Does IIHF lose money on no Russian and Beloarussian teams at WHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
There is always a lot of Russian fans at WHC, so there is probably a significant dent in income compared to pre-invasion tournaments. But somethings are not about money, but about morality. We don't want their blood money
At this point bringing them back would likely cause income to fall of a cliff due to various boycotts.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
There is always a lot of Russian fans at WHC, so there is probably a significant dent in income compared to pre-invasion tournaments. But somethings are not about money, but about morality. We don't want their blood money
Most Russians at the WC are ex-pats living in the country hosting. They lose absolutely nothing except some idiotic fan fights from drunken Russians thinking they're still in their motherland. And just to clarify: I'll be in Riga from Thursday on and it'll be my fifth WC in-person. So yes, I probably have a much more qualified opinion on-topic than most posters here and know absolutely how it looks like.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
At this point bringing them back would likely cause income to fall of a cliff due to various boycotts.
Probably, that is why I was careful to say "compared to pre-invasion". I don't thinl these last two Worlds have been as profitable as previous years. But in the end it doesn't matter, it is worth what ever the cost is to not support an authoritarian regime invading its neighbors

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
There were 68k civilians killed in Iraq war just according to American official data. In reality it was way above 100k. Was American team banned from IIHF tournaments? So stop please f***ing political shit. The thread is about money.

Have American and Canadian fans boycott Ovechkin who's Putin's friend? They don't, Ovechkin's jersey led all the jerseys sold during the season. If IIHF allows Russia to play and warns all so called boycotters that they can be banned from international tournaments, there won't be any boycotters. Most hockey fans and people overall just don't give a f*** for any boycotts and political matters.

And of course I mean average WHCs like they used to be before pandemia and everything. IIHF isn't FIFA, it needs all the money it can get. And as to sponsors, it's bullshit. Just Gazprom can pay more money to the organization than all those sponsors combined.
Ah, Russian whataboutism again. We're not bad, the others did bad things. Stay classy as always, Russia.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Canada v USA Gold medal game incoming. Gotta love it. IIHF tournaments have never been more interesting.

opps. sorry wrong thread. my bad. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Canada v USA Gold medal game incoming. Gotta love it. IIHF tournaments have never been more interesting.

opps. sorry wrong thread. my bad. :sarcasm:
On, another board I used to belong to, when threads went awry, someone would just start posting their favourite soup recipes. I like soup when I watch the world hockey championships

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Approaching this just from the IIHF's perspective is too narrow a view. One also has to consider the national federations. As despite all the talk about morals, this is a monetary issue for them too.

If the IIHF member federations that are most heavily pushing back against the inclusion of Russia and Belarus (such as Finland, Sweden, Czechia - most European federations, in fact) were certain that most of their fans wouldn't give a crap and that they wouldn't be losing virtually all of their domestic sponsors, Russia and Belarus would be playing right now. But since they're rather certain that the opposite would be true, there is no sanction the IIHF could impose on them that would offset the risk of losing most of their income.

So, as long as there are national feds that would be hemorrhaging less money by sitting out than participating in a tournament that features Russia and Belarus (and there's a fair number of such feds), the IIHF has no choice but do the "morally right thing".

Reactions: EK47

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
There were 68k civilians killed in Iraq war just according to American official data. In reality it was way above 100k. Was American team banned from IIHF tournaments? So stop please f***ing political shit. The thread is about money.

Have American and Canadian fans boycott Ovechkin who's Putin's friend? They don't, Ovechkin's jersey led all the jerseys sold during the season. If IIHF allows Russia to play and warns all so called boycotters that they can be banned from international tournaments, there won't be any boycotters. Most hockey fans and people overall just don't give a f*** for any boycotts and political matters.

And of course I mean average WHCs like they used to be before pandemia and everything. IIHF isn't FIFA, it needs all the money it can get. And as to sponsors, it's bullshit. Just Gazprom can pay more money to the organization than all those sponsors combined.
No one cares about Russia and not a single tear was shed because of their absence.
They aren't in contention for medals, there is some humor in them failing in quarter finals to like Slovakia, but it's nothing new anymore.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt it's much unless there is a lot of Russian sponsorship for ads in Europe. Ticket sales won't change drastically and I doubt that viewership does significantly either even without some marquee games. If the consequence is that Russia being there means that Sweden/Finland/Czechs won't be there and that's only speculation, then I would imagine that the IIHF has made the correct monetary decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad