Does Barry Trotz become the best coach in the world if he wins the Stanley Cup this year?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
With so limited international achievements it's difficult to declare anyone the best in the world, the best in the league sure.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Washington didn't give him as much freedom. The Islanders are letting him do whatever he wants and to be honest, it's totally showing that it works.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Winning the Cup won't change whether or not he is the best coach (personally, I think he is).

The correct question would be: will he get more recognition if his team wins the Cup?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think he will be coach of the year, if they win. With the NHL being the best league in the world l, I guess technically he would be the best in the world untill someone else is coach of the year. In fact, he might be the best even if he doesn't win the Cup.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think there are a lot around the league that already view Trotz as the best coach. He gets his props by everyone. He’s certainly not disrespected or an afterthought.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Jinx thread is a jinx thread
I take solace in the fact that this was started by a jets fan

most isles fans havent counted our chickens yet, trust me. Hard to be arrogant when you are heading into a round vs a team you lost to last year (which is now healthier, although admittedly our roster's makeup is different as well - Palmieri is just beasting atm)

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
If you count his Washington tenure it's complicated. The team had routinely competed for division titles/presidents trophies during the ovechkin Era before trotz got there so giving him credit for reg season success isn't doing much. So then you have to look at the cup win. Imo the team finally caught lightning in a bottle. All those years of being a top 3 team but never having the luck/grit/bounces/calls go there way ran out and they won one.It was decided before that run trotz was out the door and then they accidently won the cup which made things complicated. Will forver be grateful but not sure how much of it was because trotz.
How about how Washington has performed, or more accurately underperformed, in the three years post-Trotz? Had they made another SC run in the past three years (with basically the same cast of characters) you could possibly say Trotz wasn't maybe as big a factor. But they've been out in the first round with two different coaches three years running after Barry was let go.

My Best-Carey

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
How about how Washington has performed, or more accurately underperformed, in the three years post-Trotz? Had they made another SC run in the past three years (with basically the same cast of characters) you could possibly say Trotz wasn't maybe as big a factor. But they've been out in the first round with two different coaches three years running after Barry was let go.

My Best-Carey
Id argue the caps are performing slightly worse then they always do after trotz left. Win or almost win their division each year and bow out in the first round. They hadn't made a Stanley cup run the 3 years before they won with trotz either. Another factor is the team is older and younger teams (car, nyi) are getting better. Imo trotz doesn't make that much of a difference

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I think we’re more looking at his place in history already.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm biased but in my opinion keeping Nashville afloat and consistently in the playoffs was arguably as difficult as anything else he's accomplished. Trotz will always be welcome here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad