Does Crosby have the most diverse team and individual resume in NHL history?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
By diverse, I mean he has won at least won of the following team or individual accolade.

Can any player top this? Maybe Wayne. I would have to look into it more.

NHL - Regular Season

Art Ross
Richard
Most assists
Hart
Lindsay
All-star
Missing - President's Trophy, Selke, Calder

NHL - Playoffs
Stanley Cup
Conn Smythe
Leading playoff scorer
Lead playoffs in assists
Lead playoffs in goals

World/Canada Cup
World Cup
Leading scorer
MVP

Olympics
Gold medal
Missing - MVP, leading scorer, top forward award, all-star

World Hockey Championships
Gold medal
Leading scorer
Top Forward
Missing - MVP

Junior
CHL Player of the year
Leading scorer
Leading scorer - playoffs
League Championship
Leading scorer in Memorial Cup
Missing - CHL championship, Memorial Cup MVP

World Juniors
Championship
Missing - Leading scorer, All-star, MVP

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan and rnhaas

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Wayne has the following:

President's Trophy
WJC's leading scorer
WJC's top forward
WJC's all-star

Wayne is missing:

Olympic Gold
CHL MVP
OHA League scoring leader
OHA League scoring leader - playoffs
OHA Championship
Memorial Cup leading scorer
WHC's Gold medal
WJC's Gold medal

Mario has the following:

President's Trophy
Calder Trophy

Mario is missing:

World Cup/CC MVP
World Cup/CC leading scorer
WHC's Gold
WHC's leading scorer
Memorial Cup leading scorer
WJC's Gold medal
WJC's leading scorer

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Sorry Diverse or not, Gretzky's trophy case makes Crosby look pedestrian and there were less diverse trophies handed out in the 80's.

if you wanted to list his achievements might as well include every single achievement as per Wiki:

Awards[edit]

Replica of the Lester B. Pearson Award presented to Gretzky in 1982–83
He won nine Hart Trophies, the NHL's most valuable player award, and eight of these were awarded in consecutive years from 1980–87. Gretzky holds the record for most MVP awards of any player in North American professional sports.
Honours[edit]

Reactions: Voight

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sorry Diverse or not, Gretzky's trophy case makes Crosby look pedestrian and there were less diverse trophies handed out in the 80's.

Thanks for your enlightening us all on Wayne's trophy case.

What trophies did Wayne not have a chance to win? I specifically limited it to team and individual accomplishments that all three had a chance to win.

Wayne notably fell short at the junior level and the Olympics.

Mario notably fell short at the World/CC Cup and the WHC's.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What awards did Crosby win that Wayne did not have a chance to win?

Olympics and WHC for starters...

Team Canada did not use current NHL players on their roster until 1998...Gretzky's final season in the league where he was 38 yrs old.

He didnt get to spend his prime playing for international titles on a stacked Team Canada the way current NHL'ers get to.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
People need to take this for what it is. It's recognition that Crosby has had success both at the team level and indivially at every level and every tournament.

That he measures up well against two of the all-time greats in this regard is pretty amazing but it doesn't mean he should be rated any closer to them.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Olympics and WHC for starters...

Team Canada did not use current NHL players on their roster until 1998...Gretzky's final season in the league where he was 38 yrs old.

He didnt get to spend his prime playing for international titles on a stacked Team Canada the way current NHL'ers get to.

Wayne played in both the Olympics and the WHC so he had a chance.

Crosby only got to play in one World Cup and one Memorial Cup but he still matched Wayne in the World/CC Cup and bettered Mario in the both the World/CC Cup and the Memorial Cup.

member 51464

The reason Crosby didn't win the Calder is because another player was better than him that year. Not exactly the same circumstances.

Anyway, I guess Crosby had a more successful OHA career than Gretzky. Good for him, I guess.
Who would the equivalent player be if the situations were the same? Maybe I recall incorrectly, but Ovechkin would've gone a year earlier had the lockout not happened, right? Safe to say Crosby would win it in his rookie year, I think.

If Gretzky had started in the NHL immediately at draft eligibility age, who would the best rookie the year before have been? ie, who would've been the 19 year old best player to compete against the 18 year old Gretzky in his rookie year in the NHL? Also WHA.

Reactions: Troubadour

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The reason Crosby didn't win the Calder is because another player was better than him that year. Not exactly the same circumstances.

Anyway, I guess Crosby had a more successful OHA career than Gretzky. Good for him, I guess.

Well as 17 year olds, Gretzky scored 182 points in 64 games in the OHA finishing 10 points behind Bobby Smith, while Sidney Crosby as a 17 year old QMJHL- different league, playing 64 games scored 168 points finishing ahead of everyone.

Different leagues and circumstances

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thanks for your enlightening us all on Wayne's trophy case.

What trophies did Wayne not have a chance to win? I specifically limited it to team and individual accomplishments that all three had a chance to win.

Wayne notably fell short at the junior level and the Olympics.

Mario notably fell short at the World/CC Cup and the WHC's.

Gretzky was only 16 when he played in his only World Junior tournament. And one could argue Sid had better team mates. The next season he would have bene eligible and he not turned pro and scored over 100 points. 17 points is pretty good I'd say.

As for the Olympics.... really? He was 37 the one and only time he was able to go to the Olympics.

He however won 3 Canada Cups which was essentially the equivalent of winning Gold, pre-NHL Olympics.

Well as 17 year olds, Gretzky scored 182 points in 64 games in the OHA finishing 10 points behind Bobby Smith, while Sidney Crosby as a 17 year old QMJHL- different league, playing 64 games scored 168 points finishing ahead of everyone.

Different leagues and circumstances

QMJHl has also historically been the weakest of the 3 CHL leagues.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It's moot point since both are missing it but you are right it is different circumstances.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
It's moot point since both are missing it but you are right it is different circumstances.

Well, @TheDevilMadeMe is only correct if we forget the lockout which was one heck of a circumstance. Had everything run smoothly for Sid, he would have never faced Ovie in the Calder race.

Btw the 2005/2006 Ovie would most likely have beaten the WHA Gretzky for the Calder as well.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Well, @TheDevilMadeMe is only correct if we forget the lockout which was one heck of a circumstance. Had everything run smoothly for Sid, he would have never faced Ovie in the Calder race.

Btw the 2005/2006 Ovie would most likely have beaten the WHA Gretzky for the Calder as well.

I believe Wayne's rookie year was 79/80 when he started the year at age 18 but was not eligible for the Calder as he was already a pro. I think Wayne would have won the Calder.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
I know why Gretzky couldn't get the Calder after his stint in the WHA. What I meant was that the 05/06 Ovie would have most likely beaten the 18-year-old Gretzky for the Calder too.

If Gretzky being ineligible was just a circumstance keeping him from winning the Calder, the 18-year-old Crosby competing for the Calder against the 20-year-old Ovie was just a circumstance as well.

Scratch the lockout and Crosby is the clear cut winner in 2005/2006, as Ovie takes his Calder in 05.

As far as I know, Gretzky did not start his 79/80 season with the same bang he finished it. It seems he indeed was a better player at 19 than he was at 18. They all are. So it all comes down to this:

The 18-year-old Gretzky very likely does not win the Calder against the 2005/2006 Ovechkin either. And Crosby having to face Ovie for the Calder was just a strange lockout consequence.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The 18-year-old Gretzky very likely does not win the Calder against the 2005/2006 Ovechkin either. And Crosby having to face Ovie for the Calder was just a strange lockout consequence.

Wayne tied for the scoring lead in his rookie year. Put him in 2005/06 and he is likely challenging Thornton and Jagr for the Art Ross while putting up 40 to 45 goals.

Let's put it this way, Wayne would have beaten Crosby for the Calder.

But the point of thread is to highlight Crosby's diverse resume, not to compete with Wayne. That Wayne is his main competition should reflect well on Crosby.

He has been elite individually and had success from a team standpoint almost to a T throughout every level. It took the "Best CHL team of all-time" to beat him in the Memorial Cup. He lacks an expected high scoring finish from the Olympics but that is tempered by scoring two iconic Gold Medal game goals, including one of the biggest in hockey history. He was asked to play a supporting role on the "Best WJC team of all-time" which likely took away his chance to finish higher in scoring.

Even before the CHL, his US prep team won the nationals and he took a Atlantic-based Midget team to the finals of the nationals for the first time ever.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Wayne tied for the scoring lead in his rookie year.

He turned 19 in January. His first thirty or so games of the rookie season were very WHA-ish. Kindly ask Panther and he will hook you up with some splits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad