Does Fighting Deter Other Nasty Business?

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
PS: Martin isn't really a fighter.

I totally agree - The video below was posted in another thread when Matt Martin was acquired.

After watching the first 20 fights on the video I would only give Martin a clear win in three of those fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWu2q3OVtNA

He might be willing to drop the gloves but Babcock needs to tell him to only do it when absolutely necessary!

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You clearly haven't watched any hockey from the '70s. Fighting was rampant and so was stickwork. Go youtube some Broad Street Bullies videos.

And Gordie Howe was a vicious bugger during eras when fighting was rampant.

How would you compare the treatment Crosby gets to what Gretzky got?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I definitely think so. I mean just compare the season we had Orr-Mclaren-Fraser to the last few seasons... there are a lot more players running our goalies, starting scrums, etc. 14-15 was especially bad to watch. Players definitely tone it down a bit against teams with tough guys. That won't necessarily stop something like headshots though. The game just moves so fast and often these types of hits are a matter of inches. But I don't know how anyone could have watched the Leafs and not seen a huge difference in how teams played against us in 2013 vs 2015 or 2016. And there were a lot more tough guys and dirty players in 2013 than there are now as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hockey is a reactionary game.....

If you go after my star players I go after your star players. Dirty hit is met with an immediate reaction.

Does having a player who is going to hold a team accountable help....100% it helps. Look at the Marlies in the playoffs last year...we had no one to keep our opponents accountable and it showed in the results.

If a dirty player will not accept his punishment you inflict damage on the star players of his team. Far to many on here miss the point ....Players take liberties more often when their opponents do not have a response.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Last edited:

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Fighting legitimately did deter nasty business for much of hockey history in my opinion, but in 2016 where we have dozens of HD cameras at every game, slow-mo instant replay, hundreds of thousands of social media referees, players can't really get away with anything. There was a long stretch of time where they could get away with a lot of nastiness behind the play if they didn't have to answer the bell for their actions.
REally? You think that all the fighting that took place in the '70's with the Broad Street Bullies and the big, bad Bruins, etc, stopped guys like Clarke or Linesman etc from sticking, jabbing, slashing?
I feel it encouraged the weasels because it made them feel safe to jab a guy and then skate and hide behind Schultz, Kelly, Cashman or some other goon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad