Value of: Does JVR have any value in a trade?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
7 million on an 81.5 cap Is a lot for JVR man.
Yes it is but JVR is still producing points, in a limited amount of ice time in the bottom 6.
That could change in a year or two but going into the 20-21 season, I don’t see it as negative value.
It’s more like being, bearly above breaking even value which doesn’t necessarily make JVR a cap dump if he were to be traded in the offseason.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Gimme a break lol! Have you seen MacDonald play.
That’s a bad take IMO.
JVR wasn’t starfishing in the NZ or defensive zone like MacDonald used too, I didn’t see JVR falling all over the place while the opposing team blew by him for a goal.

Sure JVR only scored twice in the playoffs at around 14.20 ATOI,
Hayes had over 4 minutes more ATOI in the playoffs that says something.
JVR’s play dipped because of the way he was deployed by AV and the staff in the playoffs.
JVR only had one less point then Hayes in the regular season but I don’t see anyone calling for Hayes to be traded or saying Hayes doesn’t have value.

Comparing Hayes and JVR isn't reasonable. They have different roles. JVR also mails it in, quite a lot. My only reasoning for comparing Mac and JVR is the contract - both are overpaid for what they bring to the team, and the duration is just too much.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The hidden value some of these guys are going to have is % signing bonus of their salary. You got a guy making $7M against the cap but only due $1M in actual dollars this year, that's really attractive.

Exact opposite for JvR though, unfortunately.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Comparing Hayes and JVR isn't reasonable. They have different roles. JVR also mails it in, quite a lot. My only reasoning for comparing Mac and JVR is the contract - both are overpaid for what they bring to the team, and the duration is just too much.

If that's the type of comparable you're looking to make, I think I might look back to Scott Hartnell, when we traded him for Umberger. (Godawful deal, but it was made with the goal of getting out of the contract faster, which it did.) Umberger was a worse player, but his deal was short enough that we could buy him out for a more reasonable amount in time to sign Voracek and Couturier to new contracts, when keeping Hartnell would have been better on the ice but helped with that goal. I feel very much the same about JVR as I did about Hartnell.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Value at 7,000,000 ? None , zero , . In a trade you get back another cap dump

Neal for JVR type of deal . Saves the Flyers money , Edmonton upgrades .

No this is not an offer . It more to show the type of deal that the Flyers would get offer And why another team would do it . Or retain 2,000,000 to 3,000,000 and you may get a dance partner . Flat cap is a killer

Reactions: Accelleratii

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
What about Niederreiter?

He’s got $5.25M x 2 left, so I’d think the Canes would ask for some retention or an extra asset since JVR’s deal has that extra year and a higher cap hit.
The Carolina offers on here have been the smartest. JVR is better player than Nico at this stage but it would cost Canes one more year of contract. Extra asset a 2, maybe. Extra asset a 1 no thanks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Realistically, JVR has negative trade value. However the Flyers could move him fir another team's similarly bad contract.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If JVR was signed for 5.5M, I don't think this would be a thread.

So really we are talking about 3years x 1.5M wasted.

Its not horrible, just keep him. Your team would only get worse in a trade. And yes, no other team wants a 5.5M player at 7M. So you would probably have to retain that 1.5M anyway in a deal, making it not worth moving him. Be happy he is still a useful hockey player.

Reactions: RG3hockey

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
If that's the type of comparable you're looking to make, I think I might look back to Scott Hartnell, when we traded him for Umberger. (Godawful deal, but it was made with the goal of getting out of the contract faster, which it did.) Umberger was a worse player, but his deal was short enough that we could buy him out for a more reasonable amount in time to sign Voracek and Couturier to new contracts, when keeping Hartnell would have been better on the ice but helped with that goal. I feel very much the same about JVR as I did about Hartnell.

Yes that's a fair take on my viewpoint and a better comparable, for sure. Sadly, cap moves are a thing. For me, JVR is the guy on the move solely because of cap. The purpose of the thread was to see how other fan bases value him. While he is a decent middle six player, the Flyers have the depth to move him, and I think they should, assuming Patrick and Frost are on the big club next year.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
If JVR was signed for 5.5M, I don't think this would be a thread.

So really we are talking about 3years x 1.5M wasted.

Its not horrible, just keep him. Your team would only get worse in a trade. And yes, no other team wants a 5.5M player at 7M. So you would probably have to retain that 1.5M anyway in a deal, making it not worth moving him. Be happy he is still a useful hockey player.

The point is you can't really keep him. Sanheim, Laughton, Hart, Hagg, Myers, Pitlick, Aube-Kubel all need new deals this year or next. I think losing Niskanen would hurt greatly, so I'd like to see him back as well. The Flyers need to move some money out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad