Does Ceci play a game with the Leafs?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think we could see him paired with Rielly to start the season.

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

If Ceci can regain his form with a more talented supporting cast, that could become a formidable top 4.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I don't think it's a crazy idea. Of course one year of Ceci is an upgrade on five years of Zaitsev, so at worst, Ceci plays one year on our 3rd pair, and then goes off into the sun as a UFA. However, I'm sure Dubas is aware of Ceci's limited value, and would actively be open to trading him, whether before the season starts, or part of the way through the season (perhaps transitioning Liljegren/Sandin into the lineup at this point). $4.5 million is quite a lot for a defender as bad as Ceci, but there might be some GMs around the league who see value in him. With some of the boneheaded moves GMs continue to make, it wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think there's any way the Leafs are trading Kerfoot. Dubas clearly stated yesterday, they're more happy getting him then getting Barrie. I see Kerfoot as our long term 3C. And personally, I don't think you see Marner at 10 million. With the Aho offer sheet, that did nothing but help us. If Marner wants short term, 7.5 x 3 years, if he wants long term, it's 9-10 million but for 8 years.
Catching up after the weekend.
Did he actually say the bolded? Seems like a really odd comment to make.

As for Ceci, it seemed inevitable he would come here.
Great pickup, not going anywhere.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think it's a crazy idea. Of course one year of Ceci is an upgrade on five years of Zaitsev, so at worst, Ceci plays one year on our 3rd pair, and then goes off into the sun as a UFA. However, I'm sure Dubas is aware of Ceci's limited value, and would actively be open to trading him, whether before the season starts, or part of the way through the season (perhaps transitioning Liljegren/Sandin into the lineup at this point). $4.5 million is quite a lot for a defender as bad as Ceci, but there might be some GMs around the league who see value in him. With some of the boneheaded moves GMs continue to make, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's very possible that's what happens. Give Ceci a heavy loaded signing bonus contract, making his salary peanuts the rest of the season. See how he does at the start and evaluate players around him. If there's a market at some point, cut your loses and promote Liljegren or whoever else. Maybe that happens if/when Dermott is back too.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think he'll get a chance, hopefully hes not as bad as advertised. Ottawas d +/- has been pretty bad for majority of them. Karlson was -36 with ottawa as one of the best D men in the league.

The general concencus is that Zaitsev is better, but we'll see. I see him as bottom pair rd. Perhaps 2nd with Muzzin, even if Barrie maybe pairs better with Muz.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin -
Dermott - Ceci
Harbur - Holl

Means we still have an opening with Hainsey leaving. Perhaps Liljegren can snatch it, but thinking ceci will be a suitable top 4 is not a good plan. I dont think Ceci is in the long term plans anyway unless Ottawa just ruined him and hes secretly amazing...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yes.

They need someone to play hainsey/zaitsev's hard minutes, which won't be barrie.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think Ceci gets sheltered with PP time, his value shoots through the roof, and we deal him at the deadline while his value is still inflated.

He has the tools but couldn’t put it together in Ottawa. I wouldn’t doubt it that he does here.

Assuming the leafs continue the 4 forwards PP. Ceci gets 0 Pp time. Reilly on unit 1, Barrie on unit 2.

Maybe Unit 2 goes to a 2 D format but then I assume Muzzin gets the time.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think he'll get a chance, hopefully hes not as bad as advertised. Ottawas d +/- has been pretty bad for majority of them. Karlson was -36 with ottawa as one of the best D men in the league.

The general concencus is that Zaitsev is better, but we'll see. I see him as bottom pair rd. Perhaps 2nd with Muzzin, even if Barrie maybe pairs better with Muz.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin -
Dermott - Ceci
Harbur - Holl

Means we still have an opening with Hainsey leaving. Perhaps Liljegren can snatch it, but thinking ceci will be a suitable top 4 is not a good plan. I dont think Ceci is in the long term plans anyway unless Ottawa just ruined him and hes secretly amazing...

Ceci should play better with fewer minutes and a better partner. Someone like Muzzin will help stabilize him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad