Does Devon Toews is a most valuable Avs players in the first third of the season

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Personnaly I'm so impressed by Toews at first with his calm and confidence with and without puck and his ability to adjust in key moments and to have impact on result.

Toews started season with first game 6 Nov vs CBJ. Concidence that after the same game vs Jackets and until 1 December MacKinnon was out. Since this date Toews missed 2 games 14th and 16 December where Avs beat NYR 4-2, and loss to NSH 2-5 respectivly.

Since Devon is in the squad Avs are on fire with amazing records and outstanding offence producing. With Toews on ice won 17 games from 21 and scored 6 goals and more 9 times! and 7 x7 goals!!!

When the total Avs magin win-loss in 32 games is 22-10. Without Toews at season start balance W-L was 5 - 6.

I've go through advanced Avs players stats during this season at hockey-reference.com
2021-22 Colorado Avalanche Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Toews has a better stats then Makar closely by each criteria.
To note he's only at his 4th nhl season being 27 yrs old played less than 200 games in regular season, still in full development.

Together with Makar they make without doubts top 3 Def pairing and redefine new format/skill set of elite nhl Def.

and couple observations/resume regarding other key Avs players
Makar - is a most spectacular player
Kadri - is a revelation of the year (1st round TOR pick)
Rantanen is among top 10 nhl forward during last 5 years

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Toews is the guy everyone here thinks Nuke is. When he's in the lineup everyone on the defense is right where they should be.

Imagine thinking Toews is the odd man out on D when his contract is up...

I lean more and more everyday toward Girard being that guy. It really comes down to what a 30 year old Toews looks like and how much he's asking for.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'd move Girard yesterday if it means keeping DT when his contract is up.

Beauty of it is when Toews is due Girard still has two years left on his deal. Barring a dramatic change that's a lot of value that can be traded for a forward and still keep Toews in the fold assuming they can afford the upgrade from Girard's 5 million to whatever Toews wants.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would have Makar as the Avs most valuable player so far followed by Kadri. After that I think Toews falls in with MacK and Mikko to start the year.

I think the whole, ‘he completely transformed the team when he came back’ is more like the Avs started their weak portion of the schedule, but I think he’s established himself as a top-5 player on the team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Let's not put price tags on people before they are even eligible for negotiation. And you find space for elite talent.
I mean based on his 2 years here he’s going to be in the Nurse and Jones range at minimum. I’d love for them to find a way. But fitting in Mack at ~12, Mikko at 9.25, Makar at 9, Landy at 8 with the cap going up so minimally at the moment is going to be tough. Say it goes up 85 when Toews contract expires and we sign him for 8mil. That’s 46.25mil(54% of the cap) taken up by those 5 guys. I would love for him to stay. But it’s going to be real tough to build a competitive team with that much cap taken up.

Reactions: Snow Arc

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I mean based on his 2 years here he’s going to be in the Nurse and Jones range at minimum. I’d love for them to find a way. But fitting in Mack at ~12, Mikko at 9.25, Makar at 9, Landy at 8 with the cap going up so minimally at the moment is going to be tough. Say it goes up 85 when Toews contract expires and we sign him for 8mil. That’s 46.25mil(54% of the cap) taken up by those 5 guys. I would love for him to stay. But it’s going to be real tough to build a competitive team with that much cap taken up.
It's tough yes, but you're more likely to win having the best 1st line and best 1st pairing in the league with poor 3rd pairing D, than having an elite 3rd pairing D and average top 4. Hawks won rolling 4 defensemen when they won.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would have Makar as the Avs most valuable player so far followed by Kadri. After that I think Toews falls in with MacK and Mikko to start the year.

I think the whole, ‘he completely transformed the team when he came back’ is more like the Avs started their weak portion of the schedule, but I think he’s established himself as a top-5 player on the team.

I mean he’s very clearly a top 5 guy on the team. Idk who I’d pick between him and Rantanen for 3rd on the team right now, but Toews has a very very good argument.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
It's tough yes, but you're more likely to win having the best 1st line and best 1st pairing in the league with poor 3rd pairing D, than having an elite 3rd pairing D and average top 4. Hawks won rolling 4 defensemen when they won.
And 2 of those 4 played over 30 mins a game

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This team seems super tight knit and great friends. The personalities in the locker room all seem pretty great. I wonder how much other teams are like this, and how much that plays into players signing team-friendly deals.

Reactions: SpitfireG

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I think Rantanen has somewhat quietly been a rock this season. Kadri's been really good also.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Let's not put price tags on people before they are even eligible for negotiation. And you find space for elite talent.
I agree with this however although it is a no-brainer that a team needs to find ways to keep elite talent it is not always black and white when it comes to a guy that will be turning 30 when that new very big contract starts. Also let's not forget that just like Kadri this next contract will be Toews' last chance to get big money as he was a late bloomer to start with. I won't blame to want to test the market.

In a vacuum I would keep him over Girard and Byram in a heartbeat. With that said considering our prospect depth at D I would be surprised if G is still part of this team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad