Does Demko start a game this series against the Blues?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
We play back to back on Sunday and Monday. I'm presuming that Markstrom starts on Sunday, and there are only two possible outcomes after that game: we're either up 3-0 or the series is 2-1.

In the 3-0 scenario, we have a chance to eliminate the Blues on Monday. I don't see Green giving a start to Demko in that case.

In the 2-1 scenario, the Blues have a chance to tie the series. With so much being on the line, I don't see Green giving a start to Demko in that case.

That being said, asking Markstrom to play yet another back to back is a lot. We saw how poor he was the last time. Demko logically should be starting one of these next two games, yet I can't imagine a scenario where Green would actually start him.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I don't think he will even though I think it would be the right move. Would be a very hard call to make but last series when Marky played back to back he was obviously horrible. If he plays great or solid again Sunday it's gonna be real hard to put him on the bench for Monday unless we have a 3-0 - then i might see it.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If he didn’t have a 4 month break I would be comfortable with it but it’s been too long since he has played and going in cold I don’t think is the best idea.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No chance. We won't see Demko play again until next season. When is the expansion draft? We might not see him again in a Canucks jersey.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Markstrom looked off and probably played his worst game in a while in the last back to back he played in against Minnesota.

I can think of reasons why regardless of how game 3 goes that Green stays with Markstrom though.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
No chance. We won't see Demko play again until next season. When is the expansion draft? We might not see him again in a Canucks jersey.

They'll play another season before the expansion draft.

Reactions: MikeK

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The Blues can come back and beat us even if they are down 3-0. We simply cannot take our foot off the gas with this team. While I’m optimistic and confident with our team, the Blues are not to be taken lightly. Do not disrespect them by starting your back up goalie, they may rally around that.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Worry about it when we get there, also being up 3-0 or 2-1 may factor in.

I think either way green would go Markstrom. 2-1 gotta ride Markstrom to stop them from tying it up. 3-0 gotta give it to Markstrom so he can have the shot to close out the series.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think either way green would go Markstrom. 2-1 gotta ride Markstrom to stop them from tying it up. 3-0 gotta give it to Markstrom so he can have the shot to close out the series.
I would do the same.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If this was the end of a long season and a normal spring, you might think about Demko for the back half of the back-to-backs on Monday. But Markstrom has played exactly six games in the last four months. So no, he's carry the net for the rest of the playoffs, barring injury or a major slippage in his play.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
It's just trash in my opinion that there are back to backs in the playoffs. Even without travel, it's still garbage.

That being said, I would rather not risk playing him. Just clean up the series fast if possible and then get rest before the next round.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
It would be the smart thing to do but they won’t do it

That's the thing. Posts about ride Markstrom till he falters, or has a bad game etc, make me think if everyone forgot about game 4 against the Wild.

That's proof right there that of a back to back not going well. (And that was even more time between games then a usual back to back, game 3 vs the wild was an early game, then game 4 was the late game.)

But I still think Green looks at that as a one off and goes with Markstrom regardless of how the next game goes.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I am questioning the schedule here. Why is there back to back in the playoffs?

I agree it’s a bad decision. It will just lead to worse quality of play. And what if one, or even both, of those games go to overtime? The product would almost certainly be horrendous.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think Marky goes till he fails. Heck, he should have been pulled for the third period in the last Minny game, but Green stayed with him.

On the other side of the ice I think it is a perfect time for the Blues to start Allen. They can say it is because of the back to back, when really it is because Binnington hasn’t been getting it done. If Allen wins he stays in, if he loses you can rotate back to Binnington for game 4.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That's the thing. Posts about ride Markstrom till he falters, or has a bad game etc, make me think if everyone forgot about game 4 against the Wild.

That's proof right there that of a back to back not going well. (And that was even more time between games then a usual back to back, game 3 vs the wild was an early game, then game 4 was the late game.)

But I still think Green looks at that as a one off and goes with Markstrom regardless of how the next game goes.

Agreed. People think it’s a “risk” to go with your backup goalie, but when you have a quality backup like Demko I think it is “riskier” to play your starter in the second night of a back to back knowing that performance typically drops on on that second night.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad