Does anyone still think we're a playoff team?

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I wouldn't trade for him at the deadline, but I like Michael Ferland as a target to sign as a UFA. Think he's in that second tier where he'll be getting a contract somewhere below $5 million
A team is going to regret paying Ferland the kind of money he's supposedly asking for.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see someone give him a deal similar to Tom Wilson's.

Reactions: azcanuck

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, but if we pay anything above 6 mill to a UFA, he better be a 1C or top pairing RHD. UFA isn't the way for a poor club like ours to get to the next leve, and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a winger.
The problem now is that the cap has gone crazy and so are the salaries. The cap was the Yote's best friend, not it's the worst enemy.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
A team is going to regret paying Ferland the kind of money he's supposedly asking for.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see someone give him a deal similar to Tom Wilson's.
In the history of the NHL when you overpay guys like Ferland it turns around and really hurts. These guys start thinking they are different players and have to be more offensive to justify the money. It never ends well.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
We are lucky there are a multitude of garbage teams in the West. How in the world are Anaheim, Vancouver, and Edmonton still in the mix as well?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
We are lucky there are a multitude of garbage teams in the West. How in the world are Anaheim, Vancouver, and Edmonton still in the mix as well?

Well, to be honest it's the parity. The teams are closer to each other in strength than you seem to think. This goes for the entire NHL.

Best regards from Captain Obvious. ;)

Reactions: Katie Connauton

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, to be honest it's the parity. The teams are closer to each other in strength than you seem to think. This goes for the entire NHL.

Best regards from Captain Obvious. ;)
Ducks/Canucks/Oilers/Coyotes: 72 points for one of these teams and 90 points for one of them. Hard to say who lands where at the end of the season. Part of me thinks the Coyotes are due for some good luck and the playoffs, and part of me thinks we have had pretty good goal tending and timely goals lately, but our injuries will catch up with us and we miss again.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Ducks/Canucks/Oilers/Coyotes: 72 points for one of these teams and 90 points for one of them. Hard to say who lands where at the end of the season. Part of me thinks the Coyotes are due for some good luck and the playoffs, and part of me thinks we have had pretty good goal tending and timely goals lately, but our injuries will catch up with us and we miss again.
It is kinda nice just to be talking about the playoffs and Coyotes in the same sentence in February. I know I don't have to remind any of you of the past dismal years.

Unfortunately, I do think the injuries will catch up to us, BUT it is nice to watch the 'Yotes in some meaningful games this time of year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Unfortunately, I do think the injuries will catch up to us

I'm okay with this.

IMO the most important benchmark (for now anyway) has been comparing them to themselves last year. On that score the team is way ahead.

21 ROWs vs 11 at this time last year.

That's crazy. Even after the end of season hot streak they only finished with 27.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, the improvement from last year is always something.

Talking about playoffs-hope: I know some don't like the sites tracking this, but according to Arizona Coyotes Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats , the hope is 25.2%, not hopeless- and even a loser-point tonight will improve it, with 0.2! Of course, a regulation loss will be bad. While a win will be seriously improving it.

Sad to hear no news about the big names on IR though. Just names being added to the list. :(

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I don't like this system where a lot of teams, even if crappy, still are close to the playoffs. Sure, it's fun for the fanbase, but it's not good for hockey since it gets so watered down. But I guess this was the point with the Cap system.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don't like this system where a lot of teams, even if crappy, still are close to the playoffs. Sure, it's fun for the fanbase, but it's not good for hockey since it gets so watered down. But I guess this was the point with the Cap system.
It's not so bad. The good teams a clearly good and you can see in the points they have vs the other 8-12 teams fighting for a spot. It's better to have multiple teams still "in it" by February otherwise any casual fans of the other 16 teams fall off. That doesn't make the league/teams money.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

I like it. I don't view it as crap teams making the playoffs, but rather more league parity. The gap between great and terrible is not much.

To me, the 1st rd of the playoffs is some of the most exciting hockey all year. Energy is very high...bodies flying around...anything can happen.

The NHL system is much better than MLB where very good teams are left out every year. Last season Tampa was 90-72 and missed the playoffs, yet Atlanta was 90-72 and won their division. MLB would be wise to shorten the excessively long regular season and expand the playoffs to be more like the NHL and NBA.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes, I see those points. It's just weird to see players, on several "weaker" teams, say they are amazed they are still in the race...

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I like it. I don't view it as crap teams making the playoffs, but rather more league parity. The gap between great and terrible is not much.

To me, the 1st rd of the playoffs is some of the most exciting hockey all year. Energy is very high...bodies flying around...anything can happen.

The NHL system is much better than MLB where very good teams are left out every year. Last season Tampa was 90-72 and missed the playoffs, yet Atlanta was 90-72 and won their division. MLB would be wise to shorten the excessively long regular season and expand the playoffs to be more like the NHL and NBA.

I've been saying this for a few years now to my buddies that are huge into baseball. The consensus is that it wont happen from them, even if they do agree that changes could benefit the game. From an NHL standpoint, it has been my view that the playoffs are a bit too long though. I think we would be doing ourselves a service by going to 5 game series in the first 2 rounds and 7 game series in the 2nd 2 rounds.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
14 games in 28 February days.....including 6 in a row to start the month against teams currently in playoff spots. 14 points in February should be seen as a success.

Easier schedule in March (potentially) plus adding Richie, hopefully DVO and Grabner will feel like TDL acquisitions.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I've been saying this for a few years now to my buddies that are huge into baseball. The consensus is that it wont happen from them, even if they do agree that changes could benefit the game. From an NHL standpoint, it has been my view that the playoffs are a bit too long though. I think we would be doing ourselves a service by going to 5 game series in the first 2 rounds and 7 game series in the 2nd 2 rounds.
Playoff hockey is the best competition in all of sports, can't say I'd want to shorten it personally but I can see the argument for dropping a couple games in the first round or two.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
14 games in 28 February days.....including 6 in a row to start the month against teams currently in playoff spots. 14 points in February should be seen as a success.

Easier schedule in March (potentially) plus adding Richie, hopefully DVO and Grabner will feel like TDL acquisitions.

But if we are only .500 in Feb we will need to hit .700 in March.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it would increase the level of play for sure, so I guess that falls under fatigue. 82 just feels like it drags on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->