Post-Game Talk: Does DeBrincat get traded in favour of Kubalik?

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Yeah...cuz Saad is such a sniper. He never fails to finish scoring chances....oh wait...

Caggiula played several games with 8-19 and looked absolutely fine

Suter is definitely capable of playing that role. There are whispers from the east that he’s the next Brayden Point.

compared to Sikura, he’s Steven freaking Stamkos.

Caggiula is basically Andrew Shaw and that’s not a bad thing but it’s not saad.

And I’ve heard from some suter is the next Steve Moses (not really but let’s pump the brakes a little on every big scoring euro I mean Marcel Hossa led the KHL one year in goals)

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
compared to Sikura, he’s Steven freaking Stamkos.

Caggiula is basically Andrew Shaw and that’s not a bad thing but it’s not saad.

And I’ve heard from some suter is the next Steve Moses (not really but let’s pump the brakes a little on every big scoring euro I mean Marcel Hossa led the KHL one year in goals)

Obviously Saad is better than Caggiula, but I think his point is Kubalik-Toews works even if you only have Caggiula on the right wing. The Kubalik-Toews-Caggiula line had good results this season.
9F965A68-E0B4-4E15-B0FE-2F98DB641D5A.jpeg

4EB5AB29-105B-4752-8E7F-1C079C750B77.jpeg

Reactions: Hawkey

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think going forward, it’s pretty clear what you try to build around:

Kubalik-Toews-x
x-Strome-Kane
DeBrincat-Dach-x
4th line

In order to make this structure work, you may need to fill in all those x’s with guys making around $1 million.

Reactions: halincandenza

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Keep the team together at all cost...Stan needs to pitch the pending RFAs/UFAs that this team is on the cusp of being a potential top team in the west again and it's worth sticking together to see what the end product looks like with a guy like Ian Mitchell joining the team and another year of development for guys like Dach and Boqvist. Figure the long term cap stuff out later...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Move Saad and anyone else you have

Debrincat should be part of core going forward for Hawks next generation. One year of struggle as a 21/22 year old is far from being justifiable reason to move him

Hawks have traded away far too much young talent as is and doing so again with Debrincat will be yet another move that will haunt Hawks

We need more players that play like Saad, not less.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Realistically what does Saad even ask for in addition to his 6m per? Maybe 1-1.5m? They should be able to make him fit if they move a guy like De Haan the following year when Saad's new deal would kick in...and honestly if there is a flat cap then he might have to re-up for 6 per on a short term deal and try again as a UFA when the cap ceiling starts to go back up...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Realistically what does Saad even ask for in addition to his 6m per? Maybe 1-1.5m? They should be able to make him fit if they move a guy like De Haan the following year when Saad's new deal would kick in...
I've been in the position I'm not sure you cant get him at a same or less deal. Especially in the wake of the cap being locked another couple years after

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Realistically what does Saad even ask for in addition to his 6m per? Maybe 1-1.5m? They should be able to make him fit if they move a guy like De Haan the following year when Saad's new deal would kick in...and honestly if there is a flat cap then he might have to re-up for 6 per on a short term deal and try again as a UFA when the cap ceiling starts to go back up...

I could really see him settle for 6M or even less. That’s what a flat cap does. It takes inflation out of the equation (sort of). And I’m not sure Saad’s camp can argue that he’s better today than when he signed his deal. He looked like a future star back then.

Reactions: Muffinalt

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
We need players like Debrincat , not less players like Debrincat as well

40 goal scoring wingers dont exactly come in abundance

I never said we didn’t need DeBrincat. We need both.... but more importantly we need DeBrincat to actually play like a 40 goal scorer again.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That’s true, but this team can’t afford them at $6 million when they have the Seabrook and Shaw hits on the books.

Kubalik and DeBrincat are more important, and you need to find a Saad-type contribution for a lower cap hit.

Saad right now is more valuable than DeBrincat has been this year and it’s not even close. Kubalik as awesome as he’s been still has to prove himself over a longer period of time.

I think the cap problems are greatly exaggerated here. It may require giving up a pick of two but there are some movable contracts in Smith, Maatta, and maybe even CdH can be moved. Crawford off the books too, it just sucks we don’t have a better goalie prospect to step in for cheap if we wanted to go down that road.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Saad right now is more valuable than DeBrincat has been this year and it’s not even close. Kubalik as awesome as he’s been still has to prove himself over a longer period of time.

I think the cap problems are greatly exaggerated here. It may require giving up a pick of two but there are some movable contracts in Smith, Maatta, and maybe even CdH can be moved. Crawford off the books too, it just sucks we don’t have a better goalie prospect to step in for cheap if we wanted to go down that road.

That’s a controversial claim, and I I’d be interested to see how the board feels about it. Maybe a good poll question.

Also, gutting your defense of multiple vets doesn’t really make you competitive next year, does it?

Also, Crawford isn’t just off the books. You need to use some of that Crawford money on a goalie. Unless you’re riding Delia as your starter.

So you’re suggesting moving Maatta, CdH, and not having a starting caliber goalie all to keep Saad?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That’s a controversial claim, and I I’d be interested to see how the board feels about it. Maybe a good poll question.

Also, gutting your defense of multiple vets doesn’t really make you competitive next year, does it?

Also, Crawford isn’t just off the books. You need to use some of that Crawford money on a goalie. Unless you’re riding Delia as your starter.

It really depends the road you want to go down but me personally I keep the forward core intact and let go of Maatta and CdH if that’s what it takes and hope Beaudin and Mitchell can step in. I’m sure as hell not losing Saad, Cat, or even Strome to keep Maatta and CdH when we have all of these defensive prospects.

Of course Crawford isn’t just off the books but you can find a reasonable alternative for 2-3M for a year if you have to. Next year might be a development year if anything.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It really depends the road you want to go down but me personally I keep the forward core intact and let go of Maatta and CdH if that’s what it takes and hope Beaudin and Mitchell can step in. I’m sure as hell not losing Saad, Cat, or even Strome to keep Maatta and CdH when we have all of these defensive prospects.

Of course Crawford isn’t just off the books but you can find a reasonable alternative for 2-3M for a year if you have to. Next year might be a development year if anything.

I don’t know, it seems risky to go with a $2-3 million goalie behind a defense with two rookies and Boqvist, and minus Maatta and CdH. Seems like a recipe to lead the league in GA, unless multiple guys surprise.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I don’t know, it seems risky to go with a $2-3 million goalie behind a defense with two rookies and Boqvist, and minus Maatta and CdH. Seems like a recipe to lead the league in GA, unless multiple guys surprise.

Given his injury history and age I can see Crawford taking a 3-for-2 or a 2-for-3 as a "ride into the sunset" deal. I could be wrong, though.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad