Post-Game Talk: Does DeBrincat get traded in favour of Kubalik?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If the Hawks lose this series and don't win the lottery, would you be in favor of trading the 9th (?) overall pick + Seabrook + a top 5 prospect?

Kubalik is at worst now going to finish this series being PPG. Strome looks much better as well. Saad is looking like he's back to being an impact player again and his efficacy on the Toews line can't be understated.

Something major is going to have to give here. I don't think pulling the ripcord on Maatta and banking on LTIR is going to be enough.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It’s always the same pattern. Makes a wild claim, immediately shifts the claim when pushback begins, blames you for not understanding/questions your knowledge, then finally says the original claim was never actually made and gets mad for you calling out the walk back.

If you think I'm actually doubling down on Lindros I'm not btw. That was always intentional hyperbole and me thinking out loud. I always knew it was a reach.

To be honest I don't know that Dach himself knows just how good he is yet. He gets more assertive with the puck and the sky is the limit.

Time to walk away from this.

Just chirping you here, but it is kind of funny how you followed the pattern again.

Reactions: clydesdale line

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm with @BobbyJet though that you guys are selling Dach's potential short a bit.

Talking about his potential isn't a meaningful converstation IMHO. It could be anything. So when you start labeling it your excessive-optimism distracts from the joy of watching the kid play and grow. He turns into what he turns into. The talent is undeniable. Don't tarnish it with these lofty expectations and distracting conversation.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Talking about his potential isn't a meaningful converstation IMHO. It could be anything. So when you start labeling it your excessive-optimism distracts from the joy of watching the kid play and grow. He turns into what he turns into. The talent is undeniable. Don't tarnish it with these lofty expectations and distracting conversation.
They're not even lofty expectations, you guys are getting it all wrong. More a few different guys that he could possibly be.

I've been following sports long enough to know that there are zero guarantees with young athletes. It's going to be fun to find out what kind of player Dach becomes, and that is and always was my point.

The reason why I gave multiple names to begin with is that player development is a spectrum and he could go in any of those directions.

All of the names thrown out in this thread from Spezza/Scheifele/Thornton/ Kopitar/Getzlaf/Malkin are all possibilities and all valid career paths for Dach. It's going to be interesting to see which one he aligns with in a few years.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They're not even lofty expectations, you guys are getting it all wrong. More a few different guys that he could possibly be.

I've been following sports long enough to know that there are zero guarantees with young athletes. It's going to be fun to find out what kind of player Dach becomes, and that is and always was my point.
The reason why I gave multiple names to begin with is that player development is a spectrum and he could go in any of those directions.

All of the names thrown out in this thread from Spezza/Scheifele/Thornton/ Kopitar/Getzlaf/Malkin are all possibilities and all valid.

The range of talent level and playing style of any two of those guys listed is too different to be relevant. It’s all im trying to say. His potential doesn’t matter. It’s assumed he has high potential due to his draft selection spot so it’s an irrelevant conversation.

He doesn’t need to be compared to those guys so trying to squeeze a label on him ruins the enjoyment of watching him. At least for me.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The range of talent level and playing style of any two of those guys listed is too different to be relevant. It’s all I'm trying to say. His potential doesn’t matter. It’s assumed he has high potential due to his draft selection spot so it’s an irrelevant conversation.

He doesn’t need to be compared to those guys so trying to squeeze a label on him ruins the enjoyment of watching him. At least for me.
That's fair enough......Let's just watch the kid grow up and hopefully he'll be great.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
The Cat seems to have to play with Kane or he's probably just average. Strome is replaceable. Saad has maxed out and I wouldn't give him more than a million more. It's all about optimizing support value. I don't see anything in Kubalik's game that looks "flukey" and given his size you would have to take him over the cat in a New York minute.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Saad can be replaced rather easily as long as Toews and Kubalik keep doin their thing. I’m sure you can try Suter/Caggiula/Sikura in that spot next season and that line won’t miss a beat.

Retaining Strome is infinitely more important than retaining Saad. Centers >> wingers. Depth down the middle is very hard to come by.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The Cat seems to have to play with Kane or he's probably just average. Strome is replaceable. Saad has maxed out and I wouldn't give him more than a million more. It's all about optimizing support value. I don't see anything in Kubalik's game that looks "flukey" and given his size you would have to take him over the cat in a New York minute.

How is Strome replaceable? If Dach moves up to 2C then who is 3C? The entire lineup/forward depth will take a major step backwards if we don’t keep Strome. Can’t overstate how important the center depth is.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Saad can be replaced rather easily as long as Toews and Kubalik keep doin their thing. I’m sure you can try Suter/Caggiula/Sikura in that spot next season and that line won’t miss a beat.

Retaining Strome is infinitely more important than retaining Saad. Centers >> wingers. Depth down the middle is very hard to come by.

:naughty::loony:

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

sikura doesn’t have a AHL shot let alone a nhl shot. Dude can be a Tyler Motte at this point.

Caggiula is a fine bottom 6 guy but a dependable top line guy you probably stink

suter is basically a huge question mark at this point. To pencil him into a top 6 role is immediately is really not ideal

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

I know right!! What an absolutely psychotic thing to say! How can anyone think such a thing?? It’s blasphemy. There’s no way you’re ever gonna plug another winger other than Brandon Saad next to Kubalik and Toews and have that line still be successful. Just no way.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
sikura doesn’t have a AHL shot let alone a nhl shot. Dude can be a Tyler Motte at this point.

Caggiula is a fine bottom 6 guy but a dependable top line guy you probably stink

suter is basically a huge question mark at this point. To pencil him into a top 6 role is immediately is really not ideal

Yeah...cuz Saad is such a sniper. He never fails to finish scoring chances....oh wait...

Caggiula played several games with 8-19 and looked absolutely fine

Suter is definitely capable of playing that role. There are whispers from the east that he’s the next Brayden Point.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
How is Strome replaceable? If Dach moves up to 2C then who is 3C? The entire lineup/forward depth will take a major step backwards if we don’t keep Strome. Can’t overstate how important the center depth is.

I do think we will keep Strome and I think we should, having said that we have C prospects waiting in Kurashev, Entwhistle, Barratt and Wise any of which may replace Strome if he does get moved.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
More importantly...who are you getting rid of if not Saad? And who replaces that player in their role better than the options I suggested to replace Saad?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I do think we will keep Strome and I think we should, having said that we have C prospects waiting in Kurashev, Entwhistle, Barratt and Wise any of which may replace Strome if he does get moved.

Yeah but those aren’t exactly top end prospects. More likely bottom 6 players. Strome is a legit 2C with legit top end talent. There’s nobody in our system that can replace his particular set of skills....not even Liam Neeson.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah...cuz Saad is such a sniper. He never fails to finish scoring chances....oh wait...

Caggiula played several games with 8-19 and looked absolutely fine

Suter is definitely capable of playing that role. There are whispers from the east that he’s the next Brayden Point.

Come on.... don’t be ridiculous. Point is a proven 40 goal scorer at the NHL level at 22-23 YO and put up 90+ points.

Reactions: Malaka

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Suter, Kurashev, Barratt

All of these are middle six players of the potential future. I can’t read or manage to respond to the nonsense going on in this thread

Strome is definitely tradeable, and back to the topic of the thread I think Debrincat as well. I would bet we could get a great defensive piece back for him

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Come on.... don’t be ridiculous. Point is a proven 40 goal scorer at the NHL level at 22-23 YO and put up 90+ points.

I kno...I’m mocking someone else(whoever you were) that made that comparison.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
None of those prospects have his skill level or ability.

Yeah but those aren’t exactly top end prospects. More likely bottom 6 players. Strome is a legit 2C with legit top end talent. There’s nobody in our system that can replace his particular set of skills....not even Liam Neeson.

IMO Kurashev will have a better career than Strome. Kurashev has exceptional skating ability, is a complete 200 foot game, can play C or wing and is a far more well rounded C than Strome and that includes better overall offensive skills IMO, Strome is likely a better passer but that is about it.

Its like some folks have been brainwashed by Musto that Strome is all "that"....I mean he does have great passing skills and is decent offensively however he is edging close to being as slow as Handzus and he is not at all a 200 foot C.

Further more our top two C's are Toews and Dach so really Strome is nothing more than our 3rd best C although he is given the luxury of playing with 88 but it is crystal clear to me and should be to everyone including Musto that Strome is a bottom 6 C moving forward.

Not sure about Barratt cause he just finished school but he most certainly has bottom 6 C capabilities as does Wise if he gets back on track after a string of injuries which I understand he was doing and very well I might add at Boston U with Vlassic.

Entwhistle, not sure, he needs to improve his skating but he most certainly has some skill but most importantly he is smart...

Josiah Slavin is a guy to keep an eye on...

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Suter, Kurashev, Barratt

All of these are middle six players of the potential future. I can’t read or manage to respond to the nonsense going on in this thread

Strome is definitely tradeable, and back to the topic of the thread I think Debrincat as well. I would bet we could get a great defensive piece back for him

Sure Strome is tradable. But that doesn’t mean we should trade him unless it’s for another C with equal talent.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
IMO Kurashev will have a better career than Strome. Kurashev has exceptional skating ability, is a complete 200 foot game, can play C or wing and is a far more well rounded C than Strome and that includes better overall offensive skills IMO, Strome is likely a better passer but that is about it.

Its like some folks have been brainwashed by Musto that Strome is all "that"....I mean he does have great passing skills and is decent offensively however he is edging close to being as slow as Handzus and he is not at all a 200 foot C.

Further more our top two C's are Toews and Dach so really Strome is nothing more than our 3rd best C although he is given the luxury of playing with 88 but it is crystal clear to me and should be to everyone including Musto that Strome is a bottom 6 C moving forward.

Not sure about Barratt cause he just finished school but he most certainly has bottom 6 C capabilities as does Wise if he gets back on track after a string of injuries which I understand he was doing and very well I might add at Boston U with Vlassic.

Entwhistle, not sure, he needs to improve his skating but he most certainly has some skill but most importantly he is smart...

Look at Kurashev's numbers vs Strome's in the AHL. I am not close to being impacted by Musto but I am also not an idiot. Strome is a better hockey player than Kurashev. Kurashev has a potential to be good but not better than Strome.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Look at Kurashev's numbers vs Strome's in the AHL. I am not close to being impacted by Musto but I am also not an idiot. Strome is a better hockey player than Kurashev. Kurashev has a potential to be good but not better than Strome.[/QUOTE

Strome is one dimensional

Kurashev is well rounded

Time will tell

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
This is the Million Dollar Question going into the offseason… How has to go to Keep the others.

Looks like Kubalik isn't the one who priced himself out, it's the one you Keep. With Saad and Strome I'm 100% sure it'll come down to the asking Price. With Dach fast development he made Strome Kind of a luxury. Problem is, you'd still Need to replace him and going with unknown Suter or Kurashev or Barratt is not the smart offseason plan.

Reactions: Jay haller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad