Does Kap trade change

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
No reason to sign him for a penny more than league minimum. If that's too much of a pay cut for him, he can find a spot elsewhere.

A side effect of the unexpected flat cap (and greatly reduced revenue) is that a bunch of teams will likely carry 22 or even 21 players instead of 23, so there'll be maybe 15-20 players looking for jobs that ordinarily would have one. This means there'll be a pool of players so GMs can find the right fit (instead of whoever is left), and fringe players should probably take any offer they're given.

His game is basically hitting the dman who has already moved the puck. The only time this works is when you get 3 guys on a line like him that just keep swarming (think Matt Martin in T.O. vs Matt Martin in NYI) Unless we're building a 4th line like that (which I'm not against) I'm meh about keeping him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Technically it's not a 2nd. It's the difference between a 3rd and a 2nd.

That’s a second.

Put another way, you’d probably sign off on trading Clifford and a third for a second.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That’s a second.

Put another way, you’d probably sign off on trading Clifford and a third for a second.
Yes, I would. The value difference between the 2 is not as big as one might think.

But it all depends on the cost to sign him. It has to be close to league minimum.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
That’s a second.

No, I don’t think it would make any sense at all to trade Clifford & 3rd for a 2nd, especially when we’re competing NOW.

he would have to sign a reasonable contract however of course

Reactions: qqaz

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I rather have Matt Martin, but he was at $2.5 million... which would be more then we can afford to fill in any top six forward role.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Depends what the replacement would be if he leaves. Dubas knows the player and picked him up for a reason.

I don't like giving a second away, but at this juncture there are far bigger deficiencies than a few draft picks and we do have a backup now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, I don’t think it would make any sense at all to trade Clifford & 3rd for a 2nd, especially when we’re competing NOW.

The funny thing is if Toronto had made the playoffs if 82 games were played or defeated Columbus in the qualifying series since the global pandemic changed the trade conditions, that conditional 3rd round pick would have turned into a 2021 2nd round pick for the Kings which they would automatically have got. So besides whatever Clifford's new possible contract would look like, would we still debate re-signing him knowing they had to give up their 2021 2nd round pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Why do you assume there aren't better, cheaper options out there than Kyle Clifford that doesn't involve having to move a second? This guy played less than 5 minutes in a Game 5 elimination game so pretending that he's some impact grinder is simply not accurate.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they genuinely like the player and think he can be a useful piece for the next few seasons then I don't think they'd let the pick condition stop them.

That said I expect him to walk to free agency in part because they will be other 4th line energy players available thus saving the need for the pick upgrade

horner

May 22, 2007
I'd be all for bringing back Clifford if he provided a tangible benefit to this team. He was absolutely invisible in the playoffs for a heart and soul energy guy, and did next to nothing during the season.

I think hes the right "type" of player we are looking for, just didnt bring it enough to warrant losing a higher pick.
The problem is .
The fouth line hardly played .
You need another Clifford to make them a line that rattles some bones and causes havoc .
You need to play them more than 6 or 7 minutes a game.

Clifford and Spezza and ( Corey Perry or Austin Watson )

Try and pry Josh Anderson Out of Columba's

Anderson Taveras Marner
Hyman Mathews Nylander
Robertson

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Would be happy to see the Leafs re-sign him; a bonus laiden contract for possibly 1.25 x 4. Seems to be a very well respected leader and hockey player and fills a desperate void on the Leafs. I bet he signs and Dubas and company seem to like him as well.

Reactions: qqaz

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Why do you assume there aren't better, cheaper options out there than Kyle Clifford that doesn't involve having to move a second? This guy played less than 5 minutes in a Game 5 elimination game so pretending that he's some impact grinder is simply not accurate.
So who are the replacement options?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
1. Resigning Clifford means 31 or 32 spots between 33rd overall to 99th overall. And it is all relevant.
2. It depends on price

Personally, I would bring Clifford back at the right price and Start building a heavy forecheck bottom six.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So who are the replacement options?

Do your own research about player types and the league and player types who fit the bill. Start with UFA's and then RFA's and move onto cap crunched teams with physical forwards. I'm not here to throw out names for you to nay say.

Reactions: geo25

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think if we keep clifford, it is in an effort to infuse some grit and toughness into the young core...before it is too late and they are stuck in their soft ways. I would be ok with investing a 2nd rnd pick into trying to change the culture of this team. However, what would it cost to get Crouse? Huge, young.... similar player to Wilson. Could see him turning the corner offensively on a line with Matthews and Marner.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the Coyotes want to save money and recoup picks for Lawson Crouse?

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
This is the working example of why the players wanted to get rid of conditions for trades, the guy might lose a job he probably would land because his last team stuck him with conditions.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the Coyotes want to save money and recoup picks for Lawson Crouse?
I think Coyotes will want to stay competitive rather than lose more NHL ready players for prospects who will not be ready for some time (on top of Hall). Maybe they would be interested in Johnsson for Crouse? Crouse has improved every year.. given how scarce players like him are and his draft hype, I am guessing his value around the league would be quite high.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Do your own research about player types and the league and player types who fit the bill. Start with UFA's and then RFA's and move onto cap crunched teams with physical forwards. I'm not here to throw out names for you to nay say.
I’ve done that, and haven’t found any better options. You said there are... do we all just get to say things with no justification, or am I missing something? Please enlighten me

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
4 years at $1,500,000 is a great deal for Clifford. His fourth line played well this playoff qualifier. Ask Keefe he’ll concur.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Let him walk, picks are essential to keep feeding this team with cheap entry level kids down the line with our cap structure...especially now with a flat cap foreseeable.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Coyotes will want to stay competitive rather than lose more NHL ready players for prospects who will not be ready for some time (on top of Hall). Maybe they would be interested in Johnsson for Crouse? Crouse has improved every year.. given how scarce players like him are and his draft hype, I am guessing his value around the league would be quite high.

A few media guys today were saying they're probably heading to a retool/rebuild and will be shedding salary

Reactions: Antropovsky and kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad