Does Aquilini need the playoff revenue

hudson bay rules

Dec 31, 2013
At what point are we talking about an investment rather than a business?

Many teams lose money every year so is that an investment or something else?

Owning a team has different benefits than owning say 10,000,000 Microsoft shares.

Many are willing to put up with less profit or even a loss if they own them . Why doesn't Gates or Jimmy Pattison own a team if it's so profitable? It takes a fair bit of ego, maybe a corporate decision to fill air time (MLSE) and many times a leap in faith. Still, holding onto a team for a decade or so returns a profit typically even if they don't make money on a yearly basis.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
How do you explain the Coyotes and Panthers??

The Panthers are a loss leader that allows that team's ownership free reign over a publicly built arena and the right to rent out the arena for other uses on non-hockey dates. Basically the Panthers pay their own parent company for use of the arena (which allows the owners to create paper losses for the Panthers while remaining profitable) and then the parent company pockets all the arena revenue from concerts and whatnot.

There's a reason why a franchise that has never turned a profit just sold for $250M and that's because of the hugely profitable arena rights that come along with ownership of the team.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Does Aquilini need the playoff revenue?

Well, considering all the little things like how the memorabilia that fans bid on in the concourse is putting more money in their pocket, it's clear they want to extract every cent from the fans at every opportunity so they'll most definitely want it regardless of any perceived "need".

I bid on a photo as a gift for a friend a couple years ago thinking it would be a "win-win", my friend gets a collectible they'd enjoy and the proceeds would go to a charity just as it does when I've bought auction items at Canucks alumni and related events but when I asked what charity, I was told the Canucks keep the proceeds. You have to wonder what's stopping an Orca employee from running up a bid here and there.

Anyway, yeah, greed always prevails and they'll want and need the revenue.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I've heard numbers like an extra million per home playoff game. Dunno how accurate that is as it's $500 per seat. Maybe they get an extra share for tv? I know I don't give them a penny.

You made a calculation error. More like $50 per seat. They probably make around $3M per home game. That's not all profit though - gotta pay arena staff etc.

To answer the question, do the Canucks need playoff revenue? Depends on how much of a haircut Aquilini took in his divorce, I'm guessing.

Betamax*

You made a calculation error. More like $50 per seat. They probably make around $3M per home game. That's not all profit though - gotta pay arena staff etc.

To answer the question, do the Canucks need playoff revenue? Depends on how much of a haircut Aquilini took in his divorce, I'm guessing.

FA is the face of ownership but I think the CS&E is owned by the entire family (mother/father and their three kids). The Vancouver Sun did an report on their family and it's pretty muddy on whether FA has a greater stake on Canucks specifically over the rest of his family.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It's nice to see the Aquilini's spending all this money, but I have a bad feeling that they're the kind of owners that would never allow a rebuild to happen should we require one.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
To get to the root of the question that OP is really asking: Yes, ownership wants to win a championship but they operate the team as a business first and foremost. Does that mean they will make crazy deadline deals to try and secure more home playoff games? Possibly, but I would think they have the foresight to avoid doing anything to jeopardize the medium-term future in favor of short term gains that aren't even guaranteed.

I think this year could be the only year where Mike Gillis gets a pass for doing nothing at the deadline and missing the playoffs, because of the cap restrictions that have resulted from the owner-instigated lockout.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
The tower is for Aquilini Head offices for all of Aqulini's ventures. Not for Condos.

I work for one of the designing engineers for these towers. Looking at the drawings, I can tell you the south tower alone has no fewer than 28 floors dedicated to condos.

Even if it wasn't a residential tower, developers don't construct towers at a projected loss. It's obviously a terrible business plan.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
the post game show on 1040 had this caller call in talking about taking his dollars to the Abbotsford Heat instead.

sparked the discussion about empty luxury boxes in last year's playoffs
Single game tickets readily advertised by the Canucks being very available

All it takes is one bad trade or FA signing, to keep the business afloat, but sink the hockey team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad