Messier was awarded the goal, because it makes for a far, far better story.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyone who has a strong opinion on this is just doing it to have an opinion. It's as impossible to tell as it gets.

Here's the way I feel about it: Since it was impossible to tell, then it doesn't really matter in terms of the scoresheet. Since it doesn't really matter that way, I like that Messier was awarded the goal, because it makes for a far, far better story.

With all due respect it never appeared to me that either Messier or his stick were close enough to the trajectory of the puck for him to be the goalscorer. What seems to happen is after Noonan's shot it goes in off of one of the collapsing Vancouver defenders. And it's probably not a surprise that that was never cleared up by Vancouver players as it pretty much could be seen as an own goal which ended all their hopes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
With all due respect it never to me that either Messier or his stick were close enough to the trajectory of the puck for him to be the goalscorer. What seems to happen is after Noonan's shot it goes in off of one of the collapsing Vancouver defenders. And it's probably not a surprise that that was never cleared up by Vancouver players as it pretty much could be seen as an own goal which ended all their hopes.

The puck changes direction dramatically. It's impossible to tell where Messier's stick is in the fray. It's impossible to tell where the change in direction actually occurs. So, with all due respect, you also proved my point in saying "What seems to happen"... which is another way of saying "I don't really know, but here's what I think"

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
To me it looks very unlikely that mess got a piece of it. either noonan or graves and then it hit the canucks defender. Has nobody involved in the play ever really talked about it? I find that hard to believe. Mess reacts like it's his, but if it wasn't you'd think he would have admitted it by now.

Also, yea, why did you start this thread in october and not july?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You couldn't go wrong in 1994 broadcast wise. Thorne and Clement on ESPN, Cole, Neale an Irvin on CBC and Marv and Red Light on Wfan.

Shame Cole's senile and Neale is comatose in Buffalo. THey we're unmatched for so long.

Neale is long gone from our broadcasts.

And I always thought it was Graves from the tumtum.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The puck changes direction dramatically. It's impossible to tell where Messier's stick is in the fray. It's impossible to tell where the change in direction actually occurs. So, with all due respect, you also proved my point in saying "What seems to happen"... which is another way of saying "I don't really know, but here's what I think"

Not quite exactly what I said though even with the 'What seems to happen'--as I also said that Messier and/or his stick was never close enough to the trajectory of the puck which pretty much rules him out. So the 'what seems to happen' in this case is more conclusive than non-conclusive----IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad