Does Jon Cooper make it to the end of the season?

Will Jon Cooper survive the season?

• Total voters

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Last year, the Lightning had 20 losses total over the 82 game season en route to a President's Trophy, and a notorious first round sweep.

This year, they have 9 losses through 18 games and are on the outside looking in for playoff positioning, playing some thoroughly uninspired hockey.

Cooper has won a President's Trophy, made the ECF 3x, SCF 1x, has found success in both the playoffs and regular season, and is the longest tenured coach in the NLH - but can't seem to win it all with a loaded roster.

Simple question - does Jon Cooper make it through the season with his job? Should he?

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
He’ll last I’m the end of the season. I know Yzerman (in his advisory role) wanted to get Quinville last year but JBB decided to extend Cooper.

Wish they stuck to the Yzerplan :(

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Everyone in our organization is completely in love with him. Unless we lose 50 games in a row he isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: bh53

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016

First I've heard of this

It was a Tampa thing.

Originally, Yzerman was going to wait for Cooper’s contract to expire after the season / playoffs and see how they performed. He had Quenville waiting after he got fired from Chicago and was going to sign him.

JBB didn’t want his friend to be left out to dry (Cooper) and gave him an extension before the season ended. 2 days after that was signed, Quenville signed with Florida.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's a good coach not sure why you'd fire him. Tough to win when your best players are under performing to start the year. Vasi hid a lot of defensive warts on this team last year and signing Kevin Shattenkirk definitely didn't fix those.

With that being said, too much talent for them to miss the playoffs. I see a hot streak coming soon.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he only goes if they're still floundering around the 40-50 game mark. I'm assuming after the playoff loss that the players are having trouble getting up for another long season, as they feel they've already proved themselves there, and they'll pick it up eventually and make the playoffs with relative ease. If they continue to struggle though, it might force Brisebois's hand as missing the playoffs would be brutal for where the team is at.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It was a Tampa thing.

Originally, Yzerman was going to wait for Cooper’s contract to expire after the season / playoffs and see how they performed. He had Quenville waiting after he got fired from Chicago and was going to sign him.

JBB didn’t want his friend to be left out to dry (Cooper) and gave him an extension before the season ended. 2 days after that was signed, Quenville signed with Florida.
(citation needed)

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Whether or not the Lightning suck, he'll be there longer than most would expect him to be. I can see him being there at least by 2030, maybe even much longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad