OT: Does it bother you that Rogers/Bell own the Leafs?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Stavros anyone?

burke got fired because most experts have this current team pegged for 15th in the eastern conference .....our prospects would have been rated much higher it wed have gotten a few higher draft picks
plain and simple ....i think the new owners want a star /win or lose a true star to promote the team ....dont be surprised if u see some of burkes prized aquisitions gone soon too ....this team needs to be canada ;s team now more than ever

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
burke got fired because most experts have this current team pegged for 15th in the eastern conference .....our prospects would have been rated much higher it wed have gotten a few higher draft picks
plain and simple ....i think the new owners want a star /win or lose a true star to promote the team ....dont be surprised if u see some of burkes prized aquisitions gone soon too ....this team needs to be canada ;s team now more than ever

What does any of this have to do with Stavros?

MajorityRules*

So much for having hockey people make the decisions. With Burke it lasted 4 years. Now with Bell/Rogers, it looks like corporate people making hockey decisions. It'll be clear soon enough.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes i have neen boycotting robbers and bhell products for years and now with them owning leafs, raptors i am at a cross roads. I thought i would give them a chance thinking that they wouldn't meddle with team decisions and let people who know something about hockey do their jobs. I am afraid of the future. Now depending how terrible this and next years trade dedlines are and the direction of both Leafs and Raptors franchises in the next year or so will be my final decision in deciding if i will stop watching anything robbers / bhell related. Soon i won't be able to take a **** because bhell/robbers will own everything down to the toilet seat manfactures.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So much for having hockey people make the decisions. With Burke it lasted 4 years. Now with Bell/Rogers, it looks like corporate people making hockey decisions. It'll be clear soon enough.

It' may be a little early to make this call as the Burke decison could be a one off. But I think you may be right, and that is very concerning.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Rogers has been an excellent owner for the Jays giving them money to rebuild the biggest scouting staff and sign the most on amateur talent then any other team and finally giving them the budget to go out this offseason after building a core to the team and bring in the final touches all the while staying out of the front office decisions. The ideal owner in my opinion.

MajorityRules*

I don't follow baseball.

How long has Rogers been the owner of the Jays?
When was the last time the Jays made the playoffs?
What was their payroll during this period compared to other teams in the league?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was never a fan of them buying the Team and I like them even less after yesterday.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't follow baseball.

What was their payroll during this period compared to other teams in the league?

Rogers plan is to run the Leafs into the ground in their effort to bring back the interest in Baseball.

MajorityRules*

Was never a fan of them buying the Team and I like them even less after yesterday.

Same here. Just never felt right having 2 huge corporations having complete control over the team and the medium to which we'd have access to them.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't follow baseball.

Off the top of my head they have owned the team for about 10-15 years. They have not made the playoffs since 1993 when they won the world series and they have had a payroll in the bottom to around the 10th hight spending this year. Like the Leafs the Jays had been plagued by inept GM's until recently but now the team has a bright future both now and in 5-10 years from all the hard work in player development.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
A multimedia corporation is very motivated by success helps its content.

As if motivations of other owners can be questioned.

Your premise is that teams lose because their owners seemingly don't care about winning, I think there are only a handful of teams in any league that could be said about. Of course Ballard was one, but I think any corporate owner would have the required motivation to want to find success.

If anything too much motivation will lead to reactionary decisions when patience might have been required. But, here we are.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bell, Rogers, don't bother me at all. Tannenbaum is the guy that bothers me, he does appear to be the constant...

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As if motivations of other owners can be questioned.

Your premise is that teams lose because their owners seemingly don't care about winning, I think there are only a handful of teams in any league that could be said about. Of course Ballard was one, but I think any corporate owner would have the required motivation to want to find success.

If anything too much motivation will lead to reactionary decisions when patience might have been required. But, here we are.

wouldn't the Leafs further demise help prop up their other failing Team?

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
wouldn't the Leafs further demise help prop up their other failing Team?

This is a joke, right? Or are you actually wearing a tinfoil hat right now? Rogers just made over a half billion dollar investment into the Maple Leafs/MLSE and you think they just want to torpedo the team so the Jays can benefit? That makes absolutely no sense. And the Jays are a rising team, not falling, they don't need any help from the Leafs...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am very pleased with Bell/Rogers.

Since taking over, only since late August 2012, they've dramatically changed the culture of the Leafs by their actions for the betterment of the team and its future. IMO

I hope that from here on, they continue making winning the first priority of the Leafs, and put the business side and financial gain as the secondary goal, which was the opposite of the previous ownership group OTPP.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Off the top of my head they have owned the team for about 10-15 years. They have not made the playoffs since 1993 when they won the world series and they have had a payroll in the bottom to around the 10th hight spending this year. Like the Leafs the Jays had been plagued by inept GM's until recently but now the team has a bright future both now and in 5-10 years from all the hard work in player development.

Woodman lets stop with this Oh Rogers is a great owners for the Jays.

This is what happen this offseason with the Jays. They talked to the Marlins about Johnson and Loria was looking to make another fire sale and gut his franchise. The deal got bigger and bigger to the point where it became a blockbuster and AA was in the right spot at the right time by asking about Johnson on that particular day.

Now say the Marlins had a half decent year and competed for a playoff spot do you think they make that deal with the Jays? Hell no.

Do you then think Rogers would have given AA the green light to spend $120 on payroll and bring in a few big ticket FA. Hell NO.

So the Jays got lucky and Rogers was then forced to do it cause if not and the public found out that they had a shot at this blockbuster and was kibosh-ed by ownership over money the fans would have revolted.

To say Rogers is a good owner for the Jays is false...they haven't had no sucess since they owned them and kept them with low payroll.

Funny how the Leaf situation is pretty close to the Jays. The Jays rebuilt over a 4 year period and now with some prospects made a franchise altering deal. The Leafs after 4 years have turned the franchise around and now have some prospect depth and core guys on the main club.

Only difference is Burke was not given the change to make that franchise altering deal. George Cope the CEO of Bell wanted an AA type who is quiet in charge of the team and instead of standing up for Burke Rogers and Larry just got worn down and said do what you want.

What is going to be even funnier is when the Leafs get better it will be players Burke brought in and people will be like we know it was Burke.

I blame George Cope and the fact he could not handle Burke's personality.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
There are positives and negatives.

Positive

- After spending an absurd amount of money acquiring the organization and losing half a seasons worth of revenue to a lock-out, the owners will want to do as much as they can to get the leafs into the playoffs to gain revenue off of the extra television rights, advertising, and seat sales.

Negative

- Everything becomes about making money again and not necessarily about whats best for the team. Kind of like the JFJ era. I get a sense that they will "once again" have their hands in on everything. Hens Nonis given Executive Vice President and not President like Brian Burke.

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
Everyone whining about Bell and Rogers.. I mean come on. At least this ownership team isn't run by a bunch of teachers worried about pensions. True, Bell and Rogers are massive companies that will be worried about the bottom line. But they are also companies with MASSIVE investment in sports. They will be good owners.

Perfect scenario would be a billionaire fan like Mark Cuban, but that isn't happening. Bell/Rogers is the best a Leafs fan could hope for.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Since taking over, only since late August 2012, they've dramatically changed the culture of the Leafs by their actions for the betterment of the team and its future. IMO

I hope that from here on, they continue making winning the first priority of the Leafs, and put the business side and financial gain as the secondary goal, which was the opposite of the previous ownership group OTPP.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by dramatically changing the culture? Outside of yesterday I haven't really noticed any actions they have taken.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Seems like more of the same, a meddling group.

Dysfunction is never good and the Team will suffer for it. i can see why you'll enjoy this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad