Does Devon Toews is a most valuable Avs players in the first third of the season

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For a 20 game sample size, he’s probably been as good as Rantanen, but he’s not as good a player as Mikko.

confused-confused-look.gif

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Would have been stupid for Toews to do so. I think the contract both teams agreed to is fair to both sides. Being a fan of this team I wish Toews did sign longer but that's just fandom talking and not real life.

I think he accepts a 5x5/5x6 if it had been offered.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he accepts a 5x5/5x6 if it had been offered.

And then the Avs' cap situation at present becomes even more tenuous.

Can we accept, just for once, that a contract is mutually beneficial for both player and team? Avs have him at an insane discount, and the deal expires early enough for Toews to cash in later. It's a win-win. Not every great player on a contending team can be locked down long-term. That cap forces you to pick and choose.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
And then the Avs' cap situation at present becomes even more tenuous.

Can we accept, just for once, that a contract is mutually beneficial for both player and team? Avs have him at an insane discount, and the deal expires early enough for Toews to cash in later. It's a win-win. Not every great player on a contending team can be locked down long-term. That cap forces you to pick and choose.

I guess we would have had to let go of Jost or Ryan Murray..

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Makar is the best and most talented player on the Avs clearly, but Toews is the most complete package. His defensive game is as good as anyone in the league and what unrated strength he has is knocking dump-ins out of mid-air and pouncing on the counterattack. He's just so solid everywhere on the ice, reminds me of the Patrice Bergeron of defenders.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess we would have had to let go of Jost or Ryan Murray..

That wouldn’t have helped necessarily, those slots still have to be filled.

Either way, it’s kinda silly to speculate about it at this point because we have no way of knowing if he’d accept a longer term deal for more AAV. As it stands that’s a phenomenal contract. There’s nothing negative about it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
But Jost certainly didn't justify a jump to 2M.

Joe was pretty liberal/bad with the contracts he handed out. I mean Ryan Murry is getting 2M as well. Jack Johnson was Joe's best off-season move as he providing more than $750,000 worth of quality hockey at $125,000 less than what Kurtis MacDermid is making.

But to get back on track with Devon, it all depends on what he looks like and is asking for once he's able to negotiate. And as others have said the needs and depth of the team. He's been fantastic for us and I'd like to keep him but the NHL is a business and the cap stalling right as our window opened has really sucked.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But Jost certainly didn't justify a jump to 2M.

Joe was pretty liberal/bad with the contracts he handed out. I mean Ryan Murry is getting 2M as well. Jack Johnson was Joe's best off-season move as he providing more than $750,000 worth of quality hockey at $125,000 less than what Kurtis MacDermid is making.

But to get back on track with Devon, it all depends on what he looks like and is asking for once he's able to negotiate. And as others have said the needs and depth of the team. He's been fantastic for us and I'd like to keep him but the NHL is a business and the cap stalling right as our window opened has really sucked.

It’s more or less in line with market value with Jost. He was coming off a phantom breakout season and what not where he played a large part in stabilizing the lineup as the third line center. He’s since regressed badly but I don’t think that’s the most problematic contract on the roster. Not even close.

As for Toews, as others have pointed out, if not for the stalled cap, he wouldn’t be an Av in the first place. Avs can manage this cap situation but it’s going to take some tough decisions. They absolutely CANNOT go into next season with the cap hits of Jost, Compher, and Johnson still on the books.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this is the most recent thread about Toews I could find.

I was chatting with my Dad just now. He's a Habs fan but he's been watching the Avs these playoffs because of me. We were going back and forth about who he would want on the Habs between Makar and MacKinnon when it dawned on me that quite possibly the most irreplaceable player on the team is Toews. If MacKinnon is out, Rantanen can fill that role. If Makar is out, Toews, Girard or Byram can fill that role. If Toews is out, nobody can fill his role. Makar these playoffs has been close, and I believe will get there soon enough, but for now Toews is in my opinion the most valuable player on the team. I've been watching him very closely this year, and the guy always makes the right decisions. When things go wrong for him it's always bad bounces or bad luck - his intention, especially with the puck, is always the right one. There's no one I trust more in every conceivable situation.

Anyway, that's my love letter to Toews. I've become such a fan I'm changing my avatar, at least for the rest of these playoffs.

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
I mean based on his 2 years here he’s going to be in the Nurse and Jones range at minimum. I’d love for them to find a way. But fitting in Mack at ~12, Mikko at 9.25, Makar at 9, Landy at 8 with the cap going up so minimally at the moment is going to be tough. Say it goes up 85 when Toews contract expires and we sign him for 8mil. That’s 46.25mil(54% of the cap) taken up by those 5 guys. I would love for him to stay. But it’s going to be real tough to build a competitive team with that much cap taken up.
It is tough for sure but if you look at it another way, from a cost effectiveness standpoint, every dollar of that is getting players contributing at a (hopefully) high level, without the dead cap space and horrible contracts that many teams are saddled with.
In addition, if we win the cup, MacK, Toews and even Kadri might take Stanley haircuts to keep it rolling.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s not close to being as valuable to this team as MacKinnon, or Makar. Those guys are on a completely different level than Toews.

He’s a huge piece though. Fits in perfectly to Colorado’s style. He’s a legit number one defenceman.

Personally, I think he’s been more leaky in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. Toews was damn near flawless in the regular season. I don’t think he’s been quite as good in the playoffs, but he’s still been excellent.

Please resign him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'd trade Girard to sign Toews to a 8M contract when his current deal ends:
Colorado's record this season with Toews in the lineup: 51-9-6. In games without Toews: 5-10-1
Ya this is definitely happening. Toews is just too valuable to us and we can clearly win games without Girard in the playoffs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He’s not close to being as valuable to this team as MacKinnon, or Makar. Those guys are on a completely different level than Toews.

He’s a huge piece though. Fits in perfectly to Colorado’s style. He’s a legit number one defenceman.

Personally, I think he’s been more leaky in the playoffs than he was in the regular season. Toews was damn near flawless in the regular season. I don’t think he’s been quite as good in the playoffs, but he’s still been excellent.

Please resign him.
I obviously disagree, but I can't think of way to convince you so I won't bother.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He's very valuable and an amazing two-way player, but let's hope his valuation on the market doesn't get too high. He's clearly benefitting from playing next to this generation's best player at the position, maybe the entire league. I mean he's certainly a top D in the league, but if he's on another team as their clear #1D and he doesn't have a great player next to him, what's his stat line and overall contribution going to look like? And you know the Avs have this all in mind, if his price gets too high we move onto the Cale and Bo show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad