Does Aquilini need the playoff revenue

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Not the Aquilini family specifically, but Canucks Sports & Entertainment as a whole.

My point is, its' probably not as simple as "if you're not a Stanley Cup contending team, then don't trade away pieces just to get swept in the second round"

How much are 5 playoff home games at Rogers Arena worth.

The towers aren't going to pay themselves.

To the people that want to re-tool/re-build ASAP, maybe Gillis just can't do that. Maybe he needs that playoff revenue to pay the sleep doctor, to pay for the towers etc.

railed_RogersArenaTowerRendering3.jpg

Rogers Arena Tower Construction
Aug 15, 2013

Visitors to Rogers Arena can expect a more comfortable experience while cheering on their Canucks as three towers are being constructed around the Canucks home rink, two of which will be connected to the arena itself.

The first of three towers to go up will connect at the southwestern end of Rogers Arena, with the first five floors expanding the concourses of the rink.

railed_RogersArenaTowerRendering4.jpg

The West Tower, as it’s been tentatively named, will give fans a greater variety of food and beverage selections, while creating a more open space on the busy Rogers Arena concourses. Increased bathroom facilities will be a welcome relief for fans looking to avoid troublesome lineups.

The Tower’s fourth floor will feature a cutting edge sports bar unlike any other in Vancouver. The club will include new premium view seating plus allow fans without tickets to purchase low priced “standing room†access to the building where they can enjoy the “in-building†atmosphere during the game as well as pre and post game.

Luxury party suites will also be available to rent for large groups on the rink’s 500 level.

The arena space is expected to be operational for the 2014.15 NHL season, while the remaining suites of the 26-story building, which will be a mix of rental residential and office spaces, will be completed shortly thereafter.

The second 31-story South Tower will not be attached to Rogers Arena, but will be in close proximity on the South Plaza. The South Tower will include five levels of underground parking with over 200 rental residential units in addition to fitness and multipurpose facilities. Excavation will begin in the fall of 2013.

The third 28-story East Tower, which will be located above the current Canucks Team Store,, will be another mixed-use highrise with both rental residential apartments and office suites. Construction of the tower is scheduled to begin in 2014.
SOURCE

Wetcoaster

Not the Aquilini family specifically, but Canucks Sports & Entertainment as a whole.

My point is, its' probably not as simple as "if you're not a Stanley Cup contending team, then don't trade away pieces just to get swept in the second round"

How much are 5 playoff home games at Rogers Arena worth.

The towers aren't going to pay themselves.
Actually they do - that is why there is money to be made in real estate development.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If the cap continues to rise and the Canucks continue to spend to the limit, then I imagine that playoff revenue will be needed. Unless the Canucks can make more than 50% of their revenue from just merchandising / TV / sponsorship, I imagine they will probably need as much ticket revenue as possible.

Any business should be financially sustainable. If the Canucks are bleeding money every single season, even a billionaire will lose interest in it at some point (losing money goes against the fabric of their existence).

Wetcoaster

If the cap continues to rise and the Canucks continue to spend to the limit, then I imagine that playoff revenue will be needed. Unless the Canucks can make account more than 50% of their revenue from just merchandising / TV / sponsorship, I imagine they will probably need as much ticket revenue as possible.

Any business should be financially sustainable. If the Canucks are bleeding money every single season, even a billionaire will lose interest in it at some point (losing money goes against the fabric of their existence).
The cap rises as a percentage of HRR - so more revenue.

The Canucks make money and are a valuable asset - See Forbes annual report on the hockey business.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Actually they do - that is why there is money to be made in real estate development.

i can see the office suites and residential apartments paying themselves

because somehow there's still lots of rich people in Vancouver

but the sports bar and the expansion of the concourse.

Wetcoaster

i can see the office suites and residential apartments paying themselves

because somehow there's still lots of rich people in Vancouver

but the sports bar and the expansion of the concourse.
If it was not profitable, it would not be built. The Aquilini family are very astute business people.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The cap rises as a percentage of HRR - so more revenue.

Well the revenue is calculated as the whole of NHL. So if they decided to add 2 more teams, the revenue will increase as a result. NYI moving to Broklyn should result in higher revenue and if they ever move Phoenix to a financially less suicidal location, that would increase revenue as well.

I guess my point is that the cap is not going to be tied solely on the Canucks' financial performance and it can still go up with the Canucks' revenue stagnating at the same time. Unless the Canucks find strength in their sponsorship/ TV/ merchandising, it will be hard not to imagine them not needing playoff revenue. edit: If they continue to spend to the cap.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
It's a hockey team, not a charity. Of course they want the money.

which is why I specifically stated "NEED" versus "want"

the towers are just an example.

they raise ticket prices, but this isn't Toronto. From where I stand, there isn't that type of demand for this current form of product at that price point. (No numbers to backup this statement, only hearsay)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

they raise ticket prices, but this isn't Toronto. From where I stand, there isn't that type of demand for this current form of product at that price point. (No numbers to backup this statement, only hearsay)

The towers are going to be make tons of money just by itself. There is a reason why property developers are always in every country's top rich list.

I am guessing that the property development arm that are building the towers are a separate business unit so whether they make money or not doesn't really matter to the Canucks sporting unit.

hudson bay rules

Dec 31, 2013
I've heard numbers like an extra million per home playoff game. Dunno how accurate that is as it's $500 per seat. Maybe they get an extra share for tv? I know I don't give them a penny.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It is not possible to run those businesses well.

Phoenix is weird. I am not sure who is benefiting from it except for Shane Doan. City is bleeding money, owners are paying for it through revenue sharing, players are paying for it by having a lower revenue and hence lower crap but yet it is still there.

Wetcoaster

Vancouver charges more for premium tickets than Toronto.

Given the massive waiting list, the Canucks could raise prices quite a bit more and still sell out.

hudson bay rules

Dec 31, 2013
Higher volume of team merchandise sold and food/drinks as well.

Playoff tickets start at about $135 apparently maybe averaging $200.

Add $200 for a sweater each for every game and $100 for food, drink and parking for each and every seat seems unreasonable.

There must be more outside revenue. As I said, tv is my guess.

Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks announced today that over 1,000 single game tickets will be made available for all home games in Round 1 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Tickets for the general public will go on sale via phone and internet only on Saturday, March 31st at 10:00 a.m. Fans can purchase tickets online at www.canucks.com/tickets or by calling Ticketmaster at 1-855-523-6800. Tickets will be available at the Rogers Arena Box Office and Ticketmaster Ticket Centres as of Monday, April 2nd based on availability. Tickets will be distributed once the Round 1 game schedule is confirmed and announced.

Ticket prices for Round 1 begin at $135. Based on availability, each household will be eligible to purchase a maximum of four tickets per game.

edit

my math is off by a factor of 10

man I feel stupid

20,000 tickets at 50 bucks each is a million so after costs and the players share there should be a million for the owner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad