Does LA make a trade to clear space when Arvidsson returns?

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
If we are playing lights out you keep them and get RV to do a Tampa/Vegas injury timeline and go into the playoffs loaded. If Clarke just won’t be denied you trade Roy for a 1st

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I hope the Kings send Laffy down and trade for a gritty winger...

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Danault-Moore
Arvidsson-PLD-Hathaway/Josh Anderson-someone similar
Grunstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
Extra: JAD

0 goals and 3 assists Anderson? No thanks we already have our 6’3” 220lbs loaf in PL and he at least has 11 points.

I actually think PL and Arvy would work well together.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
No team is going to trade any player for arvidsson until he is back playing for a while. Until that happens teams will see him as damaged goods.
I think if blake doesnt stand pat (except to get a goaltender) they should quit f•••••g over arty and just make him part of a trade pkg. it would be the best for the kid

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I know the idea of changing the roster when they are rolling isn't ideal, but are people really ok with losing Roy (who would be very valuable) for nothing? Don't get me wrong, I understand it, but that's a tough pill to swallow

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I know the idea of changing the roster when they are rolling isn't ideal, but are people really ok with losing Roy (who would be very valuable) for nothing? Don't get me wrong, I understand it, but that's a tough pill to swallow
It is a little like bringing Voynov up and trading Johnson.

I can’t see them doing it unless they think Clarke can handle it.

Different skill sets too. I think Roy stays and walks as a UFA.

I don’t expect any adds in the off-season.

I do think it was Jim and Nick who mentioned making room when RV gets back. That Spence won’t go anywhere. They discussed moving Bjornfot to free space possibly.

I’m too lazy to crunch the actual possible numbers. Not sure if Lafferiere going down would be enough to offset a possible early RV return.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

That’s been my position for a while. Roy is great but our cap and pipeline situation is such that he’s not feasible long term. You never want to let a player go for free, so you make a rare sell at the deadline as a contender.

You have to accept one of two things: either risk losing Roy for free in the summer, or risk disrupting chemistry in a contending season.

I think Clarke is talented enough that you take the second risk, but that’s my opinion.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If New Jersey is out of the playoffs at the deadline, let’s trade Bjornfot and a second for Toffoli at 50% and keep Arvidsson out until the playoffs.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Danault - Toffoli
Moore - Dubois - Arvidsson
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If New Jersey is out of the playoffs at the deadline, let’s trade Bjornfot and a second for Toffoli at 50% and keep Arvidsson out until the playoffs.

Are we trading Kaliyev too?

That forward group could use a bit of sandpaper.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Not sure New Jersey would do that. Especially with retention.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

Toffoli will be the most coveted forward on the market if he's made available. Just because the Kings only got a 2nd and blah prospect when they traded him doesn't mean they'll get the same deal now.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Toffoli will be the most coveted forward on the market if he's made available. Just because the Kings only got a 2nd and blah prospect when they traded him doesn't mean they'll get the same deal now.
I disagree on the most coveted, i think that is lindholm, but i agree that would not be enough to get Toffoli

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It is a little like bringing Voynov up and trading Johnson.

I can’t see them doing it unless they think Clarke can handle it.

We can't pretend that they traded Johnson because Voynov was ready in the minors. Voynov had played 33 of 61 games that year. They traded Johnson because they were on the edge of the playoffs the day that trade was made, they desperately needed offense, and D was a position of depth. Had Gagne and Penner been healthy/able to score, Carter isn't here, and I believe DL is more than comfortable going to the playoffs with the 7 D they had, and Drewiske as the 8th guy. As we saw in both 2013 and 2014, you just don't often see your top 6 D play every playoff game for 4 rounds.

Should they remain a top team in the league, and Arvidsson were to come back before the playoffs, I can't see them trading a guy that's been a top 4 D for them, just because we want to see the young guy, who has yet to play in the NHL this year, and can't lose Roy for nothing. If the Kings have teal Cup aspirations, Roy walking is something you worry about later.

When DL got McNabb at the deadline, he did so because he knew Mitchell was the odd man out that summer, and wanted to preemptively land his replacement, but he didn't get rid of Mitchell

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
We can't pretend that they traded Johnson because Voynov was ready in the minors. Voynov had played 33 of 61 games that year. They traded Johnson because they were on the edge of the playoffs the day that trade was made, they desperately needed offense, and D was a position of depth. Had Gagne and Penner been healthy/able to score, Carter isn't here, and I believe DL is more than comfortable going to the playoffs with the 7 D they had, and Drewiske as the 8th guy. As we saw in both 2013 and 2014, you just don't often see your top 6 D play every playoff game for 4 rounds.
When Carter was acquired, this team wasn't even in a playoff spot -- DL was trying to solidify a playoff berth with that trade, not win a cup.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Are we trading Kaliyev too?

That forward group could use a bit of sandpaper.
They might as well trade arty as continue to play him 6min/ nite. Our big brain coach cant figure out where to play him. Hed bring back something and they obviously dont think much of him.
It would be the best for the guy

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They might as well trade arty as continue to play him 6min/ nite. Our big brain coach cant figure out where to play him. Hed bring back something and they obviously dont think much of him.
team is rolling, don't care if Kaliyev plays this little as long as team is winning.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Don't worry, nobody will accuse you of being a drama queen:

1701799814741.png

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If we are playing lights out you keep them and get RV to do a Tampa/Vegas injury timeline and go into the playoffs loaded. If Clarke just won’t be denied you trade Roy for a 1st
i call it the chicago thing as they did it with Vermette and Kane i believe. Or just Kane and it allowed them to add vermette

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I don't get why people get all upset over a player playing out his contract. Roy's been on the Kings for the past 5 plus years, for long stretches the best defenseman on the team. He has outplayed his contract AAV every year. That is absolutely not "nothing". The Kings have gotten an extraordinary value from the 5+ years he's been here, so if he plays out the season and leaves via free agency, it'll have been a huge win-win for all involved.

I don't see how the Kings could justify trading Matt Roy if they don't absolutely have to. And they don't absolutely have to. I'll just leave this here:
1701804512208.png

Roy has nearly led the Kings in even strength ice time in the playoffs over the past two seasons and been on the plus side. Clearly outplayed Doughty, Anderson, and Durzi. This is not the player you want to move before the playoffs.

I say the Kings keep Roy to the end of the playoffs. If the Kings go deep and Roy is quietly excellent as usual, the Kings should do what they have to do to keep him. If the Kings fail in the playoffs and want a change in the dynamics in the back end, then you let Roy find another home and bring in Brandt Clarke in September. I also think Brandt Clarke will find his way onto the roster by the end of the season one way or the other.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Should they remain a top team in the league, and Arvidsson were to come back before the playoffs, I can't see them trading a guy that's been a top 4 D for them, just because we want to see the young guy, who has yet to play in the NHL this year, and can't lose Roy for nothing. If the Kings have teal Cup aspirations, Roy walking is something you worry about later.

When DL got McNabb at the deadline, he did so because he knew Mitchell was the odd man out that summer, and wanted to preemptively land his replacement, but he didn't get rid of Mitchell
You move Roy IF they think Clarke gives them that extra bit of x-factor needed to win. Personally I would because I think Roy is being elevated by Gavrikov and whilst is solid he playing above his level as it were. Zone entries and giveaways are a problem and have been for a while. However if they don’t give Clarke some time to assess if he can form a partnership with Gavrikov there is zero chance it happens, without the team hitting some sort of wall between now and the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad