Does LA make a trade to clear space when Arvidsson returns?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
This is a bit of a non-issue at the moment but does LA have to clear space when RV gets back? How much will need to be cleared? Spence is waiver free at this point but has earned a spot on the team and is big piece for that matter.

Also, RV and Roy are UFAs at the end of the year. Will LA be able to retain them?

Does LA consider a Roy trade in favor of bringing up Clarke? Would they even consider that with chemistry and structure of the team and the success they are having.

Just a mental exercise more than anything. Enjoying the moment and this season but I'm wondering what the future holds for RV and Roy. Keep them for a run and let them walk in UFA?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This is a bit of a non-issue at the moment but does LA have to clear space when RV gets back? How much will need to be cleared? Spence is waiver free at this point but has earned a spot on the team and is big piece for that matter.

Also, RV and Roy are UFAs at the end of the year. Will LA be able to retain them?

Does LA consider a Roy trade in favor of bringing up Clarke? Would they even consider that with chemistry and structure of the team and the success they are having.

Just a mental exercise more than anything. Enjoying the moment and this season but I'm wondering what the future holds for RV and Roy. Keep them for a run and let them walk in UFA?

Pretty sure Laf goes down, RV slots in....I don't think they need to create any space

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Gavrikov-Roy is the best defensive pair in the NHL so I doubt they’re breaking that up any time soon.
I don’t think they resign Roy, he’ll be too expensive and Clarke is the type of Dman we been waiting for since we drafted Drew..

That pairing has more to do with Gavrikov than it does with Roy.. I came around and have been a big Roy supporter and think his value is a 1st ++.. think Muzzin.. I’ve said he’s very similar to Mackenzie Weegar with one big exception..
Matt Roy is one of the worse Dmen in the NHL at denying zone entries and when you have McJebus, Drai, Eichel, MacKinnon and the rest, it becomes a huge problem in the playoffs.. should they trade him, probably not but you also need what a Brandt Clarke brings on this team.. as much of a surprise as Englund has been I would move Drew to his offside and insert the Roy there and Clarke with Gavi..

Anywho, wtf do I know

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
If you HAVE to trade someone, then it’s an easy decision…you trade Arvidsson.
I think RV will make this team that much better.

In my mind, inserting Clarke for Roy makes the most sense. I’d like to see LA pick up a first for Roy. I just think it’s a situation where you keep him as your own rental kind of thing.

If they do need to clear cap to keep Spence on board, it could be interesting.

Again, enjoying the moment and I don’t want to bring down the vibe. Just curious.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Yeah sadly it does seem Arvidsson would be the odd man out if the Kings do need to make a trade because of cap reasons. He's coming off his 2nd back surgery in the last couple years and given he's already 30 - the Kings likely can't afford to keep him anyways. Also, his injury has shown us the Kings are still an elite team without him.

That said, as others have pointed out - There's a world in which Arvy can come back from injury and the Kings can be cap compliant without needing to make a trade (send Laf down to the AHL and carry 21 players on the roster - Which was essentially going to be the plan before the injury).

So really the only need to trade Arvy would be if/when the Kings want to upgrade goaltending. I agree he'll make the team much better - Particularly on the powerplay - But I'm not sure it's feasible to keep him (assuming they do want to upgrade goaltending going into the playoffs).

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
By the time RV is back they’d have likely accrued enough cap space to run a 22 man roster even with him back. So if he misses half the regular season, half his AAV is in the pot. It’ll then be a case of seeing where the team is at a whether they need/want to make an upgrade or change anywhere. It’ll be about whether they want to upgrade things in net or get Clarke in. That’ll depend entirely on the standings, form and whatever other variables that are different at that point. Nothing will be as it is right now so it’s entirely guess work and a lots of ’ifs’.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

In my mind, inserting Clarke for Roy makes the most sense. I’d like to see LA pick up a first for Roy. I just think it’s a situation where you keep him as your own rental kind of thing.

Again, enjoying the moment and I don’t want to bring down the vibe. Just curious.
It will definitely help the PP.

I don’t think they resign Roy, he’ll be too expensive and Clarke is the type of Dman we been waiting for since we drafted Drew..

That pairing has more to do with Gavrikov than it does with Roy.. I came around and have been a big Roy supporter and think his value is a 1st ++.. think Muzzin.. I’ve said he’s very similar to Mackenzie Weegar with one big exception..
Matt Roy is one of the worse Dmen in the NHL at denying zone entries and when you have McJebus, Drai, Eichel, MacKinnon and the rest, it becomes a huge problem in the playoffs.. should they trade him, probably not but you also need what a Brandt Clarke brings on this team.. as much of a surprise as Englund has been I would move Drew to his offside and insert the Roy there and Clarke with Gavi..

Anywho, wtf do I know
From a pure salary cap standpoint, I think you would definitely slot in Clarke for Roy if we don't sign him to another contract. I just don't see us trading Spence. He is cost controlled and performing unbelievably well. Otherwise Blake is in the most unenviable position of figuring out which high performing asset to trade.

Reactions: LAKings88

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

100% -- however, I wouldn't mess with the chemistry of this current roster that AV has been completely absent from this season. No f-ing way in hell am I moving Roy. If you can keep AV without moving anyone else, great.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
100% -- however, I wouldn't mess with the chemistry of this current roster that AV has been completely absent from this season. No f-ing way in hell am I moving Roy. If you can keep AV without moving anyone else, great.
To be fair based on things as they are today it’s hard to disagree.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I hope the Kings send Laffy down and trade for a gritty winger...

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Danault-Moore
Arvidsson-PLD-Hathaway/Josh Anderson-someone similar
Grunstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
Extra: JAD

Reactions: Jungle Boy

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fully agree with trading Arviddson. Likely have to accepts peanuts for him as I do not think the market for an injured winger would be huge

I hope the Kings send Laffy down and trade for a gritty winger...

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Danault-Moore
Arvidsson-PLD-Hathaway/Josh Anderson-someone similar
Grunstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
Extra: JAD
Josh Anderson at 50% is still too much for too many years. Why bring in an anchor contract like that

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Fully agree with trading Arviddson. Likely have to accepts peanuts for him as I do not think the market for an injured winger would be huge

Josh Anderson at 50% is still too much for too many years. Why bring in an anchor contract like that
Because his man grunt is f***ing exceptional

• Haha
Reactions: YP44

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To answer the questions:
This is a bit of a non-issue at the moment but does LA have to clear space when RV gets back?
Yes. They are also 23/23 on roster size. So if he's back before the trade deadline, they'll have to free up roster space, too. After the deadline, the 23/23 limit is lifted, but the cap is still something that would have to be freed up.
How much will need to be cleared?
It depends on when he comes back and how they maneuver players to maximize cap space. I suck at the legalities in this area specifically - others are much better at explaining the ballpark numbers and actions needed to be taken.
Spence is waiver free at this point but has earned a spot on the team and is big piece for that matter.
Spence, Byfield, and Laferriere are all waiver exempt. Most likely candidate to minimize movement would be Laferriere.
With the cap going up, and Kopitar's cap hit going down, it's possible. But the following players are all RFAs and some will likely require raises:
Byfield
Kaliyev
Lizotte
Bjornfot
Moverare
Grundstrom
JAD

Lewis is the only other UFA, so he frees up very little. This also doesn't include players like Clarke, Turcotte, Fagemo, etc of any other players vying for a roster spot.
Does LA consider a Roy trade in favor of bringing up Clarke?
In my opinion, not at the trade deadline. Maybe they'll trade his rights at the draft, but I'd say it's most likely that Roy just walks.
Keep them for a run and let them walk in UFA?
With what the Kings invested, they're pretty much all in. They're not going to worry about recuping futures in a playoff run, and with how tight the cap is, they'd be seeking a player on a similar deal. So either they bring in another RD, which is pointless, or they try to address another position and hope that Clarke fits in.

Since the biggest question mark would be goaltending, I just don't see them distancing themselves from Talbot and Copley.

So, I think they'll take the lowest risk choices:
- send down Laferriere and/or JAD to free up cap space when Arvidsson gets healthy
- take their chances in the playoffs with Roy and Arvidsson
- try to negotiate contracts to keep them
- let the players walk if they can't come to an agreement.

Edit: incorrectly stated Kaliyev is waiver exempt. Fixed the list.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
To answer the questions:

Yes. They are also 23/23 on roster size. So if he's back before the trade deadline, they'll have to free up roster space, too. After the deadline, the 23/23 limit is lifted, but the cap is still something that would have to be freed up.

It depends on when he comes back and how they maneuver players to maximize cap space. I suck at the legalities in this area specifically - others are much better at explaining the ballpark numbers and actions needed to be taken.

Spence, Byfield, Kaliyev, and Laferriere are all waiver exempt. Most likely candidate to minimize movement would be Laferriere.

With the cap going up, and Kopitar's cap hit going down, it's possible. But the following players are all RFAs and some will likely require raises:
Byfield
Kaliyev
Lizotte
Bjornfot
Moverare
Grundstrom
JAD

Lewis is the only other UFA, so he frees up very little. This also doesn't include players like Clarke, Turcotte, Fagemo, etc of any other players vying for a roster spot.

In my opinion, not at the trade deadline. Maybe they'll trade his rights at the draft, but I'd say it's most likely that Roy just walks.

With what the Kings invested, they're pretty much all in. They're not going to worry about recuping futures in a playoff run, and with how tight the cap is, they'd be seeking a player on a similar deal. So either they bring in another RD, which is pointless, or they try to address another position and hope that Clarke fits in.

Since the biggest question mark would be goaltending, I just don't see them distancing themselves from Talbot and Copley.

So, I think they'll take the lowest risk choices:
- send down Laferriere and/or JAD to free up cap space when Arvidsson gets healthy
- take their chances in the playoffs with Roy and Arvidsson
- try to negotiate contracts to keep them
- let the players walk if they can't come to an agreement.

Agree with everything but trying to retain them in the summer.....

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Fitting him under the cap shouldn't be an issue.

But if LA wants to add anything at the deadline it becomes a problem.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think the Kings genuinely like both Roy and Arvidsson, so that's why I think they'll at least do their due diligence to keep them.

I agree that the end result will be both walking, as they simply can't afford to keep them.

I agree they like them, but even signing them at league minimum, it's not good, when you have Clarke and Laferrier, who can replace them, and that's me being extremely wary of having Spence and Clarke on the RD side, just defensively speaking

Reactions: King'sPawn

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
So when is RV coming back? X-Mas? All-Star Break? Playoffs?

Probably going to have enough cap space not to need to make any trade, just sending JAD/Laf down, depending on timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad