Does anyone else believe that the Leafs should think small?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Is it just me, or are we getting ahead of ourselves thinking about signing UFA's or trading for that big number 1 center? The Leafs aren't a lock to even make the playoffs next year despite our standings last season. I'd rather the Leafs kept slowly building and adding picks/prospects then blow our load trying to make ourselves better for short term gain. Like it or not, our two top guys are about to reach UFA status. We have to think about what our core is going to be when we really are ready to contend. Is augmenting the current group the way to go?

Tell me what you think, but please play nice.

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
Id rather let bozak go and not acquire any UFA's then sign a long term inflated deal that we will regret in a year or 2.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Is it just me, or are we getting ahead of ourselves thinking about signing UFA's or trading for that big number 1 center? The Leafs aren't a lock to even make the playoffs next year despite our standings last season. I'd rather the Leafs kept slowly building and adding picks/prospects then blow our load trying to make ourselves better for short term gain. Like it or not, our two top guys are about to reach UFA status. We have to think about what our core is going to be when we really are ready to contend. Is augmenting the current group the way to go?

Here here. 100% agree. Although I've always preached the patient route, which nearly gets me killed by my buddies who want us to go for it now. I don't look at the 46 years, or the fact that before this year we hadn't make the playoffs since '04. Do you want to build a contender or not?
Slow and steady. Continue to add pieces to the puzzle. I think that's the way Nonis sees it as well (at least I'm sure hoping).

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I don't think we have a choice but to play small- we seem to be an incredibly undesirable team to most FAs the last several years.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think there are any UFA's that will be both affordable, AND make the team much better than where we sit right now.

We've got Kadri, Grabs, Colborne, McClement and Bolland. Unless Grabs is going somewhere else, we don't have room for another C. At this point my interest is in Couturier or Statsny as possible long-term solutions, not the UFA's that are available. I'm not even sure if those two are really available.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Id say we're getting damn close to contention.

maybe one more year of hitting say the 2nd round of playoffs, then I see this team being really rounded out.

We're not Edmonton core young, we're mid-20's, just missing a few key pieces, and we are filling those holes more and more each year!

I can smell deep playoff contention!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

At this point you may be right. When I thought of Vinnie possibly scoring 70ish points for the club for the next four years I was quite excited. It was looking like getting Sundin back, except with a supporting cast. When I think about Weiss or Grabo possibly getting 60ish points, or Boz getting 50 in the number one hole, the club just doesn't look like they are one player away from a run.

I like Stastny as a #1 more than Boz/Grabs/Weiss but he costs assets and a big salary, and is upcoming FA plus he has to turn back the clock a couple of years. And he is my GOOD option:) Clarkson I like but you always pay too much for FAs (except Vinnie) and what if he wants 5 years? And aren't their D really shakier than their forwards anyway? Wouldn't they be better off just keying on a single weakness, like top pairing D, and waiting a year to take a run? They have no people that are going to get worse in the next year except for maybe Lupul because he keeps getting hurt so they have some time.

But then you look at Philly and Dallas who are 20th place clubs chasing veteran FAs. Maybe the way really is to try to do it evey year, once you have most of the building blocks.

I don't see an obvious silver bullet to their #1 c issue. The Vinnie almost (if they were even seriopusly in on it) reminded me what it is like when they actually have a chance to properly fill a hole with an excellent candidate (big, strong, playmakiing point producer) rather than stopgaps. They missed the excellent candidate. Maybe they need to wait for another excellent fix and not spend money on band aids. The club may not want to take their foot off the pedal though I don't think it would bother me much if they did.

Edit: The Bolland acquisition doesn't make me think they plan to wait. He isn't cheap, and with only 1 guaranteed year of his services, is that really a move with the future in mind?

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I would agree with most of what you are saying.

I must admit I shake my head at some of the proposals that people make suggesting 7 or 8 moves that will turn us into a contender in one off season.

I would be content with a couple of "McClement like" signings to improve certain aspects of the team, rather than spending too much for a "big name" signing.

IMO the right approach is to add 2-3 pieces each year that you believe will improve the team for the next 3-5 years whether they be draft choices, trades or FA signings. But to your point, it's not as if the team is close enough that it can sacrifice too much future in order to "get over the hump".

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At this point you may be right. When I thought of Vinnie possibly scoring 70ish points for the club for the next four years I was quite excited. It was looking like getting Sundin back, except with a supporting cast. When I think about Weiss or Grabo possibly getting 60ish points, or Boz getting 50 in the number one hole, the club just doesn't look like they are one player away from a run.

I like Stastny as a #1 more than Boz/Grabs/Weiss but he costs assets and a big salary, and is upcoming FA plus he has to turn back the clock a couple of years. And he is my GOOD option:) Clarkson I like but you always pay too much for FAs (except Vinnie) and what if he wants 5 years? And aren't their D really shakier than their forwards anyway? Wouldn't they be better off just keying on a single weakness, like top pairing D, and waiting a year to take a run? They have no people that are going to get worse in the next year except for maybe Lupul because he keeps getting hurt so they have some time.

But then you look at Philly and Dallas who are 20th place clubs chasing veteran FAs. Maybe the way really is to try to do it evey year, once you have most of the building blocks.

I don't see an obvious silver bullet to their #1 c issue. The Vinnie almost (if they were even seriopusly in on it) reminded me what it is like when they actually have a chance to properly fill a hole with an excellent candidate (big, strong, playmakiing point producer) rather than stopgaps. They missed the excellent candidate. Maybe they need to wait for another excellent fix and not spend money on band aids. The club may not want to take their foot off the pedal though I don't think it would bother me much if they did.

I really think Stastny would be a #1 C for us. He'd have some good wingers and a fresh change of scenery.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Id say we're getting damn close to contention.

maybe one more year of hitting say the 2nd round of playoffs, then I see this team being really rounded out.

We're not Edmonton core young, we're mid-20's, just missing a few key pieces, and we are filling those holes more and more each year!

I can smell deep playoff contention!

I hope you're right. I believe our shooting percentage last year was unsustainable. It'll be tough to even make the playoffs. I'll be happy if we simply repeat our results from last season.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like the Leafs have some of the best wingers in the league. Lupul, Kessel, JVR, the teams that have superior wingers are contenders

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I hope you're right. I believe our shooting percentage last year was unsustainable. It'll be tough to even make the playoffs. I'll be happy if we simply repeat our results from last season.

The shooting percentage is unsustainable.

And because of that, although they brought our GA down from 264 to 227 (82gm projection) last year, the team still needs to shave another 15-20 off that total in order to be considered a legitimate contender.

IMO that should be the priority over the next 2 seasons before focussing on finding the next stud forward to put up 75 pts.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
NO terrible idea. You have to give the fans something. We already pay the biggest prices, you have to use the cap space, or why even bother going to the games if they're that high! Our fan base deserves the best this ownership and management can provide.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you think about it the Leafs are going to be very very different next year. Frattin, Komarov, Grabovski, MacArthur, maybe Bozak. Whomever we get to replace those forwards there might be a ton of chemistry problems next year.

wulfio*

lupul extended last year, dont know who you're talking about. Kessel and?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Burke and Nonis have done a good job of acquiring young talent that can help us both now and in the future. For instance, both Bernier & Bolland are 24 & 27, and still have lots of good hockey in front of them.

Right now our core is:

JVR, Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Lupul, Rielly and whichever of Bernier & Reimer wins the battle in net next year.

The oldest member of that group is Lupul, at 29. The average age of these players is 24.2 years. I trust Nonis to continue to add players that can help us win both now, and in the future.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I agree with much of what the OP said but I think adding a guy like Horton for ~5mil in free agency is vital to continuing our success this coming season. We can afford them, he is still young they will be here when we are legit contenders. One piece at a time and that piece costs us ZERO assets other than money which we have a lot of right now. Resign Kessel and Dion, sign Horton try and get another bandage type center that hopefully pays off better than TC did. Either Bozak or Weiss whatever will sign a 2-3 year deal...4max if its Bozak and it better be 4m or less a year for Bozak. After this season we should understand which goalie will be our future #1...hopefully then we just need to wait for Rielly and maybe Finn or Percy to make the jump and then we can trade some future maybe for a true #1 once we are ready.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
There really isn't any UFA's who will make a big enough impact for us to go crazy over.

Horton is kind of a big deal, to me at least. Love his compete, really highly skilled big man. Sadly he has concussion issues but I would still love to have him for 4 years or so.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
On second thought, looking at all that's transpired this week, maybe the Leafs need to be more aggressive, not only on the UFA market but through trades as well? This looks like a big summer to re-cast the team. This year and next year anyway.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Nonis will not make any moves that jeopordize the future, but at the same time we want to build on last years success. Bolland is pretty young still, but has the stabalizing experience this team was seriously lacking last year. Bernier gives up depth at the most important position, and is also still young.

Noting we gave up (not even the 2nd round picks that everyone seems to be crying about :shakehead ) was part of our long term core. At the same time, adding a Clarkson or someone to give us a more physical edge only helps the team - and buys us time to not rush guys like Biggs who likely aren't ready.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Horton I don't think is worth pursuing at big bucks. I'd take Clarkson over Horton (injury concerns alone). Weiss - how much of a problem is his wrist issues (going back to his days in Plymouth I think)? He could be an interesting, and potentially key candidate for #1C - he put up 60 pts on a terrible Florida team - could Kessel and Lupul/JVR on a line with him up the middle be deadly? Sure could, but if he gets hurt again, then what......

What about Ribiero (at a reasonable deal of course) as a #1 candidate - he HAS put up good numbers with various linemates....

I am concerned with forward depth as it currently stands - there are lots of 3rd line guys in the pipeline (Biggs, Ross, Broll, Ashton), but not many top line guys that I see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad