Does Anybody Here Remember Vera Lynn? (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXVIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Daly's statement is either going to be a hit or miss.

You could honestly make a tv drama out of this...

At this stage is it really going to be a miss? Regardless of what Fehr or the players keep saying it is clear they are far from even seeing eye to eye on a number of issues. Those comments by Daly can't make things much worse. If anything maybe they trigger some questions from union members who might have been told something completely false.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Daly's statement is either going to be a hit or miss.

You could honestly make a tv drama out of this...

I'm optimistic about this and the season eventually happening this year, and I think that will be a miss. We will find out shortly, definitely a bad feeling about this though.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
I'm going to go ahead and echo what someone said last page about Bill Daly; maybe I'm nieve, but he's got to be the one coming out of all this as level headed and in a positive light. He's obviously frustrated with where this is going and how things have gone to this point. I don't think he would fire off an email like that without meaning what he's saying.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Keeping with the music theme but veering away from Floyd, maybe Fastball's "Where were they going without ever knowing the way," seems to be an appropriate title for the next thread, for multiple reasons...

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Good on Daly to finally show some teeth. Once again, after putting the pieces together, I am led to believe that this is the union completely ****ing things up.

The owners want to get a deal done! The players want to get a deal done! Why does Fehr not want to get a deal done?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Still a long way off from that happening. In theory they could go down as little as 12 games and hold a everyone gets in Stanley Cuo tournament with an added mini round (with the 12 games just determine seeding and first round bye for top seed)

Realistically I don't think they'll do any less than a 36-game season (four division games, two against the rest of the conference) which is probably where they were headed in '04 when they left the date till mid-February, otherwise what's the point? Then it's just a glorified playoff and not a real season.

I wouldn't even want less than the 48 games of '95 really, but I'll take 36 just to avoid nuclear meltdown although if this season does get canceled I'll be hoping they stay out forever until Fehr AND Bettman are both ruined by this.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
That offer wasn't there to be negotiated on, there was "minor tweaking" available and make whole came from future player salaries. This deal is much better imo

So you're going to totally disregard the lost games, which was my whole point?

Awesome!!!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Daly is reaching out to players. I think Daly is sounding the war horn. Whether it's a threat they're going to make good on remains to be seen, but his comments are calculated. Everything said by the league and PA are calculated. Why make a rash of comments about the union and Fehr at this moment? I think the league must know that taken this action while it could put severe pressure on the union, it could have the opposite effect and make them more unified. I have to think that the league has taken this into consideration and it's possible that they've decided that if the latter is the result of their comments, then they're prepared to lose the season.

Again, could just be a threat that they don't plan on cashing in on but at the very least, I think they want their comments to make the PA think just how much further they're willing to push them because their comments SEEM like the line has finally been drawn in the sand.

This drama is better than regurgitation of old lockout news anyway. If both sides are going to be stubborn ***** about it, they might as well give me some good material to be entertained with.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Good on Daly to finally show some teeth. Once again, after putting the pieces together, I am led to believe that this is the union completely ****ing things up.

The owners want to get a deal done! The players want to get a deal done! Why does Fehr not want to get a deal done?

really its Fehr's ego versus the big bad billionaire owners. Unfortunately the players, fans, and NHL in general lose out. Its the Fehr show in his mind.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Sure did not take much time for a PA response.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA NHLPA fires back via Steve Fehr: "Of course everyone on the players' side want to reach an agreement. The players have offered the..."

#CBA "...concessions worth about a billion dollars. What exactly have the owners offered the players? We believe that it is more likely..."

#CBA "...that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet. If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be..."

#CBA "...at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the ..."

#CBA "...players meet their preconditions. What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What's the point in meeting if the players are not willing to negotiate?

Agreed. The Fehr brothers are the worst thing to ever happen to hockey. They are destroying the NHL and the players either don't want to or can't see it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're acting as if Fehr doesn't actually know where to go. He does, and its just as much posturing as the NHL.

How he went with MLB is not the same shewed NHL owners with a thriving business, unlike the MLB woes of his time frame there.

This is a completely different animal. Those tactics won't jive here.

How can Fehr ever justify to the players that losing one/two seasons is gonna benefit these players right now? The longer the lockout lasts the more they lose, even if they win their money, *all of it minus the lost seasons* how is losing (I'll use J-Neal's 5.0/10.0) when they're not gonna make that even with a better HRR share % over the length of their contract.

There's a time and a place for what he's doing. He should have saved it for a strike, not a lockout.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

What worries me about this whole thing is Fehr probably got some ironclad promises that he won't be overthrown or overruled when they brought him out of 'retirement'. So if Fehr's really free to wage nuclear war (which he can't wait to do) then it's time for me to start liking the NBA again :shakehead

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Steve Fehr: "We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet."

If you don't know how to proceed, will you arrange meetings to stare at each other's face and hope that something miraculous happens? If they're ready to meet, the league may just sit on their hands and wait for the PA to come to the table with someone in hand.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Most hockey fans want to be a hockey player, but don't have the talent
Most hockey fans want to be an owner, but don't have the money

They need each other equally. Owners need players (hence, the contract issues and necessity for limiting contracts) just as much as the players need them to sign their paycheques. One doesn't happen without the other.

No they don't.

The owners can easily find replacement players, which will eventually break the NHLPA.

The players can't find 30 different billionaires to start a new league and pay them an average of 2.1M a season.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC

#CBA "...players meet their preconditions. What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"

#CBA "...at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the ..."

#CBA "...that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet. If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be..."

#CBA "...concessions worth about a billion dollars. What exactly have the owners offered the players? We believe that it is more likely..."

#CBA NHLPA fires back via Steve Fehr: "Of course everyone on the players' side want to reach an agreement. The players have offered the..."

Wow. It seems the gloves indeed are off. i can't believe such the 360 in 7 days. This is the definition of pure childish.

Sep 13, 2009
Gary Bettman yesterday: "We are ready and willing to meet with the PA anytime."

Gary Bettman today: "We are proposing we don't meet for the next 2 weeks."

I don't think he even knows which end he's talking out of. :facepalm:

JAX

Apr 7, 2009
Sault Ste. Marie
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Steve Fehr: "We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet."

Please, it's utter *********, what are they going to o give the NHL the same proposal for 6th time? It's more BS and propoganda to keep the players and PA schills in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad