OT: Does it bother you that Rogers/Bell own the Leafs?

Feb 24, 2004
The impact of new ownership on media autonomy

After watching softball after softball get lobbed at the press conference today, and hearing Anselmi's "joke" how everyone in the media works for Bell/Rogers anyways, I thought it was at least worth the discussion if media autonomy going forward is something to seriously be concerned about.

As an aside - Bob McCown was phenomenal with Anselmi on PTS today. Actual questions that people were wondering about - I guess bob's popularity means he doesn't really care about what he says

Apr 1, 2010
IT would suck if TSN an SN staffers start to *****foot around just because these media giants own the team.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
TSN and Sportsnet both spent a lot of time over the past 12 hours ripping MLSE for everything from the timing of this move to the hiring of Nonis.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I ask this because of a comment Tom Anselmi made in the press conference yesterday concerning the coverage of the Leafs in the press.

Almost all of the coverage to do with the Leafs is done by companies or divisions of Rogers and Bell...save for TorStar and some very small timers.

Since Rogers and Bell now OWN the Leafs...does this not concern you that the media is being improperly used to convey what is truly going on with the team you so love and support?

Does this not concern you at all...that a reporter or journalist with an opinion that...say....the Leafs absolutely stink....will risk losing their job and livelihood because of this very real fact?

Does this not concern you at all....that the public is being fed inaccurate, censored, filtered, and otherwise indoctrinated "information", Fox News style?

What do you think about this?

Is HFboards the last free-standing source for unfiltered information left for us Leafs fans?

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
There are many other media outlets that will provide information pertaining to the Leafs, it just means it likely won't be local.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
There are many other media outlets that will provide information pertaining to the Leafs, it just means it likely won't be local.

The truth of the matter is that the vast majority don't tune into HFboards.com or Pension PLan Puppets or Puck Daddy for "information" on the Leafs.

The truth is that they more frequently tune into the television screen and morning paper for their "information". And by more frequently, I mean VASTLY.

A Leafs board member or shareholder does not differentiate between a knowledgable Leafs fan and an ignorant one.

A Leafs board member realizes that he/she can exact more money from an ignorant one.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Aren't the media organizations in Toronto the most scathing and critical of their teams? I don't think Rogers and Bell owning the Maple Leafs would affect the critical objectivism of the media masses in Toronto. All Bell and Rogers has to do is ensure that they ice a completely competitive team - a tall order in itself.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
TorStar is the biggest circulation paper in Canada.
Bell/Rogers do not own the CBC.
Nor do they own the Sun, who put a lot of emphasis on sports.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

the sun really don't have much say aside from day to day talk, in toronto sun's head guy is simmons who not many like. in ottawa it's garrioch same story yet again. The others can be talked differently about.

As far as the Rogers/Bell thing, no but I don't like them having their hands in team meddling.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Have you noticed that the most critical of voices of the Leafs are those that are outside the Rogers/Bell dynasty and not within it?

HNIC (Cherry/Mclean) - CBC
DiManno/Feschuk - TorStar
Simmons - SunMedia

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Too soon to tell, but it bothers me that Tannenbaum is still involved.

I was disgusted at the clip of him walking into the NY hotel for the Board of Governor meetings.

Does anyone have the video?

He basically walks past throngs of media and says:

"It was a decision made by the board.."

..and then with a rueful smile...

"I'm chairman of the board"

This was a personal decision, not a hockey related one

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I ask this because of a comment Tom Anselmi made in the press conference yesterday concerning the coverage of the Leafs in the press.

Almost all of the coverage to do with the Leafs is done by companies or divisions of Rogers and Bell...save for TorStar and some very small timers.

Since Rogers and Bell now OWN the Leafs...does this not concern you that the media is being improperly used to convey what is truly going on with the team you so love and support?

Does this not concern you at all...that a reporter or journalist with an opinion that...say....the Leafs absolutely stink....will risk losing their job and livelihood because of this very real fact?

Does this not concern you at all....that the public is being fed inaccurate, censored, filtered, and otherwise indoctrinated "information", Fox News style?

What do you think about this?

Is HFboards the last free-standing source for unfiltered information left for us Leafs fans?

Objectivity is an illusion. It's interesting you specifically point out Fox News when every major media outlet panders to it's clientele. And I'd hesitate to call HF unfiltered or free-standing, since anything posted here as far as news is concerned comes as links from other sources.

To the OP, yes, it bugs me. It feels like Standard Oil is running this team. I wish we'd get some private investors in here. I'm jealous of Nashville's ownership group -- a group of ultra rich guys who like the game. That's what we need. No more of this corporate bull****.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
To the OP, yes, it bugs me. It feels like Standard Oil is running this team. I wish we'd get some private investors in here. I'm jealous of Nashville's ownership group -- a group of ultra rich guys who like the game. That's what we need. No more of this corporate bull****.

This makes me seriously glad for the ownership of TNSE. Mark Chipman loves the game and Dave Thomson is filthy rich, but doesn't meddle in the game side of things.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
well Rogers is a pretty, how you say... dick company
overpriced piece of **** internet that always has problems

not to mention the **** plans
so i question Roger's intentions

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Objectivity is an illusion. It's interesting you specifically point out Fox News when every major media outlet panders to it's clientele. And I'd hesitate to call HF unfiltered or free-standing, since anything posted here as far as news is concerned comes as links from other sources.

Stavros anyone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad