Does Demko start a game this series against the Blues?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So I've mentioned this before but the issue is that NHL head coaches are dumb and just copycat what they see. So when HOFs like Belfour/Roy/Brodeur started playing 70 games, they all assumed that their #1 goalies should be able to do the same thing. And that tapped right into a typical NHL HC's risk-averse attitude (e.g. play veterans that suck even when they keep sucking because they are more "trusted"), because often one of the goalies IS way better than the other one.

But Roy and Brodeur and Hasek actually had to break the NHL attitude that goalies were platooned.

The side effect of that transition to a heavy workload starter is that some guys just can't play more than 55-60 games effectively. So you had situations like babcock essentially burning out Andersen who came from a situation in Anaheim where he basically platooned with Hiller until the playoffs where he took over.

With a huge covid break, and a very short preseason, this is the perfect conditions to ride your starter. And Marky has a history of playing lots of games in the AHL and putting up great numbers. So his stamina wasn't in question to begin with.

Yeah of course there could be a drop-off in a back-to-back, but I also think Marky was still finding his game a bit (but IMO not as much as a lot of people thought - look at Binnington, he still hasn't figured it out) in that Game 4. Now with two games in the actual playoff over, and both the players and Marky finding his legs, I don't see the downside of riding your starter. You don't have that residual fatigue from the regular season to deal with.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
So I've mentioned this before but the issue is that NHL head coaches are dumb and just copycat what they see. So when HOFs like Belfour/Roy/Brodeur started playing 70 games, they all assumed that their #1 goalies should be able to do the same thing. And that tapped right into a typical NHL HC's risk-averse attitude (e.g. play veterans that suck even when they keep sucking because they are more "trusted"), because often one of the goalies IS way better than the other one.

But Roy and Brodeur and Hasek actually had to break the NHL attitude that goalies were platooned.

The side effect of that transition to a heavy workload starter is that some guys just can't play more than 55-60 games effectively. So you had situations like babcock essentially burning out Andersen who came from a situation in Anaheim where he basically platooned with Hiller until the playoffs where he took over.

With a huge covid break, and a very short preseason, this is the perfect conditions to ride your starter. And Marky has a history of playing lots of games in the AHL and putting up great numbers. So his stamina wasn't in question to begin with.

Yeah of course there could be a drop-off in a back-to-back, but I also think Marky was still finding his game a bit (but IMO not as much as a lot of people thought - look at Binnington, he still hasn't figured it out) in that Game 4. Now with two games in the actual playoff over, and both the players and Marky finding his legs, I don't see the downside of riding your starter. You don't have that residual fatigue from the regular season to deal with.

The only way Marky sits in either game is if he shits the bed early in either one. And i'd go right back to him if he does.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Agreed. People think it’s a “risk” to go with your backup goalie, but when you have a quality backup like Demko I think it is “riskier” to play your starter in the second night of a back to back knowing that performance typically drops on on that second night.

I don't question Demko's quality, the issue I'd have with starting him is how rusty he'll be after months of not having played. That unknown vs Markstrom being tired is one I go with the latter risk, especially since Markstrom's had a break for a few months coming into the playin/playoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If Demko played game 4 of the Minnesota series do you think he would play better/comparable/worse than Markstrom did?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Game 4 is a back to back, so if we are up 3-0 for Monday's game it might be worth it to get him some rubber.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I would hope not, what a stupid thing to do. This is the Playoffs and Marky has had a 4 month break.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
If Markstrom has a bad game and the Canucks lose by an uncomfortable number of goals, then I could see Demko starting game 4.

But, if the Canucks win game 3, I bet Markstrom gets game 4. I know the concerns about having him play back to back, but the potential bonus is Markstrom getting a nice long break before the next round if the Canucks can sweep the Blues.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
No chance. We won't see Demko play again until next season. When is the expansion draft? We might not see him again in a Canucks jersey.

Don't fking jinx it.

I'd give Markstrom back to back, but on a tighter leash in Game 4. Let Markstrom know the expectations as well, so even if he gets pulled he won't lose his confidence.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Even if Markstrom has a bad game 3, I don't think Demko is going in for game 4.
He'll let Markstrom redeem himself immediately rather than let him dwell on it for another couple of days.

I really can't say what's the correct call since I haven't seen Demko play. But he's rusty, and technically unproven (in the playoffs) as well.

If I recall correctly, I don't think Demko even got a chance to play in the exhibition game?
I know some teams were switching goalies during the halfway point of the 2nd period. To me, that told me Green was going to ride Markstrom all the way, unless he's injured.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It's kinda taboo to take the crease away from a hot goalie, especially in the playoffs.

Unless Markstrom himself says he can't go, or has a real stinky stretch, it's his crease.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
If it goes to 3-0 in games then Demko should get a chance to shake the rust and get a debut in the play-offs. It is not likely that the team, then, will lose 4 games in a row and it is good to have the back-up ready come another series.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Every team plays a back-to-back... it’s just part it the return to play schedule. A bit squished to finish this season in a timely manner. It is what it is. At least everyone has to deal with them.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's kinda taboo to take the crease away from a hot goalie, especially in the playoffs.

Unless Markstrom himself says he can't go, or has a real stinky stretch, it's his crease.

In 2015 Green rode Marky like a rented mule. He played every minute of the 23 games except for the 3rd period of game 2 vs Grand Rapids in the Conference Finals. He gave up 4 goals on 16 shots through 2 periods and the Comets trailed 4-0. He was yanked for the 3rd and replaced by Joacim Eriksson who stopped the only 2 shots he faced as the Comets controlled the 3rd, but could only beat Tom McCollum for 2 goals in the 4-2 loss. However, he came back with a vengeance stopping 40 of 41 shots in the next game foe a 2-1 Comets win.

First round went all 5 games including 2 OTs and 1 double OT. Utica won 2 of the 3.
Second round went al 7 games including 1 OT and 1 4OTs. Utica won hem both.
Third round went 6 with 1 going to OT.
Cup Finals only went 5 with 2 going to OT and Utica lost 4 games to 1.

Western Conference quarterfinals vs Chicago Wolves.
Markstrom 121/132 - 11 GA Jordan Binnington 182/194 - 12 GA. Jordan was brilliant
Comets take the series 3-2

Western Conference Semi-finals vs Oklahoma City Barons
Markstrom 211/225 - 15 GA Richard Bachman 256/270 14 GA
After a terrible 6 goals on 23 shots 7-4 loss in game 4, Marky came back with 33/34 night to lead the Comets to a 3-1 victory (3rd goal an empty netter).
He pitched a 35 save shutout in a 1-0 victory in game 7.
Bachman nearly stole the series for the Barons with 56/57 in a double OT 2-1 victory. He pitched a 39/40 game in the game 7 1-0 loss.
Comets take the series 4-3.

Western Conference Finals vs Grand Rapids Griffins
Markstrom 152/163 - 11 GA Tom McCollum 161/175
Pitched a shutout in the 2-0 clinching 6th game. Comets 2nd goal was an empty netter. McCollum had an equally impressive 27/28 night.
Comets take the series 4-2

Calder Cup Finals vs Manchester Monarchs
Markstrom 147/162 - 15 GA Jean-Francois Berube 66/71 - 5 GA. He was injured 7:51 into the game. He was very capably replaced by Patrik Bartosak 80/86 - 6 GA.
Monarchs take the Cup 4-1.

Marky was simply splendid.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Blues can come back and beat us even if they are down 3-0. We simply cannot take our foot off the gas with this team. While I’m optimistic and confident with our team, the Blues are not to be taken lightly. Do not disrespect them by starting your back up goalie, they may rally around that.

If they start Allen is VAN going to rally around that?

Coaching scared and coaching to the highest probability of a win are two different things. I have no issue starting Demko in the back to back. The percentage drop in wins for goalies in back to backs is well known.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I have been his biggest critic and can say with all honesty that he has played pretty much perfectly, possibly the very best hockey of his career. Changing goalies at this point would be suicidal. Watch him do it anyways...

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
All games are being played at 1 location to top it off, I don’t see why he would need that extra day off

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It has been said that the game was different during the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek era. Roy isn't used to playing 70 games and Brodeur spent many seasons not facing a ton of quality shots. Most retired goalies seem to think the game was less taxing to the body back in teh day.

I think it's also important to point out that Marky isn't travelling. I think Patrick Roy, the coach, thought that was the difference. Logically it makes sense. You have guys like Kevin Woodley talking about how Marky's game declines when he isn't given a chance to rest and work on his game with Clark. Now I understand that in a back to back situation Marky isn't given a day off to work on his game with Clark but overall he hasn't had to finish a game, fly to the next destination, and play another game. And this is the playoffs after resting for months so mentally Marky may be closer to being dialed in than exhausted.

Personally, I was thinking that had the Canucks won last game they could play Demko and give him a chance in case we need him later. Now, I think that might be a bit of a risk to play Demko in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad