Does anyone else think Ranger will get the Kostka treatment?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
No. It will be a mistake if he isn't replaced this season in that role.
Exactly. We seem to overrate mediocre players around here. That Gunnar - Phaneuf pairing looked out of place due to lack of creativity. Franson started being used in shutdown situations vs Krejci and even produced well. If he plays with Gardiner, expect the two to be used against scoring lines. Gardiner's mobility, Franson's strong passing makes them a huge threat on the counterattack.

We really need to use our opportunities better. Phaneuf can still shutdown top guys in a high tempo system. Beauchemin, on the other hand, couldn't do that, and the scoring of tne rush playing style will remain. Clarkson, and Colborne will essentially replicate JVR/Kulemin's role, while Bolland will play a Marchand-esque aggitator role with a skilled guy ( i.e. JVR). Gunnarsson should be playing on the mid-pairing or the last pairing with Rielly.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Im not sure who is with me on this but Paul Ranger has a big, big ego. He comes across like he think he is better than u, smarter than u and his u know what dont stink. Its very subtle buts its there. Its not in your face arrogance like Barry Bonds, but its there for me.

Ace88*

I just hope Ranger can still hack it in the NHL. I have zero expectations for him.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I hope he doesn't get the Kostka treatment, because Kostka ended up horrible. Even though he already was horrible. I only really remember Ranger from Tampa, and don't really know what he did last year. But I think he should start off on the bottom pairing (if you want to call it that) with Gardiner. My defense would look like this (assuming that Franson somehow gets resigned, and Liles is either waived, bought-out, or traded):

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson
Gardiner - Ranger
Rielly

I put Rielly there because I believe he would have to play his way onto the team during training camp, and that 9 game stint. If that's the case then Ranger becomes the 7th D-man....

That also looks like a promising defense, imo.

Fraser will not be getting top 4 minutes. I mean why give Fraser move minutes than Gardiner and Ranger. I see the pairings as

Dion Gunnarson
Franson Gardiner
Ranger Fraser
Holzer or Granberg grab last spot.

Good mix of skill and Tenacity. Reily could make the squad and take Frasers (not Rangers spot imo) place.

Mar 12, 2009
Good for you to have a feeling, but that doesn't mean much to anyone else unless you are somehow connected to the hockey world.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
I'm hoping he turns into a significant player. I love a story of somebody going through a tough time and returning better than ever.

<--- Paul Ranger

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We currently have 6 guys who can likely legitimately give us quality top-4 minutes with Dion, Gunnar, Gardiner, Franson, Ranger, and Liles. Rielly's in play, too.

There are a ton of options for Randy to play with.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I have a feeling Carlyle is going to put Ranger with Phaneuf on the top pairing to start the season, if not after the first few games.

Does anyone else see this as a remote possibility, and if so, how do you see him playing on the top pairing? I think his skill set would compliment Phaneuf really well, and if he returns to his old self, they could both log huge minutes.

I see our D like this next season (assuming we resign Franson, otherwise Rielly takes that spot)

Ranger-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnar
Fraser-Franson

He most likely will but Ranger unlike Kostka has previous experience playing big mins in the NHL so it could be a big plus for him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Important thing to remember - Kostka played the first half of the season in the AHL with the Marlies last year.

He had form and fitness over many of the Leafs coming into the season, which was why Carlyle rode him so hard early on before he took his foot off of him.

Paul Ranger has the exact opposite - while he's played AHL hockey last year, he's been quite far removed from the pace of the NHL for a few years now.

I would expect a more sheltered, protected approach for Ranger.

I don't think Ranger will be thrown into the deep end ala. Kostka

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
As long as he doesn't play as poorly as Kostka did, I can't see why he'd get that kind of treatment.

LordKmus

Feb 19, 2012
Hopefully not. The guy hasn't played NHL hockey in 4 years. I'm aware he was probably the Marlies best defensman last year, but the NHL is a whole different animal. IMO, ease him back into the show, almost like you would a rookie, and start giving him more and more responsibility as he re-acclimates himself to the NHL. If he makes it to the top pairing with Phaneuf, great. If he struggles, he could still make a decent depth defender, and if he struggles ALOT we have other defensemen like Brennan, Holzer, and Fraser that can all eat up bottom pairing minutes. But whatever you do, don't throw him to the wolves and have him playing huge minutes against other teams top lines right away like Kostka was.

This. I would hate to see Ranger just tossed back into the flames and have his confidence ruined if he struggled.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Im not sure who is with me on this but Paul Ranger has a big, big ego. He comes across like he think he is better than u, smarter than u and his u know what dont stink. Its very subtle buts its there. Its not in your face arrogance like Barry Bonds, but its there for me.

What in the world is this based on?

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
What in the world is this based on?

My impression of Ranger is nothing but positive in any interview I have seen of his. To step away from big money to try to sort out some issues in your life is pretty impressive. No doubt he could have signed elsewhere for more than $1M. Good for him and good for the Leafs.

DaveT83*

The prototypical Leaf fan only values "Known Commodities". Anyone else regardless of performance isn't good enough.

Rangers leash regardless of performance will be miles longer than the likes of Holzer/Fraser or any other rookie that wasn't drafted first round.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd rather have Ranger play with Franson. He has great mobility and is pretty decent puck mover as well. Seeing that Phaneuf needs more of a creative that can join the shut down forwards, I think someone like Gardiner is more appropriate. We have the opportunity to field a very powerful first pairing which will lessen the need for a premier #1C like Eric Staal.

Remember, what makes Franson promising is his sheer creativity. He isn't mean, physical, or mobile, and doesn't necessarily have an elite shot either. It's his puck moving ability and great - not elite - vision that makes him stand out. A pairing with Franson with either Gunnarsson or Ranger would look really solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad