Does EP stay?

Does he?

• Total voters

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
If the team takes it seriously he will. If he leaves you honestly need to find a different team until fatchequeo aquilini is drawn and quartered

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He stays without a doubt in my opinion. He just wants to win and who doesn't otherwise he loves it here apparently. This off season will be one of the most important for Canucks recently as they really need to hit it out of the park with the cap and depth positions. Stick handling through Jimbo's blunders is gonna be an exhausting task. Hopefully Allvin and Co come out of it on top.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He shouldn’t given how the last 3 seasons have gone for the team.

Why is it that the management’s assessment of the quality of the team never matches the results on the ice?

He should get that answer from management. What would their answer be?

If it’s the coach that’s on management to hire the right person. Trades, on management. Same with free agent signings.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
He stays without a doubt in my opinion. He just wants to win and who doesn't otherwise he loves it here apparently. This off season will be one of the most important for Canucks recently as they really need to hit it out of the park with the cap and depth positions. Stick handling through Jimbo's blunders is gonna be an exhausting task. Hopefully Allvin and Co come out of it on top.
Sounds like you have doubts.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i won't pretend to know pettersson's mind but i doubt it's as simple as winning = staying, losing = leaving

if i had to guess he leaves based on his lukewarm public statements, his relationships with teammates and the canucks management performance over his career. maybe he just wants to get paid though and the cost of taking his qualifying offer and giving up the 8th year is enough to keep him here

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think for a player of his calibre to stick around, three things come to mind:

1) How well the team is doing/projecting?
- Team's been nothing but a pile of hot shit for almost a decade. JEB mumbled bumbled and stumbled like a village idiot, overdosed with heroin and Jack Daniels on a daily basis, turned an already declining franchise into an INSUFFERABLE mess. Moleman and Alv talked like big shots, but has not done enough to make the team even close to pretending to be a cup runner. It will take some divine f***ing miracles this offseason to get things to a level that will make Pete happy.

2) How much cash?
- Depending on 1 and 3, it could very well cost us something like 10-12 mil X 8 kind of deal, like Nathan Mackinnon. Also keep in mind that this is AFTER Mack got the cup, and it still took this much money to make him stay. You could say that it's a cup premium contract, but this works the other way also - Mack got the cup, he's happy that the team can get shit done, and he wants to be part of the ongoing cup window. And if we are going to sign Pete for that much, how are we gonna manage our cap?

3) How much personal and emotional connections does he have with the team/city/the people?
- This I have no clue. If he made some brothers-in-arms kind of friendship then it could help? Maybe he got that with Hughes? Here's hoping.

Some one already pointed out, Pete might just refuse to sign until he sees what the team can achieve next season, and if he chooses to do so, I'd agree with him completely. And if we lose Pete for nothing like Calgary lost Gaudreau, Alv and Moleman will be SKEWERED like Persian kababs...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think for a player of his calibre to stick around, three things come to mind:

1) How well the team is doing/projecting?
- Team's been nothing but a pile of hot shit for almost a decade. JEB mumbled bumbled and stumbled like a village idiot, overdosed with heroin and Jack Daniels on a daily basis, turned an already declining franchise into an INSUFFERABLE mess. Moleman and Alv talked like big shots, but has not done enough to make the team even close to pretending to be a cup runner. It will take some divine f***ing miracles this offseason to get things to a level that will make Pete happy.

2) How much cash?
- Depending on 1 and 3, it could very well cost us something like 10-12 mil X 8 kind of deal, like Nathan Mackinnon. Also keep in mind that this is AFTER Mack got the cup, and it still took this much money to make him stay. You could say that it's a cup premium contract, but this works the other way also - Mack got the cup, he's happy that the team can get shit done, and he wants to be part of the ongoing cup window. And if we are going to sign Pete for that much, how are we gonna manage our cap?

3) How much personal and emotional connections does he have with the team/city/the people?
- This I have no clue. If he made some brothers-in-arms kind of friendship then it could help? Maybe he got that with Hughes? Here's hoping.

Some one already pointed out, Pete might just refuse to sign until he sees what the team can achieve next season, and if he chooses to do so, I'd agree with him completely. And if we lose Pete for nothing like Calgary lost Gaudreau, Alv and Moleman will be SKEWERED like Persian kababs...

They cant lose him for nothing. Hes an RFA after next season.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
If he stays, does it take so much money the team can't have even a chance at building a winner?

How much does he get?
$10 mill per; or more?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
EP himself, and his agent have both said positive things about re signing .

So I'm optimistic.

edit: It also helps that the GM, and other top level staff speak the same language.
Tavares loves NYI. Horvat wants to play out his career in Vancouver etc. Gaudreau was wanting to win cups in Calgary in late May and a CBJ in early July.

It's smart not to burn bridges until after you have walked over them. I put little faith in public statements.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
RFA not UFA? Noted.

But if Pete decided no f*** you guys I'm not gonna let my career rot in this dump, will the only option be trading his negotiation rights for peanuts?

he could pull a tkachuk

tell the team he won't be signing an extension and is comfortable taking his qualifying offer (or electing arbitration) and playing out the year. the canucks could keep him at that point and continue to try to extend him or move him prior to the deadline but probably the best way to get maximum value at that point is to trade him prior to arbitration to a team that he will extend with. it won't be anything close to his "market value" though

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Tavares loves NYI. Horvat wants to play out his career in Vancouver etc. Gaudreau was wanting to win cups in Calgary in late May and a CBJ in early July.

It's smart not to burn bridges until after you have walked over them. I put little faith in public statements.
Fair statement...although, JT was a Torontonian, and Gaudreau is American, this played into their decisions...EP is Swedish, and Vancouver is a destination for Swedish players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted 'yes, but with some reservations. His relationship with the Sedins; the fact that one his countrymen is the GM; and his almost Zen-like connection with Canucks fans; are all reasons why he stays.

But if he goes, then the Canuck 'rebuild', which was put on hold for the last five years, would be back on in earnest. And his time with the Canucks almost wasted.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
He'd be stupid not to sign. He's looking at 80+mil, take the massive contract now- and force a trade later if that is what has to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad