Does Kap trade change

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd be all for bringing back Clifford if he provided a tangible benefit to this team. He was absolutely invisible in the playoffs for a heart and soul energy guy, and did next to nothing during the season.

I think hes the right "type" of player we are looking for, just didnt bring it enough to warrant losing a higher pick.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The sting of bringing back Clifford?giving up a 2nd instead of a 3rd? Thoughts
I would consider it, yes. It won't affect this year's draft, so there is a full year to recoup the difference.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd is for 2021. Whether or not Clifford re-signs should be about the contract as much as it should be about the round placement of that pick.

Reactions: freshwind and kb

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The 2020 3rd round pick Toronto gave up in the Campbell/Clifford trade they got from Columbus. So I look at it as extra capital Dubas was able to take advantage of which he previously did not have.

For those who forget the details of that trade here it is.

eb 5, 2020
Los Angeles Kings Acquire:
los_angeles_kings.svg

Trevor Moore
2020 3rd round pick (CBJ)
2021 conditional 3rd round pick* (TOR)
*Conditions: The 2021 3rd round pick upgrades to a 2nd round pick if either Kyle Clifford re-signs with Toronto OR if the Leafs make the 2019-20 playoffs and Jack Campbell wins 6 regular season games.

Updated conditions: Due the the shortened season, the NHL ruled that the 2021 3rd rounds pick upgrades to a 2021 2nd round pick if the Leafs win their qualifying round series and Jack Campbell gets 2 or more wins OR if Kyle Clifford re-signs with Toronto.
Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire:
toronto_maple_leafs.svg

Jack Campbell
Kyle Clifford ($800,000 retained - 50%)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So if Clifford is re-signed and that means giving up their 2021 2nd round pick, maybe it's something Dubas can get back in another trade if he moved Andreas Johnsson or Alex Kerfoot.

Reactions: kb

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The 2021 draft wasn't considered a very good draft in the first place and missing some serious developmental time will further weaken it. I don't think the difference between a 2nd and 3rd round pick will end up being very consequential. It's probably a good draft to have a lot of late picks to throw around and hope you get lucky.

Reactions: qqaz and kb

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I would rather not. Being smart on one trade doesn’t give you license to make a poorer decision elsewhere.
Yeah, lets go back to having our star players lined up and taken out at centre ice. Theres more to the game than skill, and there arent many guys who bring Clifford's physicality that can actually play the game as well as he can.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would rather not. Being smart on one trade doesn’t give you license to make a poorer decision elsewhere.
I think if we keep clifford, it is in an effort to infuse some grit and toughness into the young core...before it is too late and they are stuck in their soft ways. I would be ok with investing a 2nd rnd pick into trying to change the culture of this team. However, what would it cost to get Crouse? Huge, young.... similar player to Wilson. Could see him turning the corner offensively on a line with Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: geo25 and aingefan

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'd be all for bringing back Clifford if he provided a tangible benefit to this team. He was absolutely invisible in the playoffs for a heart and soul energy guy, and did next to nothing during the season.

I think hes the right "type" of player we are looking for, just didnt bring it enough to warrant losing a higher pick.

Thought Clifford was impactful as a heavy 4th liner can be minus the goal scoring. His line was a positive contributer in the playoff series. Not sure what more would be expected?

Kyle Clifford's massive hit sends Kukan to dressing room - Sportsnet.ca

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I expect him to be re-signed and don’t think the Kapanen trade has anything to do with it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, lets go back to having our star players lined up and taken out at centre ice. Theres more to the game than skill, and there arent many guys who bring Clifford's physicality that can actually play the game as well as he can.

The other thing is, even if we give up a 2nd instead of the 3rd, I think Campbell is worth that 2nd alone. Then factor in Moore and a 3rd for an extended Clifford, and it is well worth it. Honestly, to me, the AAV is the biggest factor. I don't think we can go much higher than 1.25M.

And I think Clifford can easily get 1.5, even 2M on the open market with his skill set. 1.25M is a decent chunk under market for him

Reactions: qqaz

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Under a million, or it's a pass. And I want him to stay.
Clifford's AAV this season was $1.6 million so if he wants to re-sign do you think he will accept a pay cut?

If anyone is willing to do that or make the same amount of money they already were, I think Jason Spezza would.

Although at the time of the trade Clifford said how he was happy to be playing for Toronto because they were his favorite team growing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Clifford's AAV this season was $1.6 million so if he wants to re-sign do you think he will accept a pay cut?

If anyone is willing to do that or make the same amount of money they already were, I think Jason Spezza would.

Although at the time of the trade Clifford said how he was happy to be playing for Toronto because they were his favorite team growing up.
It's a flat cap, and the 4th liners will be hard pressed to get much above the league minimum. The Leafs can't afford to go much above the minimum for the 4th liners. Or third liners for that matter.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thought Clifford was impactful as a heavy 4th liner can be minus the goal scoring. His line was a positive contributer in the playoff series. Not sure what more would be expected?

Kyle Clifford's massive hit sends Kukan to dressing room - Sportsnet.ca
Agreed... his hit in game two woke the team up from their soft prima donna ways.
Clifford and Muzzin were playing playoff hockey while the rest were playing muskoka leaf hockey. We really need more throwback guys like Muzzin and Clifford and fewer Instagram social influencer model wannabes like Nylander, Kapanen and Marner. Not sure if this is a young person thing or a person thing that will never change. Though Kaps physical game was slowly coming around, but it sounds like his personal life was a problem behind closed doors.

Reactions: paulhiggins and kb

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd rather we move on, but I couldn't care less either way. We're talking about most likely a less than 31 pick difference.

Confused as to what this has to do with the Kap trade though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I want the grit factor too but I don’t think it has to come at the price of a second.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's a conditional 2021 3rd round pick that turns into a 2021 2nd round pick if Clifford re-signs. So if he does not the Leafs end up keeping their 3rd round pick.
Exactly. Its either or, not both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad