Value of: Does JVR have any value in a trade?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Just took a look at that contract...oof.

I’d imagine that the Flyers probably could find a partner, but they’re likely looking at bad contract for bad contract.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
JVR @ $1M retained for Gardiner? Both have 3 years remaining. Gardiner cap hit is $4M, so the Flyers would save $2M per year.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Well COVID has changed everything. A lot of teams can't spend like normal. So that affects trade value. A cap hit like his is a bigger problem than it would normally be. I'll get to that. But I don't think he's worthless.

The good: Hes 31, which isn't that old. And he's a pretty constant 20-30 goal guy. A solid 2nd line winger, who tends to click well with most any linemates. He's as close as some teams will get to a "power forward", since he's got some size and goes to the net. He's a kind of player a coach likes, but a fantasy pool doesn't.

The bad: 7 million cap hit. It's only 3 more years, but that's still to high.

I'd say he has trade value. You probably need to take salary back, but not a "dump". Not many players can be traded for just futures, you need some salary balance in a deal. But you'd find other teams interested, for sure.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
JVR @ $1M retained for Gardiner? Both have 3 years remaining. Gardiner cap hit is $4M, so the Flyers would save $2M per year.

Were already not playing Ghost - though admittedly, that because AV is an idiot - so Gardiner would just be a more expensive addition to the press box.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What about Niederreiter?

He’s got $5.25M x 2 left, so I’d think the Canes would ask for some retention or an extra asset since JVR’s deal has that extra year and a higher cap hit.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My thought was something like JVR to Arizona for Grabner and Raanta, with picks each way to make up an appropriately balanced deal. For ARZ, that gives them a solid net front presence on the PP and LW, from afar it looks like Kuemper's their #1, so that lets them acquire a more reasonably priced 2G, and Grabner + Raanta is about the same money out as JVR coming in; he's just got more term than the two of them. Also, there's something amusing to the thought of JVR and Kessel on the same line together; maybe that's just me. For Philly, we can let Elliott go and still have a reasonable backup, Raanta comes off the books in time for Hart's next contract, Grabner's a very serviceable winger for next season, though I don't foresee any more 20 goal seasons, then he comes off the books, freeing up money that can go to the Sanheim contract.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Well COVID has changed everything. A lot of teams can't spend like normal. So that affects trade value. A cap hit like his is a bigger problem than it would normally be. I'll get to that. But I don't think he's worthless.

The good: Hes 31, which isn't that old. And he's a pretty constant 20-30 goal guy. A solid 2nd line winger, who tends to click well with most any linemates. He's as close as some teams will get to a "power forward", since he's got some size and goes to the net. He's a kind of player a coach likes, but a fantasy pool doesn't.

The bad: 7 million cap hit. It's only 3 more years, but that's still to high.

I'd say he has trade value. You probably need to take salary back, but not a "dump". Not many players can be traded for just futures, you need some salary balance in a deal. But you'd find other teams interested, for sure.

I can't believe the direction this post went after the bolded, I really thought you were gearing up to a "f*** no", which would've been the correct answer.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017

If would have been nice to get an asset(s) for these guys before they walked in FA, but man, does it ever feel good for those contracts not to be the leafs problem to deal with...

Reactions: Ciao

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What about Niederreiter?

He’s got $5.25M x 2 left, so I’d think the Canes would ask for some retention or an extra asset since JVR’s deal has that extra year and a higher cap hit.

I'd be good with JVR for Niederreiter straight up. Philly saves some cap and a year. Carolina pays $1.75 million more + an extra year in hopes that he clicks with Aho or Trocheck.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Title says it all. IMO he does not. He's basically our new MacDonald - just gotta wait out the contract. But I had to ask to see if other fan bases see value in the player.
Gimme a break lol! Have you seen MacDonald play.
That’s a bad take IMO.
JVR wasn’t starfishing in the NZ or defensive zone like MacDonald used too, I didn’t see JVR falling all over the place while the opposing team blew by him for a goal.

Sure JVR only scored twice in the playoffs at around 14.20 ATOI,
Hayes had over 4 minutes more ATOI in the playoffs that says something.
JVR’s play dipped because of the way he was deployed by AV and the staff in the playoffs.
JVR only had one less point then Hayes in the regular season but I don’t see anyone calling for Hayes to be traded or saying Hayes doesn’t have value.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd be interested from a Montreal perspective, but I have no idea what a deal might look like.

Maybe something around Byron?

Montreal gets more size and greater goal scoring ability, Philly saves 3.6 mil against the cap, gets (when healthy) more speed and two-way play.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I can't believe the direction this post went after the bolded, I really thought you were gearing up to a "f*** no", which would've been the correct answer.

Well the COVID caveat is like when you give a friend advice and end with "I don't know, though." It just saves me from being held responsible if I'm wrong.

But I do believe he has more value than none. The Niederreiter suggestion above is a good one. Some team would conceivably pay something for JVR. Just not a ton of futures.

JVR isn't in cap dump territory. If he were a UFA a bunch of teams would be thrilled to add him on a 3 year deal. Just not as high as 7 million per. So adjust accordingly.

6' 3" players who can score 30 goals aren't always easy to come by. He's 31 and his contract only takes him to 34, it's not an anchor.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Negative value at his contract.

with retention he holds value. But slim. think mid round pick.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Negative value at his contract.

with retention he holds value. But slim. think mid round pick.
40 points in only 66 games is negative value. :huh:
At almost 2 minutes less average time on ice then JVR played the season before.
Most of JVR’s ice time went to Alain Vigneault’s style of coaching.

AV would rather roll 4 lines evenly in any situation rather then play scorers like JVR late in games, that equals lost ice time.
JVR’s power play usage also was down from the season prior.

Reactions: qqaz

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
40 points in only 66 games is negative value. :huh:
At almost 2 minutes less average time on ice then JVR played the season before.
Most of JVR’s ice time went to Alain Vigneault’s style of coaching.

AV would rather roll 4 lines evenly in any situation rather then play scorers like JVR late in games, that equals lost ice time.
JVR’s power play usage also was down from the season prior.

7 million on an 81.5 cap Is a lot for JVR man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad