Does EP stay?

Does he?

• Total voters

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
A pro if he leaves is that we are instantly going to be rebuilding. We will be retooling the retool.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurn

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Front load the living bejesus out of SB’s like Marner or Tavares

if he doesn’t accept it this offseason then Trade him.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Voted 'yes, but with some reservations. His relationship with the Sedins; the fact that one his countrymen is the GM; and his almost Zen-like connection with Canucks fans; are all reasons why he stays.

What do you mean by this.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Closest comparable I can see is Pastrnak. He signed for 8 years x 11.25mil. Pettersson is a bit different in the sense that he has two years of RFA status left, so I don’t know, maybe a bit less? Maybe 8x11?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Closest comparable I can see is Pastrnak. He signed for 8 years x 11.25mil. Pettersson is a bit different in the sense that he has two years of RFA status left, so I don’t know, maybe a bit less? Maybe 8x11?
I doubt it will be less just because of the additional taxes paid in BC vs Boston.

If I were EP, I would flat out refuse to sign until next season is over. There is a small chance he has a poor season or gets injured. But I would bet on him increasing his value by having another monster year.

Also gives him self a year to assess where the team is headed. Another year without playoffs and no meaningful ways to improve should make the decision pretty easy.

Reactions: tyhee and Gurn

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
The answer is we don't know. And in fact, the answer probably is EP doesn't know for sure. If I was in his position I wouldn't decide until the last moment I needed to decide. But he probably is leaning one way or the other. We just have no insight into his feelings.

Putting on the detective hat, we can say what we know
- Vancouver is a pretty nice city to live if you are wealthy. Probably one of the nicest overall
- The team has a decent amount of high end talent to play with
- They have underperformed drastically for a while, and the depth of the team has been fairly weak and absurdly overpriced... but cap issues probably are outside a players care-meter
- The coaching seems to have been pretty poor for years. However, this looks like the best coaching staff they've had in forever, and the tiny snippets we see from the team seem to reflect that... the players seem to be buying in
- I don't know if players are very cognizant of this, but the management has been overhauled
- Still a meddlesome owner who seems to want to do things his way, probably interfering
- Pettersson has been able to crack 100 points with this team (I assume he could do so with any team, but it's not a guarantee)
- He has seemed to have changing levels of motivation to the team, or perhaps to the game itself, which are reflected in the scoring droughts he has had ... which is probably why he hasn't hit 70 points until this year ... although these periods could easily be explained by injuries, as far as we know
- He has at least one winger who appears to be able to think the game at as high a level as himself
- He seems to care very much about winning. He's won at every level he's played up until the NHL
- He's made some comments that indicate he wants to have the chance to win here if he signs long term

All told, Vancouver is a pretty good situation for a young millionaire athlete. People will argue over what position the team is in. Most will probably say the team is going to be bad next year. I am on record saying the opposite, I think the team will do well next year. I think it's a good situation for Pettersson, as long as the team shows signs of improvement. You never know what someone is thinking, but I'd say there's a good chance Petey would be willing to re-sign. As an example, Kuzmenko had a choice of 32 teams to sign with.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All told, Vancouver is a pretty good situation for a young millionaire athlete. People will argue over what position the team is in. Most will probably say the team is going to be bad next year. I am on record saying the opposite, I think the team will do well next year. I think it's a good situation for Pettersson, as long as the team shows signs of improvement. You never know what someone is thinking, but I'd say there's a good chance Petey would be willing to re-sign. As an example, Kuzmenko had a choice of 32 teams to sign with.
The problem, I have is that management has had the same view the past few seasons and it has been the wrong assessment with what has transpired on the ice. Who is taking ownership for that? Where does the blame lie? Must get tiring for the players who are competitive to keep losing. As well lost out on your limited opportunities to contend for the Cup in your prime years.

President, GM, AGM, HC, Assistant coaches, medical staff have turned over, and even some players as well. To me, the proof has to be in the pudding. Petey does not have to extend this summer, as he is still under contract for 23-24. He can always pull a Tkachuck and basically get Vancouver to sign him for 8 years then get flipped to another team immediately in 2024. Always has that in his back pocket.

Canucks is a way are kind of like where FLA was between the time Tallon was canned to Zito arriving, with the likes of Barkov, Ekblad, Hub on the roster. With Barkov being the first to be up for UFA. The year before his deal was was expiring, Zito managed to make some key moves to turn the roster around and they were one of the better clubs that season. Ultimately, led to Barkov going max term with FLA. But, that second last year of his contract, was a big one for FLA to turn it around and they managed to do it. Can Vancouver?

Reactions: LemonSauceD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he stays.
Signing doesn’t guarantee the player stays long term. Just makes a break up with the team uglier with the fans than say a Trouba or Tkachuk or PLD this summer who leave with a year left before ufa and don’t wish to sign for term with the club.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Signing doesn’t guarantee the player stays long term. Just makes a break up with the team uglier with the fans than say a Trouba or Tkachuk or PLD this summer who leave with a year left before ufa and don’t wish to sign for term with the club.

True. I don't know how long he'll sign for - he might go mid-term to leave himself a spot to exit out of in case the franchise doesn't continue to improve. But I think he inks for at least 4-5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad