Does anyone still think we're a playoff team?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Blues win in OT making it 6 in a row. We are now 6 pts out if wild card and St. Louis has a game in hand.

My playoff optimism meter is fluttering.

Yeah, it's more likely to be at the cost of Minnesota if it happens, who is also six points ahead, but with same numbers of games played.

Still, 27 games to go. A win streak would be - nice.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Vegas, Blues, Leafs, Flames, Oilers and Canucks til the deadline. We need an absolute minimum of 8 points through that stretch.

Complete sellers at the deadline if anything less. No messing.

Reactions: azcanuck

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Yotes will need to go 18-9 down stretch to get to 89.
That will be tough

I don't think 89 points is the magic number.

Minnesota holds the last wild card-spot today, with 59 points in 57 games. That means 84.5 points in 82 games. So it looks like 85 points might be enough. I haven't looked at it more closely than that, of course.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think 89 points is the magic number.

Minnesota holds the last wild card-spot today, with 59 points in 57 games. That means 84.5 points in 82 games. So it looks like 85 points might be enough. I haven't looked at it more closely than that, of course.

I think your numbers are right. Some team might get hot and go higher, but right now 85 pts is the cut.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not very good odds. We are always the underdog.:)

The odds are not wrong, but somewhat misleading. Due to the tight nature of the standings, even the 8th place Wild only have a 39% chance of making the playoffs, while the 7th place Blues have a 86% chance.

The odds are saying that the Blues pt percentage being .037 higher gives them more than double the chance of playoff glory than the Wild.

Bottom line: we need 33 pts over our remaining 26 games to have greater than a50% chance. That ain't going to be easy.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I bet on a bunch of vancouver players to score big and for vancouver to trounce Anaheim, so of course they got shutout.

You're welcome, Coyotes!

Only 1-0, but I would not be surprised if the Ducks go on a hot streak.

Feb 12, 2003
I think people are actually underestimating the playoff pace. I haven't checked the schedules of the teams in the bubble, but I suspect there are a ton of games against each other in the remaining games in the season. You will see the points settle and it will be over 90 points to make the playoffs unless none of these teams are able to break away from the pack. It's a mirage that all of those teams are on the bubble. When was the last time a team made the playoffs with less than 90 points? Seems like you'd have to go back to the old division playoffs in the 80's or early 90's. I haven't looked it up, but for a good long time it has required 92+ points.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think people are actually underestimating the playoff pace. I haven't checked the schedules of the teams in the bubble, but I suspect there are a ton of games against each other in the remaining games in the season. You will see the points settle and it will be over 90 points to make the playoffs unless none of these teams are able to break away from the pack. It's a mirage that all of those teams are on the bubble. When was the last time a team made the playoffs with less than 90 points? Seems like you'd have to go back to the old division playoffs in the 80's or early 90's. I haven't looked it up, but for a good long time it has required 92+ points.

2015-16 the Wild made it with 87 pts.

Feb 12, 2003
2015-16 the Wild made it with 87 pts.
I stand corrected then, I lost track of that so thank you.

I still get the feeling that we are going to see some teams break away from the pack though and the schedule could have a large role to play. I guess it remains to be seen.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The analytics guy at the Athletic says the Coyotes have the 2nd easiest schedule the rest of the way (behind Calgary) with regard to amount of home games, days of rest compared to their opponents, and quality of opponent.
Screen-Shot-2019-02-13-at-8.55.49-PM.png

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
The analytics guy at the Athletic says the Coyotes have the 2nd easiest schedule the rest of the way (behind Calgary) with regard to amount of home games, days of rest compared to their opponents, and quality of opponent.

When I was looking at the remaining schedule recently I also noticed that (with the idea we'd need x amount of points in the remaining games) the teams we are up against aren't impossible. Could put on one hand how many games the Yotes would be easily picked to lose based on how they've played them this year/how that team is in the standings. (Example: Calgary... Yotes just have had so many troubles with them this year)

If the Yotes can just make sure to win as many "winnable" games as they can... not impossible. I have a little hope.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Screen-Shot-2019-02-13-at-8.55.49-PM.png

Would have been a good thing if the Yotes actually liked to play in Gila River Arena. But the team does it way better away than home...

Is it bad ice, is the Yotes best on good ice? Something.

Reactions: _Del_

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Would have been a good thing if the Yotes actually liked to play in Gila River Arena. But the team does it way better away than home...

Is it bad ice, is the Yotes best on good ice? Something.
I think when we are on the road, teams relax an take us lightly, coyotes are coming, they aren't very good, just show up. Not really up for us. At home, teams know the road is tougher, so they don't relax as much and are more ready to play. Plus, our home fans are split, so we don't get a big home boost.

We just need to play hard, play well, not make many mistakes and win the next game. That should be our mantra and let the chips fall where they may.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Problem is I would rather face some of the top teams at the end of the season. They will be resting guys and taking the lower teams lightly if they have it locked up. All the teams in the bubble will be clawing for that last wildcard spot. At least the next couple weeks should be exciting and meaningful, something we haven't been able to say since 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad