Does anyone else believe that the Leafs should think small?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'd rather the Leafs kept slowly building and adding picks/prospects then blow our load trying to make ourselves better for short term gain.

Why do so many people keep talking about picks and prospects that A) may not ever become anything and B) even if they do likely won't contribute for a few years? You talk about them not being a lock to make the playoffs, which is true (no team is a lock), but doing nothing other than stockpiling picks and prospects guarantees that they won't make it. The goal is to make the playoffs while also developing players who can contribute down the road.

You are advocating that they build for the future so I have to ask - when does that future actually occur?

They don't have to try to win it all next year but they can make progress without waiting for some unknowable point in the future.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well as things sit right now, my wish list looks like this

Stast, one of Frans/Gunner as the roster player and filled in with youngens not involving Kadri/Gards/Reil at the least.

Clarkson, depending on demands.

Ferrence?

JVR--Stast-Kess

Lups-Kadri-Clarks

McLem-Bolland_Kuli

Orr/McLar--Colb--Hammer/Asht/Migo

Gunner--Dion

Gards-Ferrence

Fraser--Reilly/Liles

Holz?

Reims/Berner

Something in that ballpark

leafspring*

We have the second most cap space available as of now. However cap space in one context (being second best amount left to spend is great) in another context is not looking as large.

We have the fewest number of signed players in the league and our cap space per unsigned player available is average,sitting at $2,229,167 per. The team must absolutely continue astute asset management going forward. Really that should go unsaid.

That said i wouldn't like players being given jobs because they have a low cap hit to cover up for bad signings either. Managing a NHL team is trickey to say the least though. Its not easy.

Carlyle built teams will be strong defensively and that has to be factored into the equation as it relieves pressure to have the very best players (in the team context)to be competitive.

The defensive coach is definately a advantage in the cap system(my opinion). Having a world class coach like Carlyle leaves you a nice balance of giving young players the right chance to succeed when they earn it and accountability of all players is paramount in his structure.

With Carlyle behind the bench,trades,drafting,and UFA signings will and should take place.There can still be cap flexability left and still be competitive at present i think.

This draft we absolutely heisted a top 10 player in the draft with Gauthier and he just might NHL ready in 2 years because of his defensive excellence. We are coming along nicely but are not there quite yet. A couple more years and we will be getting right good i believe.

Patience is still the word of the day for our team.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You mean the teams who have superior centres are contenders!:nod:
Hmm...Tampa Bay...Colorado ( supposedly have three number 1Cs?), Carolina, Dallas, etc. Defence seems to play a much more important role. You could have someone like Scott Gomez as a centre and it's doable.

Krejci is nowhere close to Spezza and yet Boston were able to make it to the finals. Montreal without an orthodox playmaking centre, have been contending regularly. Chicago was able to win the cup with a winger-heavy team.

I don't think there is one way of winning the cup. If anything, the middle has to be elite defensively and not necessarily produce big numbers offensively.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yeah because Petry replaces Dion. Good one.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm because he put two big trades in a thread about making small moves... at least I hope it was :help:

Most Leaf fans want to keep the changes small... adding one of the top C's would help develop Kadri in a position where he would succeed... Signing a Dman like Scuderi would help make our team better now (and gain playoff experience) so that when a player like Rielly takes over his spot he's been able to develop/adjust in the NHL in a winning culture.

The reason it's so hard for the oilers to start playing well even with 3 #1 overalls is because they've been losing year after year after year... they have an insane amount of talent but they don't know how to get out of a skid, maintain a lead, change momentum, etc.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
So far we have been thinking small. Ask this question next week. ;)

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Is it just me, or are we getting ahead of ourselves thinking about signing UFA's or trading for that big number 1 center? The Leafs aren't a lock to even make the playoffs next year despite our standings last season. I'd rather the Leafs kept slowly building and adding picks/prospects then blow our load trying to make ourselves better for short term gain. Like it or not, our two top guys are about to reach UFA status. We have to think about what our core is going to be when we really are ready to contend. Is augmenting the current group the way to go?

Tell me what you think, but please play nice.

How small are you talking? If they have there top 6 forwards under 5'9 i guarantee you 5/6 of them would be injured for a long time. And they would be one of the worst teams in the NHL. You can't have too much small players on your team. If your teams more smaller they wouldn't be as good. The players would feel unprotected and just scared. Not a good idea at all. NHL teams should not have more than 2 small players on a team. I am talking small like Nathan Gerbe small. Yes they are quick and all that. But who cares? they lose board battles. They get knocked around like a rag doll.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Is it just me, or are we getting ahead of ourselves thinking about signing UFA's or trading for that big number 1 center? The Leafs aren't a lock to even make the playoffs next year despite our standings last season. I'd rather the Leafs kept slowly building and adding picks/prospects then blow our load trying to make ourselves better for short term gain. Like it or not, our two top guys are about to reach UFA status. We have to think about what our core is going to be when we really are ready to contend. Is augmenting the current group the way to go?

Although the I agree with you about slow and steady, Nonis and Burke have built this team and prospect pool by being aggressive, mostly through trade. Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, and JVR are the Leafs best players and all were acquired via trade. Based on what Nonis has done so far this offseason it seems like he`s going to continue along this path.

Adding Bernier and Bolland without giving up any of their top prospects or 1st round picks is a really good sign that Nonis is sticking with the plan. I think the urgency this year is because the cap is going down and players that might normally not be available are now available for prices that are less than what they would be under normal circumstances.

I don`t expect Nonis to blow his brains tomorrow on free agents. If something makes sense he`ll do it, but if not he`ll be ready to help a team out of a cap bind when they realize they are stuck. So far I`m very pleased with Nonis, If he can make a big move that makes sense then he should go for it, if not continue to be patient and wait for his opportunites.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
I don't think we have a choice but to play small- we seem to be an incredibly undesirable team to most FAs the last several years.

That culture is changing, you will see tomorrow. #1C, #2RW power forward, top 4 D. If Nonis wants Kessel to stay he needs to show his balls now.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I think we are past thinking small right now.

Bernier was a fairly big move, changed the goaltending landscape and really solidified that position - an injury to Reimer and we still have a #1.

Getting Bolland was a small move, but very key, in terms of the domino effect. Suddenly, Bozak may be expendable.

Then the Grabo buyout . . . making it a wait and see for the next big move, as we either sign Bozak long term, or get a free agent centre (or make a trade).

It seems very likely to get a new centre, someone who could be the top line guy - that will be big. Could have been Briere or Lecavalier, now still could be Weiss, Ribeiro, or even bigger if through trade. Another solid defensive defenceman seems likely to be added. AND, the Clarkson rumour and MacArthur leaving seems imminent as well.

That's already alot . . . and although I hadn't advocated for all that at first, I like the thinking behind it. We over-achieved last year, and he's acting as if we finished 9th and really need to improve in key areas (which I agree with, and should be obvious to hockey people).

We are past small already, bud. Welocme to BigChangeTown.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

This team is an absolute lock to be a playoff team next year

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Being competitive consistently is one of the most important factors in winning a cup. We need to keep Kessel/Phaneuf and continue to make playoff runs for at least a couple years if we wanna contend. I think we need a balance of building through the draft and trades, because of our average age. Other teams such as Boston can't do that because by the time their prospects develop guys like Chara will be well out of their prime. (a large factor in their trade Seguin for Eriksson)

Our top players are still relatively young, so even in 3-4 years they'll still be able to play competitively (if they remain healthy) while allowing our prospects to develop. Having solid young players will make it easier to stay under the cap, and making trades for role players will help fill voids. The most important thing is just to progress year by year.

Tellqvist

Jun 29, 2013
www.icehockeyrumors.com

Amen!

I agree 100 %. If we sign Bozak to $ 4,5 M a year and Clarskon to $ 6,5 M a year we have tied up $ 10 M in two thirdliners.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Well, I don't mind over pay a bit for free agents (i.e. Connolly - it "only" costs us $ and cap space).

However trading picks/prospects for players is a riskier move which may or may not work out.

I also have problems with the current management failing to get picks (i.e. Mac, Liles). You need to buy low, sell high for long term success but currently Nonis seems to be a keen buyer but not a seller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad