Does Ceci play a game with the Leafs?

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I can't help but feel that Ceci doesn't even play a game for us. Reading into Dubas comments, he only named Muzzin and Rielly as his 2 top 4 defenseman, of course this was before acquiring Barrie but also after acquiring Ceci. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs trade Ceci with a minor addition for a more proven top 4 rhd. With Calgary looking to shed one of Hamonic or Brodie I wonder if we could still swing a deal with them.

To Toronto- Hamonic/Brodie

To Calgary- Ceci @50% and Timashov

Ceci at 50% sheds about 3 million for Calgary and we get a more proven top 4 rhd. Only negative is both Brodie and Hamonic have only 1 year remaining

Rielly-Hamonic
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Liljgren
Harpur

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I can't help but feel that Ceci doesn't even play a game for us. Reading into Dubas comments, he only named Muzzin and Rielly as his 2 top 4 defenseman, of course this was before acquiring Barrie but also after acquiring Ceci. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs trade Ceci with a minor addition for a more proven top 4 rhd. With Calgary looking to shed one of Hamonic or Brodie I wonder if we could still swing a deal with them.

To Toronto- Hamonic/Brodie

To Calgary- Ceci @50% and Timashov

Ceci at 50% sheds about 3 million for Calgary and we get a more proven top 4 rhd. Only negative is both Brodie and Hamonic have only 1 year remaining

Rielly-Hamonic
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Liljgren
Harpur

They just signed him to an extension. It's fairly certain that he stays.

Reactions: equipe

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
They just signed him to an extension. It's fairly certain that he stays.

They signed him for 1 year which is what they had to do. Either they sign him or let him walk for free. And with the current free agent market for top 4rhd, it's pretty much non existent. Signing him doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be here in my opinion

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I think Ceci gets sheltered with PP time, his value shoots through the roof, and we deal him at the deadline while his value is still inflated.

He has the tools but couldn’t put it together in Ottawa. I wouldn’t doubt it that he does here.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Ceci gets sheltered with PP time, his value shoots through the roof, and we deal him at the deadline while his value is still inflated.

He has the tools but couldn’t put it together in Ottawa. I wouldn’t doubt it that he does here.

Between Rielly, Barrie, Dermott and Muzzin, I doubt he gets any PP time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They signed him for 1 year which is what they had to do. Either they sign him or let him walk for free. And with the current free agent market for top 4rhd, it's pretty much non existent. Signing him doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be here in my opinion

I would say there is a good chance he is moved. Could recapture other costs and some cap

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Between Rielly, Barrie, Dermott and Muzzin, I doubt he gets any PP time.
I don’t think Dermott gets any PP time. Knowing Babs and the way he likes to groom his defensemen, Dermott gets no PP time until Babs is oversatisfied with his play in the D-zone I think we run with 1D on one PP then two onthe next one.
I really want to try

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Barrie - Rielly

Johnsson/Kappy - Kerfoot- Willy
Ceci/Muzzin - Johnsson/Kappy

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's more likely Kerfoot doesn't play a game with the Leafs IMO. If someone is expendable (with Spezza in the mix for cheap and an abundance of wingers + more we could bring in for cheap), it's Kerfoot.

The Leafs likely look at what he wants, how it fits in with Marner and Ceci, and then determine whether or not they can afford him. If he wants a number starting with a 4, the Leafs likely shop him to recoup some picks and use Spezza as their 3C rather than on the wing. If they can get him under 3.5, then he probably stays no matter what. Between 3.5 and 4 it depends on what the other two make, because if Ceci is making 4.5 mill (which is an overpayment but it's not like the Leafs can do anything about what an arbitrator would give him) and Marner over 10 mill, then fitting in Kerfoot is not happening.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don’t think Dermott gets any PP time. Knowing Babs and the way he likes to groom his defensemen, Dermott gets no PP time until Babs is oversatisfied with his play in the D-zone I think we run with 1D on one PP then two onthe next one.
I really want to try

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Barrie - Rielly

Johnsson/Kappy - Kerfoot- Willy
Ceci/Muzzin - Johnsson/Kappy

I don't have Dermott on the PP either, but he'd get PP time before Ceci would is what I'm saying. Spezza is also getting PP time before him. Trevor Moore and Ilya Mikheyev probably would as well. Essentially everyone except Harpur, Gauthier and maybe Hyman is more likely to get PP time than Ceci.

Matthews-Tavares-Nylander
Rielly-Marner

Johnsson-Spezza-Kerfoot
Muzzin-Barrie

Is how I see it.

Reactions: qqaz

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
It's more likely Kerfoot doesn't play a game with the Leafs IMO. If someone is expendable (with Spezza in the mix for cheap and an abundance of wingers + more we could bring in for cheap), it's Kerfoot.

The Leafs likely look at what he wants, how it fits in with Marner and Ceci, and then determine whether or not they can afford him. If he wants a number starting with a 4, the Leafs likely shop him to recoup some picks and use Spezza as their 3C rather than on the wing. If they can get him under 3.5, then he probably stays no matter what. Between 3.5 and 4 it depends on what the other two make, because if Ceci is making 4.5 mill (which is an overpayment but it's not like the Leafs can do anything about what an arbitrator would give him) and Marner over 10 mill, then fitting in Kerfoot is not happening.

I don't think there's any way the Leafs are trading Kerfoot. Dubas clearly stated yesterday, they're more happy getting him then getting Barrie. I see Kerfoot as our long term 3C. And personally, I don't think you see Marner at 10 million. With the Aho offer sheet, that did nothing but help us. If Marner wants short term, 7.5 x 3 years, if he wants long term, it's 9-10 million but for 8 years.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think there's any way the Leafs are trading Kerfoot. Dubas clearly stated yesterday, they're more happy getting him then getting Barrie. I see Kerfoot as our long term 3C. And personally, I don't think you see Marner at 10 million. With the Aho offer sheet, that did nothing but help us. If Marner wants short term, 7.5 x 3 years, if he wants long term, it's 9-10 million but for 8 years.

huh? I don't recall hearing him say that at all.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

Said something along the lines of "i know people are going to point to Barrie as the main part of the trade, but we are super super excited to get kerfoot"

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Said something along the lines of "i know people are going to point to Barrie as the main part of the trade, but we are super super excited to get kerfoot"

Okay, well that's different than saying they are happier to get Kerfoot than Barrie. It's just Dubas throwing some acknowledgement to the fact they also got another player they like, who's gonna get overlooked because Barrie is Barrie.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

The Marner money stuff should have always been known to be that range in the first place. The problem is the overpay of Matthews and internal comparable. Basically Marner is bent out of shape because there was no deal or discount. I don't disagree but he should take a deal between what you said.

I may be in the minority here but I think Matthews is traded before year 4, so enjoy him. If Marner pushes to hard and gets a big deal, he'll be gone instead.

Reactions: therealkoho

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Me neither. I heard him having plans for Ceci. The COL trade didn't even happen yet at that presser I am pretty sure.

Kerfoot to me may not even be a long term center. He played wing mostly for Colorado, and they weren't exactly deep at center. If Kerfoot wants big money, I can see him being a luxury the Leafs can't afford but still being quite attractive on the trade market (i.e. possibly netting a 1st in return) and the Leafs turn to Spezza as their 3C next year. Spezza as a 4C is not a great fit, but if he can just be a strong FO guy and support guy for a couple of talented wingers like Johnsson and Mikheyev in a more offensive role, I can see him putting up 35-40 points next year like Marleau did. The most important thing is that he costs 700k and that gives us more than enough room to get Marner signed longer term, Ceci re-signed for whatever short term overpayment he'll receive, and to get a proper backup upgrade and a solid bottom 6 replacement for Kerfoot.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd think so. I expect Dermott will eventually be ready to assume a top four role. Until then - and especially considering he will be coming off of an injury - it seems hopeful we have the options to not have to rush that. I can see where Ceci's probably not a long term Leaf (beyond this contract), but that's looking too far ahead at this point. There's an opportunity and role for right now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unless Dubas is playing some 4D media chess here, he literally said Ceci will stay and will obviously play.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Ceci will spend a season here. I hope he doesn't.

Unless Dubas is playing some 4D media chess here, he literally said Ceci will stay and will obviously play.
I've been toying with the idea that it's a negotiation ploy. If they plan to move him, they probably don't want teams to think they are desperate to do so.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Ceci will spend a season here. I hope he doesn't.

I've been toying with the idea that it's a negotiation ploy. If they plan to move him, they probably don't want teams to think they are desperate to do so.

Ceci is going on a media tour talking bout the Leafs and looking forward to the new start. Dubas mentioned a few times Ceci will be playing and will be a UFA at the end of the year. McKenzie mentioned he will stay.

I think we have enough hints and a roster spot for him to stay. I think there's enough to assume as well that he's better than Holl and whatever else we can fit into the roster.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1Leafs.jpg

Honestly, it's a valid question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad