Does Lucic trade give hope for Wings swapping bad contracts?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Neal @ $5.75 with 4 years remaining for:

Lucic @ $6.00 (with $.75 retained by Edmonton)

A 3rd round conditional pick from Edmonton if James Neal gets at least 21 goals and Lucic scores 10 or fewer goals than Neal.

I think Holland won the deal, not sure why Calgary even entertained it. Neal must be a cancer in the locker room or something.

Obviously both of those teams are in different spots in their development, but I just wanted to see if anyone had ideas on swaps that might help the Wings and Team ______.

I think the obvious 2 players on the Wings roster are Abdelkader and Nielsen.

As for targets, I don't watch much of other NHL teams, but scrolling through a list of bad contracts, here are a couple guys I found:

-C Derek Stepan @ $6.5 million until 2021 for Nielsen @ $5.25 until 2022. The Yotes don't need the space, but the Wings don't either. With NTC's on both sides, I'm not sure why or how either team does this.

-C/RW David Backes @ $6 million until 2021 for Nielsen. This deal gives Boston more cap ($.75) a penalty killing 3rd line center to give their top players a break there, and Detroit gets 1 less year.

-C Brandon Dubinsky @ $5.85 million until 2021 for Nielsen. Detroit gets 1 less year, not sure what the BJs get.

I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Let's not forget Lucic wanted to get traded wich resulted in him waiving his NMC. Abby and Nieslen have NTC but I'm not sure what the details of them are.

Reactions: avssuc

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It doesn't shorten our term but I would think about Abdelkader and a second for Turris.

I don't think Nashville wants out that badly, but hey never hurts to ask.

He is another name I would add though to perhaps Nashville is willing to trade years and higher salary for a problem situation. I think he might be able to get it back on track.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I really do still believe we will be able to move Nielsen's contract after next year's bonus payment. Assuming a pending lockout hasn't thrown that picture into something completely different.

So many contracts have been structured around an anticipated lockout. It's going to get interesting what happens. And not good interesting.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if can happen my goal is to delete some years of cap hit . also i dont think 19 will trade neilsen and leave roster real short at center . but maybe abdelkader would waive for a contender . we move a 4 year cap hit for a two year would make me happy . mean while abdelkader is a solid bottom 6 grinder with good attitude just over payed , so i could fathom a contender being interested in trading a guy that isnt bringing as much for him . one team that comes to mind is tbay which could use some size/ruggedness

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I really do still believe we will be able to move Nielsen's contract after next year's bonus payment. Assuming a pending lockout hasn't thrown that picture into something completely different.
If we retain 1.5 mil, I could see many teams being interested. I don't view Nielsen as bad as others seemingly do around here. If he was making 3.75 instead, I doubt many would complain. Likewise, I think if the Wings retained a mil-1.5 on Helm's contract, he could be moved without having to give up a sweetner at the TDL.

Abby's contract on the other hand.... well, let's hope we get some compliance buyouts

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think we should trade Aby . If he already became Cleary 2.0 he should be send to GR. Especially now we going to have our golden feature there. Let him be with kids .

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Just hold and wait for the contracts to run out.
my outlook is i want the cap space for possible ufa signings . but on the upside our two bad contracts of neilsen n abs are to players that contribute but are just over payed , contribute plus have good attitudes which is important for team culture so keeping them on roster isnt bad , its just that ide prefer the cap space in case some thing like a josi hitting the ufa market happens so i have big coin to spend

Reactions: lilidk

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
my outlook is i want the cap space for possible ufa signings.

Signings such as Val Filppula and Patrik Nemeth?

The Red Wings had over $10 million in cap space this offseason and wasted it. They shouldn't have signed anyone. They didn't need to.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

The Red Wings had over $10 million in cap space this offseason and wasted it. They shouldn't have signed anyone. They didn't need to.
19 signed them so he wouldnt allow his players to be left hanging with huge flaws in the line up . short term signings that in no way affect the future when we enter our window . and besides these patch signings there wasnt anybody appropriate that would sign here . this is a cry baby post by you lol

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
19 signed them so he wouldnt allow his players to be left hanging with huge flaws in the line up . short term signings that in no way affect the future when we enter our window . and besides these patch signings there wasnt anybody appropriate that would sign here . this is a cry baby post by you lol

I'm not the one who believes the Red Wings have even the slightest chance to sign Roman Josi, even if he makes it to free agency (he won't).

The lineup still has huge flaws with Filppula and Nemeth.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
my outlook is i want the cap space for possible ufa signings . but on the upside our two bad contracts of neilsen n abs are to players that contribute but are just over payed , contribute plus have good attitudes which is important for team culture so keeping them on roster isnt bad , its just that ide prefer the cap space in case some thing like a josi hitting the ufa market happens so i have big coin to spend

The Red Wings are projected to have 43M+ in cap to spend next offseason, I think they'll have plenty of money for free agents lol.

Even assuming Mantha, AA, and Bertuzzi all resign with an AAV of 6M/year, that leaves them with ~25M to spend in FA and fill the 7 remaining roster spots. 3 of those roster spots likely go to Zadina, Hronek, Cholowski - who would all be making like the minimum. So that's 22M or so to fill 4 roster spots.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I'm not the one who believes the Red Wings have even the slightest chance to sign Roman Josi, even if he makes it to free agency (he won't).

guys approaching ufa never say anything but they want to re-sign . sure preds want to re-sign , that dont mean he wants to stay there .
concerning flaws no kidding . its just that center and d were the two biggest issues this season in icing a respectable roster , plus nemeth might become a long term red wing that can be our pk guy

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The Red Wings are projected to have 43M+ in cap to spend next offseason, I think they'll have plenty of money for free agents lol.

Even assuming Mantha, AA, and Bertuzzi all resign with an AAV of 6M/year, that leaves them with ~25M to spend in FA and fill the 7 remaining roster spots. 3 of those roster spots likely go to Zadina, Hronek, Cholowski - who would all be making like the minimum. So that's 22M or so to fill 4 roster spots.
ive not looked into the cap space factor these next two seasons in detail , but i can never have enough cap space . and its not just next season its the 4 following seasons if we can delete abdelkaders hit

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
ive not looked into the cap space factor these next two seasons in detail , but i can never have enough cap space . and its not just next season its the 4 following seasons if we can delete abdelkaders hit

Worry about that down the road. We don't need to give up an asset to move Abdelkader anytime soon because we don't need the space.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Worry about that down the road. We don't need to give up an asset to move Abdelkader anytime soon because we don't need the space.
i never said anything about moving an asset ! i said bad contract for bad contract with thee intentions of getting a shorter bad contract

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Frans Neilsen to Ottawa 12 months from now. 5M cap hit for 2years, total salary 5.5M.

Ottawa may give back Ryan, 50% retained.

Ottawa saves 9.5M real money, Adds 1.25M to their cap hit which may be required to hit the floor. Detroit saves 1.25M on the cap and gets a better player.

Given age and production I think Detroit would have to add, 2nd rounder or B level prospect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Frans Neilsen to Ottawa 12 months from now. 5M cap hit for 2years, total salary 5.5M.

Ottawa may give back Ryan, 50% retained.

Ottawa saves 9.5M real money, Adds 1.25M to their cap hit which may be required to hit the floor. Detroit saves 1.25M on the cap and gets a better player.

Given age and production I think Detroit would have to add, 2nd rounder or B level prospect.

I have a feeling Detroit fans aren't going to be super jazzed about Bobby Ryan...

giphy.gif

He would be a right handed shot for our 2nd PP. I am not sure if he has an extra year more than Nielsen though... That would be a problem for me if he did.

Reactions: avssuc

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think they did.
Filppula gives Detroit a decent, and legit center that should allow Athanasiou to simply his game. He's still smart enough to make plays, too. I haven't see the zone entry and zone exit charts, but I'd bet they look pretty. He's a placeholder for Veleno.
Nemeth gives us a still somewhat young (ie, not over the hill) LD who can babysit Hronek, Green or Bowey, and play the PK.
I think he's the placeholder, perhaps, for McIsaac.

These are veteran guys who provide just a bit of stability, defense and smarts to help our young guys develop,

Remember, the following 25-U players are on the roster next year:
Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hirose, Ehn, Hronek, Bowey... and then maybe Svechnikov, Cholowski, Zadina and Rasmussen.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I have a feeling Detroit fans aren't going to be super jazzed about Bobby Ryan...

giphy.gif

He would be a right handed shot for our 2nd PP. I am not sure if he has an extra year more than Nielsen though... That would be a problem for me if he did.

No one should be jazzed much less super jazzed on Ryan. and if you think Ottawa would be jazzed about Neilsen .....

Same contract length as Neilsen, 3 years younger, and somewhat better production.

Ottawa may need cap filler 1 year from now. Only 27M under contract with many young players expecting to play, only Chabot due a noticable raise. Mind you they need another 14 contracts, but with 9 rookie types pushing at 1M each they need salary, and free agents have little wish to sign in Ottawa. We have been jettisoning contracts with payouts to ones with small residuals for a bit now, so money also aappears to be an issue with signing players.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Ok? And how are they better by having not signed them? How are they better with 10M in cap space in 2019 or 4M?

By signing those guys, the Wings aren’t completely ****ed WHEN injuries happen and if a guy like Veleno makes the team it’s because he kicked ass instead of by default.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad