Does Crosby have the most diverse team and individual resume in NHL history?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He turned 19 in January. His first thirty or so games of the rookie season were very WHA-ish. Kindly ask Panther and he will hook you up with some splits.

I am having trouble seeing the relevance of when he turned 19 and when he turned it up production-wise for the season. OV was 20 his whole rookie season if that matters.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I am having trouble seeing the relevance of when he turned 19 and when he turned it up production-wise for the season. OV was 20 his whole rookie season if that matters.

Couple of days matter,let alone weeks and months. Ovi,if born 2 days earlier is drafted #1 by Pittsburgh in 2003 instead of 2004.

Gretzky, a January birthday, had the advantage of being an "Old" throughout his youth hockey days. December he would have been a "Young".

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

Gretzky, playing a whole season like he did at 18, likely loses a Calder race against the twenty-year-old Ovechkin too, even when eligible. That was my point. But not in itself.

While Gretzky was automatically out of the Calder race having played in the pros the year before and Crosby did at least got his chance, even Sid's Calder circumstance was very, very unfavorable, which has not been really pointed out.

Yeah, he lost the Calder, but he lost it to someone who should have won the year before, or, as @Canadiens1958 reminded us, two years before Sid even got the chance. Not necessarily only because Ovi was almost eligible to be drafted in 2003 but also because Sid barely made it to be drafted in 2005.

Players in their late teens evolve and mature rather rapidly, so yeah, every month makes a difference, let alone a couple of years.

EDIT: Sid should have grabbed his Calder the way Malkin did, while Malkin and Ovechkin should have battled for theirs against one another like Ovi and Sid did -- had everything gone like it was seemingly supposed to.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Gretzky, playing a whole season like he did at 18, likely loses a Calder race against the twenty-year-old Ovechkin too, even when eligible. That was my point. But not in itself.

While Gretzky was automatically out of the Calder race having played in the pros the year before and Crosby did at least got his chance, even Sid's Calder circumstance was very, very unfavorable, which has not been really pointed out.

Yeah, he lost the Calder, but he lost it to someone who should have won the year before, or, as @Canadiens1958 reminded us, two years before Sid even got the chance. Not necessarily only because Ovi was almost eligible to be drafted in 2003 but also because Sid barely made it to be drafted in 2005.

Players in their late teens evolve and mature rather rapidly, so yeah, every month makes a difference, let alone a couple of years.

EDIT: Sid should have grabbed his Calder the way Malkin did, while Malkin and Ovechkin should have battled for theirs against one another like Ovi and Sid did -- had everything gone like it was seemingly supposed to.

I think you are getting too picky with the age thing. Wayne played in what would have been his first year after being drafted. That he was 19 for part of that is just the luck of the draw. I don't view that as being an unusual circumstance like OV playing a full year after he was drafted.

Maybe if all three seasons were equal and they all played the year they were drafted, then you could say that Crosby's was a bit more impressive because he was six months younger than Wayne and almost a year younger than OV.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This Calder discussion is very strange. Crosby had a chance to win it and didn't, Gretzky didn't have a chance to win it. The circumstances are clearly different. It means basically nothing about them as players but is just a little bit of context surrounding their trophies.

Had international hockey been a realistic option, Jean Beliveau would have an even more ridiculous trophy collection. It isn't hard to imagine Howe with 5 Olympic gold medals either.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Had international hockey been a realistic option, Jean Beliveau would have an even more ridiculous trophy collection. It isn't hard to imagine Howe with 5 Olympic gold medals either.

Not sure why hypothetical scenarios need to be brought up but Howe and Belliveau certainly would be among the most diverse from the O6 era

Howe and Belliveau have all the same RS and PO scoring titles except Howe never lead the playoffs in assists. Neither won the Calder.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I wonder what kind of house Sid lives in. I'm sure there's some ways to compliment him on his house. Maybe generational paint color or the most diverse landscaping.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Sidney Crosby without a doubt has one of the most well-rounded resumes in the history of the sport. You kind of stole my argument from the other thread in making this topic - but i was thinking less in terms of trophies than just overall resume when I made my argument.

Peak, prime, career, playoffs, individual seasons, individual playoffs, international career, individual international tournament, big moments (ie golden goal), consistency, leadership, trophy count, etc...

He ranks very highly in almost any category you can think of. Even as a goal-scorer (which he is not, primarily) he has 2 rockets, which is really good.

I notice on this forum more and more posters are including him in their top 10 lists all-time. I think him having no real weaknesses in his resume is his biggest asset.

As for OP - I guess if you want to count trophies, you can. I don't necessarily put a whole lot of stock into it, since Gretzky is much, much ahead of Crosby if you actually count all of his art rosses, and harts, instead of just counting 1 of each. And by virtue of that, the answer to your question is no, since Gretzky has him beat for starters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad