Does Anyone Else Think Ottawa Might Have a Good Season?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Nah-Meme-Picture.jpg

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This past year has been a disaster for them and they’re the laughing stock of the league, do any of you guys think they might have some sort of Vegas-like chip on their shoulder and prove everyone wrong?

Everyone would have to overachieve greatly and their goaltending would have to be Godly, but after the season Vegas had there is a chance. Albeit very, very, very *takes a deep breath* very, very, low. lol

Reactions: 63 others

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
But they don't save any money at all. They didn't send him down. He remains on their roster.
Yea, because nobody claimed him.

The fact that they didn’t demote him, and just put him back on the 2nd line shows that it wasn’t a performance thing, but an attempt at shedding $$.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yea, because nobody claimed him.

The fact that they didn’t demote him, and just put him back on the 2nd line shows that it wasn’t a performance thing, but an attempt at shedding $$.

Claiming him has nothing to do with it.

If he was waived to save money, they still could send him down and shave nearly a million dollars of their payroll. This clearly wasn't about money.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Wouldnt surprise me if they are a bit better than people expect.

But honestly, I dont like their goaltending much. I think Anderson is starting to break down. Maybe Condon can make a push. I honestly hope their fan base that their first round pick doesnt turn into the #1 overall.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If they had kept Karlsson I could've seen it as a possibility, but not with the defense they have now

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Just miss playoffs but Tkachuk will have a massive year playing alongside Stone and their future will actually look exciting

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

If he was waived to save money, they still could send him down and shave nearly a million dollars of their payroll. This clearly wasn't about money.
What?

If a team claimed him, then Ottawa would owe him nothing.

If they sent him down, they’d have to pay him every cent of his contract, and likely wind up calling up a guy in a 2-way contract... meaning overall they’d be spending more.

This was 100% about saving money.

Goggles Pisano

Sep 3, 2010
Kitchener-Waterloo

They would save a million dollars off of their cap space but Melnyk would still have to pay him his full salary. They were clearly hoping someone would claim him. This clearly was about money. If it wasn't he would be in the AHL.

Reactions: Sureves and MC2D

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Ive tried looking at that angle lately and just can't. This isn't just a bad team.

Craig Anderson asked for a trade in the off-season. They waived a veteran locker room guy that was well liked. Duchene called out the organization with his kick in the balls comment. They finished 30th place with the best offensive defenseman in the league and a 25 goal scorer which neither we're replaced.
This isnt like the Golden Knights, this team has nothing to be motivated about.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
YES

It's about time that everyone realizes that parity is King in the NHL

The Ottawa Senators could make the playoffs this season.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

You don’t save any actual money when you send someone to the minors unless they’re on a two-way contract. It’s only cap relief. They were hoping someone would take him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If they had kept Karlsson I could've seen it as a possibility, but not with the defense they have now
This. Their defense is too bad for them to be good.

Also I think Duchene is leaving as a free agent so they'll need to trade him during the season which will make them worse.

Reactions: Danythegod

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I could definitely see them having a decent season, HOWEVER, it usually happens when you have a group of guys that mesh well, and Ottawa is doing everything they can to disturb that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad