Does anyone else think Ranger will get the Kostka treatment?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I have a feeling Carlyle is going to put Ranger with Phaneuf on the top pairing to start the season, if not after the first few games.

Does anyone else see this as a remote possibility, and if so, how do you see him playing on the top pairing? I think his skill set would compliment Phaneuf really well, and if he returns to his old self, they could both log huge minutes.

I see our D like this next season (assuming we resign Franson, otherwise Rielly takes that spot)

Ranger-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnar
Fraser-Franson

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think he'll get forced into some bigger minutes in the top 4 .. Hope he can handle it, but I think Gunner proved he can handle big minutes with Phaneuf

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Ranger
Fraser - Franson

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Hopefully not. The guy hasn't played NHL hockey in 4 years. I'm aware he was probably the Marlies best defensman last year, but the NHL is a whole different animal. IMO, ease him back into the show, almost like you would a rookie, and start giving him more and more responsibility as he re-acclimates himself to the NHL. If he makes it to the top pairing with Phaneuf, great. If he struggles, he could still make a decent depth defender, and if he struggles ALOT we have other defensemen like Brennan, Holzer, and Fraser that can all eat up bottom pairing minutes. But whatever you do, don't throw him to the wolves and have him playing huge minutes against other teams top lines right away like Kostka was.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hopefully not. The guy hasn't played NHL hockey in 4 years. I'm aware he was probably the Marlies best defensman last year, but the NHL is a whole different animal.

To be fair, he was noticeably better than Kostka and Holzer at the AHL level. Plus has plenty of NHL experience, and even though we're several years removed, he HAS shown the ability to comfortably/responsibly play top pairing minutes.

I'd trust him a lot more than Kostka/Holzer at the NHL, even though he hasn't played at that level in a few years. Gunnarsson is definitely the default, Ranger will likely get eased into the lineup, and have to earn top ice-time if he's ever going to get it.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Hopefully not. The guy hasn't played NHL hockey in 4 years. I'm aware he was probably the Marlies best defensman last year, but the NHL is a whole different animal. IMO, ease him back into the show, almost like you would a rookie, and start giving him more and more responsibility as he re-acclimates himself to the NHL. If he makes it to the top pairing with Phaneuf, great. If he struggles, he could still make a decent depth defender, and if he struggles ALOT we have other defensemen like Brennan, Holzer, and Fraser that can all eat up bottom pairing minutes. But whatever you do, don't throw him to the wolves and have him playing huge minutes against other teams top lines right away like Kostka was.

I agree with you 100% and wouldn't mind having him play third pairing safe minutes until he gets readjusted to the NHL game.

I just have a strange feeling he starts the year with Phaneuf though...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'd be nervous thinking what Phaneuf would look like without a scrub on the blue line with him...

But I don't know if we'll see Ranger paired with Phaneuf. Possibly on PK if Ranger is up to par with that task, but more likely we'll see more of Phaneuf + Gunnarsson.

Can't see Carlyle wanting to break up Gardiner + Franson after they played so well together in the playoffs.

Really think Ranger is paired with Liles/Fraser in the 5/6/7 spots. If Ranger plays like he did with the Lightning, and if Rielly is looking capable of earning a spot in the line-up, then it'll open the trade doors for one or both of Liles and Gunnarsson.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I have no issues whatsoever trying Ranger out with Phaneuf. Guess that's why we have a preseason. It's not fair to really compare last season's experiment with Kostka anyway.

Kostka only made the team because he was our top D man on the Marlies and was in game shape at the beginning of the season. He was scaled back once the NHLers got up to speed.

This coming season will have a full training camp and there will be fewer Kostka type situations to deal with. Ranger is by far a better player than Kostka.

SteveV*

Considering Ranger is actually an NHL defenceman, not sure the Costco analogy has any merit whatsoever.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Hope he can handle it, but I think Gunner proved he can handle big minutes with Phaneuf

I would say if the last few years are any indication, we absolutely need to find a replacement for Gunner in that spot. He seems to get noticeably worse once he breaks around the 15-20 minute mark of an NHL game.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Not even remotely.

Ranger has way more skill and upside than Kostka. His potential is as a legitimate 3rd or 4th defenceman . . . maybe even skating with Phaneuf eventually. But he'll have to be eased back in to some degree, and Gunnar will likely start with Phaneuf I think.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Yeah let's blame Kostka for being fed top line minutes when he should have been restricted to the third pairing.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
Yeah let's blame Kostka for being fed top line minutes when he should have been restricted to the third pairing.

i got my flame suit on but i actually think kosta served his purpose, he was at NHL speed in great shape right when the players started playing without preseason after the lockout, so i think he was pretty useful and carlisle rode him as long as he could until the other players caught up and he started to suck ass

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Rielly could start with Phaneuf and then Ranger moves up the lineup after 9 games?

I was thinking if Rielly made the team his ideal partner would be Fraser. Carlyle would let Rielly play easy sheltered minutes, and Fraser makes sure nobody gets into scrums with Rielly after the whistle/takes liberties on him.

Him and Gardiner on the 2nd PP unit with kadri would be so beautiful

ALine

May 14, 2012
Carlyle's usage of Kostka says less about Kostka, but more about the rest of the defense. Phaneuf was the all situation workhorse. Gunnarrson was shaky, Gardiner had defensive issues, Holzer had everything issues, Fraser and Franson found a niche, but it was only against bottom six competition. Kostka was in good shape, older, a veteran. An AHL veteran, but still. Someone who is coachable and willing to do the little things. As terrible at them as he may be...

This year, Randy's got a better feel for what everybody can do. And players will have a proper training camp as well. Wouldn't be suprised to Ranger being the one sheltered, as he is acclimated to the NHL. And the rest of the defense, (mostly Phaneuf) picks up the slack.

SteveV*

Kostka on third line pairing was a joke too, guy has the slowest response time I've ever seen, he was never an NHLer, apart from a depth guy you could go to as a last resort due to injuries. Honestly, I have never seen a player process the game at the speed Kostka does, it was like slow motion, clearly OUT of his LEAGUE.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I think Ranger will end up being the most important signing of all off-season ahead of Bozak and Clarkson.

He'll become anywhere between the 2nd-4th most used Dman after Phaneuf but I don't think he'll be partnered with Phaneuf. I think Ranger will play on the 2nd pair and see the 2nd toughest matchups. Not having a good 2nd pair to rely on for matchups caused the Gunnar-Phaneuf pair to be overextended especially against Boston.

I predict Ranger ends up playing with Gardiner who seemed to be getting back to his skating/jump in the rush type of game in the playoffs but still has and maybe always will be not the best defensive dman. Having Ranger paired with Gardiner will give Gardiner a steady partner who usually hangs back and confidence that he can jump up in the play and know his partner will be there (just like Gunnar does for Phaneuf).

Last edited:

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Kostka on third line pairing was a joke too, guy has the slowest response time I've ever seen, he was never an NHLer, apart from a depth guy you could go to as a last resort due to injuries. Honestly, I have never seen a player process the game at the speed Kostka does, it was like slow motion, clearly OUT of his LEAGUE.

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. Kostka was a serviceable stop-gap when used in a limited role.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I think Ranger will end up being the most important signing of all off-season ahead of Bozak and Clarkson.

He'll become anywhere between the 2nd-4th most used Dman after Phaneuf but I don't think he'll be partnered with Phaneuf. I think Ranger will play on the 2nd pair and see the 2nd toughest matchups. Not having a good 2nd pair to rely on for matchups caused the Gunnar-Phaneuf pair cause us to overextend them.

I predict Ranger ends up playing with Gardiner who seemed to be getting back to his skating/jump in the rush type of game in the playoffs but still has and many always be not the best defensive dman. Having Ranger paired with Gardiner will give Gardiner a steady partner who usually hangs back and confidence that he can jump up in the play and know partner will be there (just like Gunnar does for Phaneuf).

Great post. I was trying to figure out where Ranger would ideally fit if he plays the way he did in Tampa. I think he would be a good fit with Jake as well, and would also help us keep the Franson-Fraser pair together, which worked really well last season. Franson also seemed to play really well with tougher minutes toward the season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlyle split the workload over the course of the season and keep Phaneuf as fresh as possible for the post season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad